Collectible?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kaffis

kaffis

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:51 AM

As somebody who enjoys tactical flight-based wargames, but has difficulty convincing people to play Crimson Skies or the various historical rulesets, the notion of this announcement intrigues me.

One thing gives me pause, though: Is this intended to be "collectible", distributed in random packs and whatnot, as the Wizards of the Coast starship battles game was? That's a quick way to kill my interest. If I can purchase what I want to expand my fleet, as it were, directly and without rarity shenanigans, and the game is more concerned with creating tactically interesting and playstyle-customized rosters and load-outs, than I'm certainly listening.

Thanks for the info, if anybody's able to provide it!

#2 Briper82

Briper82

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 04:04 AM

Reading the description, it sound like the minis will be released like Wings of War.

That's just my opinion/speculation.

Brian

#3 pocoyo_joe

pocoyo_joe

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 04:39 AM

the Wings of War minis look okay on the website, however I've never seen one in the flesh (so to speak), so I'll have to reserve judgement as yet, looks promising though

#4 borithan

borithan

• Members
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:48 AM

Hmm.... if they are the same size (roughly) I will be a bit dissapointed. They wouldn't fit with the original micro-machine ones which I still regard as the best of the Star Wars miniatures.

#5 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 01:35 PM

I don't know a great deal about Fantasy Flight Games, but from what I've seen (Wings of War, Dust Tactics) you know exactly what you're getting.

#6 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 01:37 PM

Briper82 said:

Reading the description, it sound like the minis will be released like Wings of War.

That's just my opinion/speculation.

Brian

Curiosity: What is the medium for WoW aircraft? A soft poly, a hard styrene, or metal?

#7 vojvoda

vojvoda

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 10:31 AM

Here is a link to the video interview at Gencon. From what Fantasy Flight Games said in the interview they do not do the "collectible" or words to that extent type of games.   FANTASTIC! I HATE those, I use to buy Star Wars Miniatures just to get Snowtroopers and Hoth Figures, cost me a ton and have 100s of figures I will never use.

http://www.beastsofwar.com/events/gen-con/star-wars-x-wing/

VR
James Mattes

#8 algi

algi

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 10:47 PM

And I hope you don't have to buy the Imperial and the Rebel sides seperately, but the expansions will have thematically paired and balanced adversaries.

#9 bsmith13

bsmith13

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:17 AM

FFG has repeatedly stated that they don't/won't produce any "blind buy" products.  So I'm fairly certain that "collectible" doesn't mean you will be buying a pack where you don't know exactly what you are getting.

#10 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:16 PM

bsmith13 said:

FFG has repeatedly stated that they don't/won't produce any "blind buy" products.  So I'm fairly certain that "collectible" doesn't mean you will be buying a pack where you don't know exactly what you are getting.

About that stuff regarding no "blind buys," does FFG actually say which cards are in each pack and what they do? I can see how that's just asking for people to copy them without buying products, but I still can't help but feel that, even if I know what ship it is, I won't know if I really want that pack or not until I know what cards it comes with.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS