New Player Question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Hastur360

Hastur360

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:56 AM

I am new to this game. My friend has the core set. I want to play House Greyjoy and wonder if purchasing the Kings of the Sea box would be enough for me to make a deck that would be playable with the decks you can build from one core set? It doesn't have to be tournament level competitive just enough to play against the four base decks that can be constructed out of one Core set.

#2 Old Ben

Old Ben

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:52 AM

The Greyjoy box allows you to build a deck that´s on the same level as the Core Set decks. Just make sure you get the reprinted version. 

The difference is that the original box had each card x1 and the expansion has each card x3. 

Oh and it would be good if you had a few plots at hand to make a more viable plot deck, e.g. including Valar Morghulis or maybe wildfire assault should be necessary for a much more reliable deck. But you could of course agree with your firned to allow one or two proxies in the plot deck.

#3 Saturnine

Saturnine

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:05 AM

Old Ben said:

The Greyjoy box allows you to build a deck that´s on the same level as the Core Set decks. Just make sure you get the reprinted version. 

The difference is that the original box had each card x1 and the expansion has each card x3. 

Yes, make sure you get the box that says "Revised Edition"

#4 Hastur360

Hastur360

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 01:50 PM

Thank you for the replies as they are very helpful and I will be getting the "revised" box. What play style would you say the Greyjoys are? Or is there a comparable thing as in other ccg/lcg's. To be honest I am just getting into this whole Game of Thrones thing, and I like them because of their house symbol. I played the Lannister deck from the Core Set and witnessed the playing of the Stark and Baratheon decks.

#5 Saturnine

Saturnine

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 06:35 PM

Hastur360 said:

Thank you for the replies as they are very helpful and I will be getting the "revised" box. What play style would you say the Greyjoys are? Or is there a comparable thing as in other ccg/lcg's. To be honest I am just getting into this whole Game of Thrones thing, and I like them because of their house symbol. I played the Lannister deck from the Core Set and witnessed the playing of the Stark and Baratheon decks.

Well, out of the three houses you mentioned, they are probably closest to Stark in that they have a strong military presence, but they have plenty of power icons as well; and they, like Stark, are on the lower end with regards to intrigue. One of their themes is making unopposed challenges for the extra power. Variations of builds based on this often do well in melee games. However, what is probably their most effective joust deck type is not available to you without purchasing a whole bunch of chapter packs - that deck being the so-called "Choke" deck, focusing on limiting your opponent's ressources and thus mainting control of the board. There's also the "Raiding" theme, introduced in later chapter packs, that focuses on discarding cards from your opponent's deck; while this is annoying the heck out of your opponent, it's not necessarily a winning strategy.

Anyhow, with just the Greyjoy box at your disposal, you'll likely be focusing on just dominating in military and perhaps power challenges, and grabbing additional power through unopposed challenges.

#6 Hastur360

Hastur360

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 05:00 AM

Thank you very much to everyone that answered and now I have an idea of what I am in store for and am looking forward to getting my King of Seas "revised" box so I can start playing.

I am curious though as to what Chapter Packs people who play Greyjoy would suggest to get? I know the easy answer is to try and get them all but I was curious if there are any packs that are extremely helpful and should be first purchases?

#7 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 06:59 AM

The chapter packs will depend on the type of deck you'd like to build.  The Time for Ravens chapter pack cycle focuses on the seasons mechanic, where Greyjoy excels when it's Winter for a choke deck type. 
If you like that, then Forging the Chains chapter pack may be helpful to you are well since it contains Burned and Pillaged.
The Wildling Horde has a Greyjoy attachment called "Pulled Under" that you can play on a character giving you problems as well.

The A Song of Silence chapter pack contains a lot of Greyjoy cards too.

Hard to narrow in on the best chapter packs for you without knowing what your deck building plans are...

#8 Old Ben

Old Ben

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:08 AM

To generalize it a little bit more. I think it´s best to purchase the Greyjoy deck have a few games played with the cards and probably come back with a half of an idea which theme or cards do you liked best in the deck you already got. It´s so much easier to give a little council than. 

However the latest cycle of chapter packs seems to have some major improvements for house Greyjoy & and all the cards in there are packed x3. 

Just to catch up with another thought, you mentioned your friend is playing the other houses, are there probably some cp which are espcially interesting to him so you may exchange some of the cards.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS