Please don't let this be like the others

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 darthbalmung

darthbalmung

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:22 PM

Right now my one hope for this is that FFG doesn't go the route of other LCG core sets and doesn't require people to buy multiple copies of the core set in order to get 3x copies of cards. 

#2 TheLightdarker

TheLightdarker

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:43 PM

"Play all your favorite heroes from the classic trilogy in Star Wars: The Card Game. This cooperative Living Card Game for 1-4 players* pits players against the Empire's vast military might as the Rebel Alliance once again finds itself in a race to complete a desperate mission.

* Players can create two standard tournament decks with the contents of a single core set."

Sounds a lot like how LOTR LCG was marketed, so I'm gonna bet that there will be only 1-2 copies of certain cards. 

#3 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:44 PM

darthbalmung said:

Right now my one hope for this is that FFG doesn't go the route of other LCG core sets and doesn't require people to buy multiple copies of the core set in order to get 3x copies of cards. 

They won't. I can't remember which, but one of the several blurbs about the game that you can find on this website confirms that one Core Set will be all you'll need. FFG knows they made a mistake, and they're correcting it. Now let's hope they go back and print 3x versions of the other LCG Core Sets...

EDIT: Aww darn, that's the same thing I read. I wonder why I interpreted it to mean they'll be 3x of cards. Wishful thinking, I guess. :(

#4 Hellfury

Hellfury

• Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:54 PM

MarthWMaster said:

Wishful thinking, I guess. :(

Yep. It is a shame that FFG do not understand that more people would buy more of their products if they didn't seem like it has a hidden cash grab agenda attached to it.

That may seem like I am attributing malice to FFG's marketing mindset, and it isn't.

It just boggles the mind how they can ignore how lossleaders produce more money in the face of their change of the LCG expansion packs to include 3x of each card.

Hanlon's razor applies here:

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

The marketing approach is shortminded for the short term. The "quick buck" so to speak.

It would be wise to remember this when pursuing this as a gaming investment for the long term when the stewards of that license think in such short term ways.

#5 Vase

Vase

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:38 PM

darthbalmung said:

I'm not sure why people have rushed out and bought multiple copies of the core set.  It seems to me that its only a matter of time before you can buy a Gandalf card on ebay for $.99 or whatever.  

#6 spirit

spirit

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:45 PM

I was happy enough with the LOTR core set, I've had no problems with it. I will get a second at some point but it's not a priority and it was easily playable out of the box. I expect the same here as well :) 

#7 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 01:23 AM

You don't need multiples of any of the core sets and if they made every card 3 copies of each it would reduce the amount of card variety. I would rather have a bigger mix of cards than 3 copies of a much smaller pool of cards. This has been discussed to death in every other LCG forum and the reasons for it can be found in several places.

#8 Darksbane

Darksbane

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:16 AM

Toqtamish said:

You don't need multiples of any of the core sets and if they made every card 3 copies of each it would reduce the amount of card variety. I would rather have a bigger mix of cards than 3 copies of a much smaller pool of cards. This has been discussed to death in every other LCG forum and the reasons for it can be found in several places.

Exactly, I'd take 300 unique cards over 100 unique cards at 3x each any day. The main problem I had with LotR is that even buying multiple core sets deck building options are limited and with half the adventure packs taken up by encounter cards the player card pool expands very slowly.

Cardgamedb.com - The source for Game of Thrones, Star Wars, Android: Netrunner, Lord of the Rings, Call of Cthulhu, and Warhammer: Invasion deckbuilders and spoilers. Now with 100% more FFG!

#9 pocoyo_joe

pocoyo_joe

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:20 AM

Seems to me that this "living card game" idea is much more sensible than previous SW card games, where folks buy packet after packet and still don't get the cards they want. This system eliminates that mad random factor and gets rid off rare or chase cards. Crikey even I might get into this new SW card game as the random/blind factor is what has always put me off in the past.

this seems more like a grown up Top Trumps, and all the better for it

#10 SystemIsDown

SystemIsDown

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:24 AM

Well if it's like LOTR it will be more challenging NOT having 3x of every card. Two or three core sets makes the game too easy, IMO.

#11 ImmortalJedi

ImmortalJedi

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:42 AM

Although a part of me will miss chasing that exclusive rare or premium card, I'm glad it won't be randomized cards in each pack. Took me a while, but I finally tracked down all the SW CCG cards...except for the tournament foils. Still working on the TCG cards (although I didn't collect them when they were originally released since I was bummed about the license change at the time). Thankfully eBay and online single purchases helped me make sure I completed the minis sets.

#12 borithan

borithan

• Members
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:53 AM

What they could do instead is rule that you can only have as many cards in your deck as appear in the sets. It would mean that particularly powerful cards could be limited to 2 (or even 1) copy per deck. You would only ever need 1 of any product, but you could have some of the greater variety provided by not having to publish 3 of everything.

#13 spirit

spirit

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:57 AM

Borithan, that is what they tend to do with tournament decks anyway. Limit the number of 'killer' cards to fewer allowed than compared to lesser cards. 

#14 darthbalmung

darthbalmung

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:39 AM

Toqtamish said:

And i'd rather the core set have a  smaller card pool so the decks themselves are more consistent and provide a better foundation for deckbuilding from one set than having to pay multiples in order to get the same effect.   

#15 Quizoid

Quizoid

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:45 AM

darthbalmung said:

Here here.

I'm hoping for a 3x starter or at least a "chapter 0" pack that offers the complements to the cards in the original game. (Meaning, if you get 2 wookies and 1 light saber in the base set, you get 1 wookie and 2 light sabers in the 'chapter 0' pack).

#16 Kiwina

Kiwina

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:26 AM

Quizoid said:

darthbalmung said:

Here here.

I'm hoping for a 3x starter or at least a "chapter 0" pack that offers the complements to the cards in the original game. (Meaning, if you get 2 wookies and 1 light saber in the base set, you get 1 wookie and 2 light sabers in the 'chapter 0' pack).

Something like that would be fantastic.

#17 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:24 AM

seeing as how we have been told repeatedly it is not going to happen for any other of the 4 previous LCG's including the biggest, AGoT, I would not hold my breath.

#18 jgt7771

jgt7771

Saving the world from cosmic evil since 2006

• Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 04:26 AM

ImmortalJedi said:

Although a part of me will miss chasing that exclusive rare or premium card, I'm glad it won't be randomized cards in each pack. Took me a while, but I finally tracked down all the SW CCG cards...except for the tournament foils. Still working on the TCG cards (although I didn't collect them when they were originally released since I was bummed about the license change at the time). Thankfully eBay and online single purchases helped me make sure I completed the minis sets.

When Call of Cthulhu went from CCG to LCG, I thought I would have a part of me that missed trying to track those cards down.  However, as it turns out, I don't.  I did a thorough check and NO PART of me is missing tracking down and overpaying for singles, let alone chase foils and promos.  When I think of the colossal amounts of cash I put into Decipher (which apparently did neither of us any good), I want to cry.  And once Decipher went down, most of my card friends got out of the biz entirely...so...useless piles of cards.

Which makes me want to get involved with this game even more: collecting and deck-building without the fear of it becoming extinct as long as I want to play it.

What was that noise?

#19 PWBrian

PWBrian

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:11 AM

jgt7771 said:

When Call of Cthulhu went from CCG to LCG, I thought I would have a part of me that missed trying to track those cards down.  However, as it turns out, I don't.  I did a thorough check and NO PART of me is missing tracking down and overpaying for singles, let alone chase foils and promos.  

Absolutely.  I used to love opening boxes of randomized packs.  Sure, I'd spend a fortune on boxes and only get four of the ten cards I was actually looking for, but when I found those four it was exciting.  The problem with that is it's only exciting to find those cards because it's so frustrating to open pack after pack of cards you don't want or need.

#20 Quizoid

Quizoid

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:45 AM

PWBrian said:

jgt7771 said:

When Call of Cthulhu went from CCG to LCG, I thought I would have a part of me that missed trying to track those cards down.  However, as it turns out, I don't.  I did a thorough check and NO PART of me is missing tracking down and overpaying for singles, let alone chase foils and promos.  

Absolutely.  I used to love opening boxes of randomized packs.  Sure, I'd spend a fortune on boxes and only get four of the ten cards I was actually looking for, but when I found those four it was exciting.  The problem with that is it's only exciting to find those cards because it's so frustrating to open pack after pack of cards you don't want or need.

As a former Magic player and a current boardgamer, I can say the satisfaction, dollar for dollar, of opening a board game far exceedes the satisfaction of opening packs of Magic cards.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS