Jump to content



Photo

LotR and now this?


  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 BioDio

BioDio

    Member

  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:00 AM

 AWESOME!!!!

And it's co-op and 1 player!!! O,O seriously, it's the first time I'm really excited and happy for card games ^_^

I really hate collecting card with booster packs and playing against a friend is getting sooooooo old.... I love co-op games, like Left 4 dead, it's way more fun to try and win the game together than just PVP... altough... I like some PVP games...

Anyway, I'm going to buy everything from LotR LCG and Star Wars LCG! seriously, THANK YOU VERY MUCH FF GAMES =D Someone really knows how to create card games! (Still find Magic really booooring... and only played for a year or so)...



#2 raiden14

raiden14

    Member

  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:14 AM

this whole starwars thing seems like a an early christmas to me

 

I´am a little bit curious as to why use exactly the same concept as in the LOtR lcg;
but on the other hand it´s too soon for that kinda talk, I liked a lot  nearly every LCG - besides call of cthulhu so I doubt that FF are going to dissapoint us - and its star wars!;
only downside is imo that there aren´t going to be any twilight imperium style starwars board game, or some epic jedi vs sith board game etc...yet



#3 spirit

spirit

    Member

  • Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:37 AM

It's WAY to early to accuse this of being the same as LOTR and to be honest it already looks like it will play significantly differently to LOTR in terms of gameplay mechanics.

With LOTR you HAVE to pass each stage of the quest.

It looks like with this one you don't have to pass each mission but doing so will make overall completion easier. 



#4 Mattr0polis

Mattr0polis

    Member

  • Members
  • 821 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:53 AM

spirit said:

With LOTR you HAVE to pass each stage of the quest.

It looks like with this one you don't have to pass each mission but doing so will make overall completion easier. 

Exactly. Also it sounds like you have to commit your characters and ships to different areas: working on the mission, fighting on the ground, the space battle, repairing, etc. which is both different from LotR and intriguing.



#5 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:54 AM

I wonder if the game will also have a galactic scope, or if that's the angle they'll play up when they come out with Star Wars: The Board Game.



#6 raiden14

raiden14

    Member

  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:56 AM

you can nitpick those various differences, but you have to agree that the overal concept and feel is quite similiar.

but as I already said, its far too soon to say anything like that, we will see and I´am really looking for forward to it (being the starwars fan since 3 years old)



#7 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:49 PM

raiden14 said:

 

you can nitpick those various differences, but you have to agree that the overal concept and feel is quite similiar.

 

 

Well you could also argue that the idea of a cooperative card game is so new and different for the CCG/LCG industry that it's difficult to see anything but LotR in it at this point. When it comes to the cards themselves, I think they did a good job of distinguishing the two templates from one another. One is a shabby metallic design meant to represent the decrepit state of the Galaxy at the height of the Empire, and the other is much more fantastical, using gilded trim for the Fellowship and the black vines of corruption for Mordor. Besides, one game is about the timeless struggle between good and evil, and the other is...wait... :o



#8 Adam

Adam

    Member

  • Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:46 PM

MarthWMaster said:

I wonder if the game will also have a galactic scope, or if that's the angle they'll play up when they come out with Star Wars: The Board Game.

The news post says they have the rights to RPGs, card games, and minis.  Sadly, it does not mention board games.  I'd really like to see a coffin box Star Wars game to rival TI in scope, but it seems like a pointed omission.



#9 Hellfury

Hellfury

    Member

  • Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:56 PM

Adam said:

MarthWMaster said:

 

I wonder if the game will also have a galactic scope, or if that's the angle they'll play up when they come out with Star Wars: The Board Game.

 

 

The news post says they have the rights to RPGs, card games, and minis.  Sadly, it does not mention board games.  I'd really like to see a coffin box Star Wars game to rival TI in scope, but it seems like a pointed omission.

And that is rather sad. Since it is what FFG are truly best at.



#10 Adam

Adam

    Member

  • Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:00 PM

 Agreed.  I like all the LCGs, but given the opportunity, I'll pick Cosmic Encounter over any of them any time, and by the end of the year I'm sure I'll say the same for Game of Thrones.



#11 BioDio

BioDio

    Member

  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:09 PM

raiden14 said:

you can nitpick those various differences, but you have to agree that the overal concept and feel is quite similiar.

but as I already said, its far too soon to say anything like that, we will see and I´am really looking for forward to it (being the starwars fan since 3 years old)

(Yeah... too soon to say something but wtv)

Co-Op card games are somewhat of an early and new concept, so, like PVP games, they can evolve into many things, I really don't think SW will play just like LotR (from what I've read anyway) SW looks like it has more action, and LotR seems more passive (thats not a bad or good thing).

You can say that most of CCG look alike, because all of them you play against a player, with some resource pool and calculate attack and defense, and use some equips/traps/spells... whatever... but we all know that each game is different because of the changes in gameplay!

It's the same thing with LotR and SW LCG, they look alike, but I don't think they are the same, and will never be the same, it's FF we are talking about, they don't copy their own games... it doesn't make sense!

Release date is early 2012 >,< omg... I need adventure packs for LotR and this!!! Hurry up!!!



#12 Hellfury

Hellfury

    Member

  • Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:25 PM

BioDio said:

it's FF we are talking about, they don't copy their own games... it doesn't make sense!

 

Nope, never.

I guess that must be why Doom and Descent are soooo different, or why I get cards with the rules text "Kneeling" that belongs to AGoT LCG in my Call of Cthulhu LCG cards.

They wouldnt dream of copying their own games, or make the mistake of a direct Copy/Paste job on their games.



#13 jhaelen

jhaelen

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:00 PM

Hellfury said:

BioDio said:

it's FF we are talking about, they don't copy their own games... it doesn't make sense!

 

Nope, never.

I guess that must be why Doom and Descent are soooo different, or why I get cards with the rules text "Kneeling" that belongs to AGoT LCG in my Call of Cthulhu LCG cards.

They wouldnt dream of copying their own games, or make the mistake of a direct Copy/Paste job on their games.

Teehee!

Well, at least it means they have a chance to improve on the basis laid out by the LotR game. And anyone who's played more than a couple of games of LotR will agree, that there's quite a bit of room for improving on the general concept.



#14 Hellfury

Hellfury

    Member

  • Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:21 PM

jhaelen said:

Hellfury said:

 

BioDio said:

it's FF we are talking about, they don't copy their own games... it doesn't make sense!

 

Nope, never.

I guess that must be why Doom and Descent are soooo different, or why I get cards with the rules text "Kneeling" that belongs to AGoT LCG in my Call of Cthulhu LCG cards.

They wouldnt dream of copying their own games, or make the mistake of a direct Copy/Paste job on their games.

 

Teehee!

 

Well, at least it means they have a chance to improve on the basis laid out by the LotR game. And anyone who's played more than a couple of games of LotR will agree, that there's quite a bit of room for improving on the general concept.

I hope your right about improvement. But I think it is generous to say that LotR has room for improvement. I would classify it more as a game that was unfinished and yet still sold to the public.



#15 spirit

spirit

    Member

  • Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:54 AM

I simply think LOTR needs more cards to fill it out a bit. Hells the first AP has only just come out. 



#16 Kiwina

Kiwina

    Member

  • Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:44 AM

 There seems to be similarities with several of the other LCG's.  The co-op and missions were pioneered by LotR, but I'm hoping the execution will be different.  Not because I think LotR is poorly executed (I really enjoy the game), but just to be different.  The different zones makes think about the gameplay of the Warhammer LCG, and the Strategy cards for the Empire seems reminiscent of plot cards from A Game of Thrones LCG.  Granted I've never played W:I LCG or AGoT LCG, so all I really know about them is what I saw on the tutorial videos.  This game looks like it has a lot of potential, and I hope it turns out be a great LCG.



#17 Snibe

Snibe

    Member

  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 01:55 PM

I'm definitely super excited at the fact that this game is coming out.  I love the LoTR LCG and the co-op/solo play, but now the Star Wars universe too!  I can't wait.  I think the fact that there are not only cahracters and items, but ships too will make the dynamic of the game much different.



#18 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 02:38 PM

Snibe said:

 

I'm definitely super excited at the fact that this game is coming out.  I love the LoTR LCG and the co-op/solo play, but now the Star Wars universe too!  I can't wait.  I think the fact that there are not only cahracters and items, but ships too will make the dynamic of the game much different.

 

 

Indeed. And the Death Star. We mustn't discount that. Sauron never had the destructive capacity to explode Middle-earth, much as he may have wanted to. Oh, maybe it will be possible to save Alderaan from its awful fate, if we play our cards right!



#19 Adam

Adam

    Member

  • Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 01:52 AM

 javascript:void(0);/*1312548499194*/  

Above is a link to a review of the Gencon demo, if FFG's bizarre forum system copied my link right.  

There are definitely some LotR-esque rules, but the way you do everything is very different (drawing cards, gaining resources, attacking, defending, etc.).  Making progress seems to work the same way but happens toward the end of the round instead of right before everything goes down, thankfully.

 

 

 

 

 

 



#20 spirit

spirit

    Member

  • Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:21 AM

Apart from one or two things which I think a pretty unavoidable in this sort of game such as the encounter deck and the bad guys will engage you this sounds nothing like LOTR  And it looks like it's going to be a lot of fun. Very much looking forward to this game and I'm loving the artwork.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS