Photo

The Hopeless Gamer has pictures from Gencon.

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 pwvogt

pwvogt

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:46 AM

Taking a break from running around the convention hall, I took a couple of minutes to upload some pictures from the demo set at FFG's booth. I did an interview as well about the game and will be posting more at the blog in the coming days both about this game and the LCG. You can find the image post here: http://thehopelessga...g-and-star.html

#2 Dog Solitude

Dog Solitude

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:06 AM

pwvogt said:

Taking a break from running around the convention hall, I took a couple of minutes to upload some pictures from the demo set at FFG's booth. I did an interview as well about the game and will be posting more at the blog in the coming days both about this game and the LCG. You can find the image post here: http://thehopelessga...g-and-star.html

Thanks for the pictures.  I'll be looking forward to your blog posts.  Added you to the twitter feed, too.

#3 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:14 AM

Interesting but needs more Deathstar.

Alex

#4 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:25 AM

Well, there's some good, hard news & pix! Good job - thanks! Hey, I was pretty close to right (on some post somewhere, LOL): apparently six TIEs and three X-Wings.

#5 Green Leader

Green Leader

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:51 AM

The minis themselves look great! Not all bent out of shape and mangled like the Starship Battles minis.

I can't tell if the game is fun from the pictures, obviously, but I can't wait to try it out once it releases.

#6 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:59 AM

Yeah, check those skinny, straight lil' solar panels on the TIEs!! Gotta say, I'm definitely in.

Something else for the poor wife to pull her hair out over.

#7 Chimaera

Chimaera

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:18 AM

Thanks for the pic's pwvogt. This actually looks like Starship Battles for grown ups and the minis look better quality than the WOTC ones in the material they are using as there appears to be less warping/bending. I may just be interested in a space battles based minis game if the reviews are positive. It would also be good to understand/hear how all the ship profiles, characters, equipment & tokens etc add to the game mechanic.

#8 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 777 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 10:01 AM

I'm gonna need a bigger job...

IV  V  VI  I  III  II

#9 plokoon9619

plokoon9619

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 10:15 AM

I would prefer if they didn't use pilots who are already established as characters for generic pieces. 

#10 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 777 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 10:49 AM

Gotta say, I hope we'll get those starfield boards in the boxed game:

But I kind of doubt it, 'cause they're really big. They certainly make the fighters pop, though. If we don't get 'em, I may have to go buy some of that 'starfield' fabric that everyone was buying at Walmart for Starship Battles...

IV  V  VI  I  III  II

#11 SacredRoach

SacredRoach

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 12:19 PM

Sad Panda

These look like nothing more than the Starship Battles minis done in hard plastic instead of the soft plastic that bent all out of shape.

I was hoping for something larger or grander...sigh.  But this does tend to affirm my belief that Lucasfilm owned the casts for the SW:CMG, so we can probably also look forward to some of those reappearing in FFG format.

The only bright point in my outlook is a chance to get more ARC-170s...

#12 R5Don4

R5Don4

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 01:08 PM

it actually looks very similar to Wings of War which is to be expected with giant manoeuvre tiles instead of the little cards.  Can't say I'm disappointed.

Great forum http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/index

Looking for a game in the Greater Toronto Area?  We can hook you up https://www.facebook...ups/6738327518/

#13 R5Don4

R5Don4

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 01:19 PM

I. J. Thompson said:

Gotta say, I hope we'll get those starfield boards in the boxed game:

But I kind of doubt it, 'cause they're really big. They certainly make the fighters pop, though. If we don't get 'em, I may have to go buy some of that 'starfield' fabric that everyone was buying at Walmart for Starship Battles...

If they follow the WoW model as it appears they are, the starfield will be available for about $40 a pop that you can buy multiples of and put together and make a larger play area.  I was hoping they would be smaller but at least they will be nice hard plastic.  The bendy wings and guns are a thing of the past, yay!

Great forum http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/index

Looking for a game in the Greater Toronto Area?  We can hook you up https://www.facebook...ups/6738327518/

#14 Dog Solitude

Dog Solitude

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 01:28 PM

R5Don4 said:

If they follow the WoW model as it appears they are, the starfield will be available for about $40 a pop that you can buy multiples of and put together and make a larger play area.  I was hoping they would be smaller but at least they will be nice hard plastic.  The bendy wings and guns are a thing of the past, yay!

So, $40 on top of the $40 starter set cost?  Eek.  How big are they?  At least, if I decide to buy in, I can drive to their headquarters and buy one.

#15 stsparks72

stsparks72

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 01:58 PM

Cool pics!  Although the sculpts look familiar I'm hoping the game play is better than SSB.  I will definitely give it a try.  Thanks for sharing.

Bleep Bloop Blot!

#16 ajtheronin

ajtheronin

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 02:07 PM

Dog Solitude said:

R5Don4 said:

So, $40 on top of the $40 starter set cost?  Eek.  How big are they?  At least, if I decide to buy in, I can drive to their headquarters and buy one.

I think he means by  "starfield" the starter.

Each is $40.00 and you can buy multiples to expand.

I was told the starter will contain 3 X-Wings and 6 Tie-Fighters but I have no way to confirm that (since I'm not at GenCon).

#17 Dog Solitude

Dog Solitude

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 02:25 PM

ajtheronin said:

I think he means by  "starfield" the starter.

Each is $40.00 and you can buy multiples to expand.[/quote]

Gotcha.  Thought could be it.

ajtheronin said:

I was told the starter will contain 3 X-Wings and 6 Tie-Fighters but I have no way to confirm that (since I'm not at GenCon).

It appears that way.  I'm sure we'll find out when the blog posts come in the next few days.

#18 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 777 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 03:50 PM

Hmm... the OCD part of me was concerned that, when the RPG eventually does come out, the info on the bases of these ships might not have anything to do with that game, and 'ruin the immersion' (I know, I worry about pointless things ).

But looking closer at these photos, I can see now that those graphics aren't attached to the bases at all - you pick your pilot, grab his corresponding 'info chit', drop into onto the plastic base, stick the peg through the hole in the center, and mount the fighter on top.

Cool. 

IV  V  VI  I  III  II

#19 Armydillo978

Armydillo978

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 03:58 PM

ak-73 said:

Interesting but needs more Deathstar.

Alex

Nothing cures a fever like the Deathstar.  

Wonder how the scale of these fighters match up to the WotC figures.  If the scales are good, I can see some homebrew's being done from Starship Battles figures.  The Falcon vs Slave 1.   

#20 Dog Solitude

Dog Solitude

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 04:03 PM

I. J. Thompson said:

Hmm... the OCD part of me was concerned that, when the RPG eventually does come out, the info on the bases of these ships might not have anything to do with that game, and 'ruin the immersion' (I know, I worry about pointless things ).

But looking closer at these photos, I can see now that those graphics aren't attached to the bases at all - you pick your pilot, grab his corresponding 'info chit', drop into onto the plastic base, stick the peg through the hole in the center, and mount the fighter on top.

Cool. 

Dude, how long until you've deduced the entire ruleset to the game?  

One thing I noticed--I was able to edit a post earlier today.  I now no longer have the edit option available to me. 

EDIT:  I guess you can edit your post until someone else has posted after you.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS