Old Names New Forum

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Chimaera

Chimaera

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:02 AM

Well it's good to hear the Star Wars license has been picked up. It will be interesting to see who tips up here from the old WOTC forum.

While I am not too interested in space battles or card games. I am interested to see what else comes out down the road, especially if it's a ground based RPG or Skirmish battle format with minis. Interesting times ahead possibly?

#2 trappedslider

trappedslider

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:00 AM

Well,i'm here and i'm gonna check it out since i'm a gamer frist SW fan second when it comes to games.

#3 R5Don4

R5Don4

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:16 PM

Hi ya Chim,  I'm pumped for the ship game and can't wait to see what else they've got up there sleeve... aside from card games 

Great forum http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/index

Looking for a game in the Greater Toronto Area?  We can hook you up https://www.facebook...ups/6738327518/

#4 Cynabar

Cynabar

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:38 PM

Hello,

I see there are a few familiar handles popping on now. Interesting times

Cynabar

#5 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:38 PM

Cheers you lot! Imperator58 here, under a slightly modified handle. I sense fun times ahead!

#6 Green Leader

Green Leader

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:44 PM

Paul Klein here. I decided to NOT use my real name anymore...   probably a smart move.

#7 Bene

Bene

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:04 PM

I'm a big fan of the WotC minis.   I hope these spaceships are better than their version....  And I hope that the minis for figures will be worth looking at as well.  I've invested a lot in the WotC game, and to have something that would be compatible would be beautiful (though probably only a pipe dream), but something comparable in ease of play, cost, and interest would definitely be appreciated.  Bring them on.

#8 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:22 PM

Really!

I think the WotC ships were very well presented. Nice detail, great paintjobs. The two killers of the game were A) scale issues, which really ticked off a lot of "purists (that would be me)," and a really lame ruleset. It's like they tried to do too much with it.

X-Wing, though we don't know much about it yet, SEEMS to be focused on fighter combat. We could well see light freighter minis drop in a little bit later, but I'm guessing it won't involve capital ships. That's a good idea in my book, and will keep the minis line nice & tidy. The big question then will be the rules: Easy? Flexible? Comprehensive? Tall order, but by paring down the game's scale it's a lot easier than trying to mix X-Wings & Star Destroyers.

#9 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:10 PM

Hi everybody! My name remains the same.

I'm really intrigued by X-Wing, too. I like the mechanic of different 'plot elements' and complications popping up... a little more engaging than simply hacking away at hit points.

Looking forward to more news! 

(p.s: these are some butt-ugly smilies! )

#10 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:48 PM

These boards aren't too hard, but I haven't figured everything out:

1. Selected X-Wing as a favorite game, but the icon hasn't shown up

2. Accepted two friend requests, but don't know how to reply to their comments in their requests

3. Have looked at the game, but it seems like IJT has a lot more info than I'VE found, so where the hell is it? What's up with "complications?"

#11 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:58 PM

That's not actually a game term, it's just my own summary of some bit I read somewhere about cards that effect your fighters - shields knocked out, weapon's power drain, things like that.

I can't remember now where I found it, but it's on this site! :P

#12 jhaelen

jhaelen

• Members
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:17 PM

I'm not sure if it would make sense for FFG to release a game that is basically a rehash of WotCs skirmish game. But we'll see; maybe if X-Wing and the LCG prove to be major successes.

Right now, I'm quite willing to give X-Wing a try, since it seems like a Wings of War variant with a theme that appeals to me.

#13 pocoyo_joe

pocoyo_joe

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:25 AM

Well I wasn't a regular poster on the old WOTC Star Wars boards, I did post there from time to time, normally read the threads to keep up-to-date and new and upcoming RPG products.

More of a SW RPG guy (in fact if I'm honest I was more of a WEG SW RPG guy!), as yet there's not a section for the new SW RPG (assuming we're getting one ... we  are getting one right?)

Intrigued by the minis, X-Wings are a good place to start (the original trilogy is the key to my heart, however I'm not a prequel basher, I love me Star Wars in pretty much all forms)

If I post at seemingly weird times it's because I'm in the UK, home of Imperial Officers apparently!

Looking forward tremendously to seeing what Fantasy Flight Games do with the SW licence, and good for them for taking it on (and good for Lucasfilm for letting them!)

#14 Squid89

Squid89

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:48 AM

Same name here although it has been a while.

I am looking forward to trying out the X-wing game, haven't decided about the card game, but will wait for more info.  I wasn't looking forward to re-collecting a bunch of minis after the WotC version, but want to play and have something new to 'collect'.  I like the idea of fighters only and there are plenty of expansion options without a doubt.  I don't know much about FFG personally, but have heard/read nothing but good in regards to their games. 

Finally, something new to speculate about for a few more months.

#15 trappedslider

trappedslider

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:57 AM

I'm sure once Gencon is over,we'll get a number of folks from the other places,along with the normal questions about the game,along with forum stuff like avatars based on SW.

#16 Dog Solitude

Dog Solitude

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 01:10 PM

This is darthvaughn from the WotC forums.  I created that name without any real thought just so I could make an account to trade under there, never thinking I'd ever get into any discussions.  Soooo.....I chose a new new for these forums. 

#17 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 01:14 PM

DV!!! You know you'll be roped in. C'mon.

"Dog Solitude," eh?

#18 Dog Solitude

Dog Solitude

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 01:20 PM

IG-58 said:

"Dog Solitude," eh?

Yup. Less generic, and a name I use in other places.  

#19 Chimaera

Chimaera

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:38 AM

Well what do you know. All the best dressed people are starting to turn up for the party.

Lets hope FFG manage to pull this gig off and I may even buy a dreaded space battle game out of sheer Star Wars starvation. I do hope they get a minis gound based game off though in the future. Minis as good as the Dust Tactics ones please available in prepainted premium releases like DT would also be nice :)

I look forward to seeing more from the WOTC forum tip up and also making new friends with new Star Wars nutcases on here. It's a club you know! And once your in, your in for life! George Lucas will drain us for every penny/cent we have and we will gladly give it LOL.

P.S. if you change your name from your old WOTC handle you may want to put it in your signature until it sinks in. I can keep up with 3 or 4 but anymore and I will go demented.

Edit - Almost forgot!

1. Selected X-Wing as a favorite game, but the icon hasn't shown up

2. Accepted two friend requests, but don't know how to reply to their comments in their requests

3. Have looked at the game, but it seems like IJT has a lot more info than I'VE found, so where the hell is it? What's up with "complications?"

First two via your profile and the last just via digging about on the home page and in news etc most probably. Hopefully they will put all the Star Wars boards under one umbrella if they release more games. It will be a pain in the rear trying to flick through otherwise or maybe they could put quick links at the top of each board ummm that makes sense.

#20 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 10:27 AM

I wish I hadn't used the word 'complications', because it's going around, and it's not a game term! All I was referring to, from memory, was basically the 'damage' info from X-Wing's 'Description' page (I assume you've all seen that by now). That's the kind of detail I dig, for a game like this. 

(EDIT: as for lumping all the Star Wars boards together, I've found that, if the SW icons ever show up in your 'favourite games' thingy, you can click on them to go right to the product page. You'll still have to click 'message boards' when you get there, but it's a start. )

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS