Expanded Universe

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 plokoon9619

plokoon9619

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:02 AM

So will this game expand to include Star Fighters like the E-wing, Prey-bird, Starviper, etc, or will it be strictly be Movies? Hopefully this game sticks to GCW material only which would include the Movies up to before the NJO period. 

#2 R5Don4

R5Don4

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:22 PM

or maybe they will just stick to the OT for now and forever  XD  Seriously though, I'm sure they will cover all the bases, more product means more sales.

Nice to see you slumming it over here too Plo.

Great forum http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/index

Looking for a game in the Greater Toronto Area?  We can hook you up https://www.facebook...ups/6738327518/

#3 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:13 PM

It'll totally be driven by sales, of course. Expect to see "boosters (or whatever)" with Y-wings, TIE Interceptors, A-Wings and the like very quickly; but as to whether we'll see TIE Defenders, E-Wings, Z-95 Headhunters (much less Sith interceptors and the like!) will be entirely dependant on the reception of the product. That will in turn be shaped by the quality; I have no doubt the minis will be dandy (having seen Dust Tactics), but the best of minis can be rendered moot by a crappy ruleset (SSB come to mind?).

#4 marcemtp

marcemtp

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:57 PM

i am all for figters from the movies but the expande universe would also be great. chriss claw craft or vong coral skippers would be also cool to see.

#5 pocoyo_joe

pocoyo_joe

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:33 AM

I'm all for EU starships, after all this may be the only way we see some ships immortalised in plastic ... assuming the minis are plastic?!

#6 PWBrian

PWBrian

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:28 AM

pocoyo_joe said:

I'm all for EU starships, after all this may be the only way we see some ships immortalised in plastic ... assuming the minis are plastic?!

Pretty sure we're looking at plastic for these.

#7 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 12:35 PM

Hopefully HARD plastic, polysteyrene or ABS, rather than that accursed flexible stuff that makes TIE fighters all fat & warped.

#8 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 12:52 PM

... oh, and maybe SOMEDAY I'll get my #&%*$@!! Ebon Hawk. Grrr!!!

#9 pocoyo_joe

pocoyo_joe

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:24 PM

IG-58 said:

... oh, and maybe SOMEDAY I'll get my #&%*$@!! Ebon Hawk. Grrr!!!

Yes the Ebon Hawk is long overdue a physical representation, it's the Falcon for KOTOR (the best 2 SW video games ever)

I'd love the Rogue Shadow too, I know it was done in Lego but I've never been into Lego.

Plus any of Mara Jade's starships

#10 Squid89

Squid89

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 03:12 AM

Other than the obvious movie-heavy fighters, I would like to think they might go into EU quickly.  Just remaking the ships from SSB would be a wasted opportunity to rope in those of us that already collected them.  I know they would appeal to a new audience, but FFG should tap into the established source of consumers.  I healthy mix would help with initial sales and make it easier to justify the less-mainstream EU pieces that could hook part of the market for good.  Without knowing how the expansions will be made or even how the ships will be packaged, it is hard to say though for certain.  I wouldn't mind seeing a pack with assorted vehicles - even ones that tie into a novel (or series) to connect to the EU.  Micromachines did something like that back in the day.

#11 borithan

borithan

• Members
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 04:27 AM

I have a sneaking suspicion they will be a different scale from the SSB ships (and Micromachines, who I still feel did the best miniatures. Even though their figures were tiny that just meant you could have big groups in a small playing area, and the fighters just felt they were the right size), partly so people can't use their old miniatures (at least easily or in an aesthetically pleasing manner) and partly because I suspect they will want them to be much more of a "presentation piece".

#12 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:49 PM

This thread is a little old now, so most viewers know the FFG ships are indeed considerably bigger than the WotC minis (from photos) and made of either a polystyrene/ABS or resin (from descriptions).

But what all the Dreamers aren't taking into account is that the dang things are EXPENSIVE. I guess Wings of War individual fighters retail for $12.95 apiece. For ONE. Now tack on the dreaded Lucasfilm licensing fee; expect to pay a minimum of $14.95 for a single fighter piece. 

Diehards will go for the heavy hitters; Y-Wings, Aethersprites, Vader's TIE, Grievous' fighter and so on. But don't look for Vong coralskippers, KotOR Sith interceptors, My'til fighters etc. Mind you, no matter how much I'D like to see the Sith fighters or the Ebon Hawk! The line would have to do unexpectedly, no, insanely well to see that level of stuff. So, don't hold your breath. And buy lots of what they DO make if you even want to have a prayer.

#13 Crunchysam42

Crunchysam42

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:41 PM

So no Kyp in Suncrusher? *cough*

#14 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:39 PM

Rather interesting to look back on this thread and see how it shook out.

#15 lordflavius7

lordflavius7

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:02 PM

Ebon hawk! FFG you need this!

#16 lordflavius7

lordflavius7

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:03 PM

Maybe sone from the old republic too

#17 ThadiusCole

ThadiusCole

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:32 AM

I would like a neutral/bandit/pirate/mercenary faction consisting of things like the Z-95 Headhunter, R-41 Starchaser, R-22 Spearhead, Skipray Blastboat and Firespray 31.

Since we are getting Slave I that's already one of that list covered.  The others would be quite diverse visually and probably have some nice options for pilots from the EU.

#18 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 3,641 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:20 AM

I figure the first year of the product will be ships from the movies, predominantly the Original Trilogy, then slowly branching into the Prequels.

If the game has strong enough sales beyond the initial surge, then they'll probably start delving into the EU for additional ships, things like the Z-95 headhunter, Incom Howlrunner, E-wing, Droid Fighters, Eta-2 or Delta-7 Jedi fighters, and so on.

As for bigger ships like the Ebon Hawk or Mara Jade's starships, that's probably going to depend on how well the sales for the Falcon and Slave 1 go.  if those have dismal sales and/or wind up costing FFG money, then don't expect them to produce any other non-snubfighter ships.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#19 SteveSpikes

SteveSpikes

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:36 AM

I, too, would like to see the Z-95 Headhunter and the Skispray Blastboat.

The "Headhunter" should be relatively easy to figure out the stats for, since it is a direct predessor to the X-Wing Fighter.  As for the Skispray, I would like to recreate missions from the classic X-Wing and TIE Fighter PC game.

#20 Norsehound

Norsehound

• Members
  • 697 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:52 AM

SteveSpikes said:

I, too, would like to see the Z-95 Headhunter and the Skispray Blastboat.

The "Headhunter" should be relatively easy to figure out the stats for, since it is a direct predessor to the X-Wing Fighter.  As for the Skispray, I would like to recreate missions from the classic X-Wing and TIE Fighter PC game.

Surely this means you'll welcome the Assault Gunboat to come first then, before the Skipray blastboat, because the blastboat didn't appear until X-Wing alliance :P

The Gunboat on the other hand appeared in the middle of tour 2 in X-Wing's original release and stayed in the series until it ended.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS