• Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

#1 Katagena

Katagena

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:28 AM

If like me, you prefer dual LCG, sign in

Star Wars? Good! Illustration? Good! First triology? So good!

Why coop'? I want to play dark side

#2 Phantom287

Phantom287

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:32 AM

Katagena said:

If like me, you prefer dual LCG, sign in

Star Wars? Good! Illustration? Good! First triology? So good!

Why coop'? I want to play dark side

I admit, that is disappointing. If they wanted to copy one of their own LCG formats, why not the more competitive ones like AGoT, CoC and W:I.

Who knows, maybe FFG has something up their sleeve. Regardless, I'm a bit disappointed that I won't be able to build a mono imperial deck.

#3 Gaius Marius

Gaius Marius

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:53 AM

I am just excited about there being a Star Wars LCG!  Hopefully they allow for Imperial decks!

#4 mason240

mason240

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:15 AM

As much as I hate to start complaining 2 minutes after learning about the game, I agree that a player vs player format would have better.

Although, it looks like the format is going to be similar to the Lord of the Rings LCG, and I think it might be better suited for Star Wars. Think of the variety of decks you could build - fighter decks to go against TIE fighter encounter decks, rebel trooper decks against Endor scenarios, smuggler decks for smuggler scenarios (making spice runs while dodging bounty hunters and Imperial customs agents). 

I think this has much more potential then we are seeing. 

#5 Narsil0420

Narsil0420

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:20 AM

I'm just kind of upset that it's copying LOTR because I don't want anything to steal LOTR's thunder! Well, Star Wars was my adolescence, Lord of the Rings is for adults. I guess I have to trust that there's room for both.

#6 Shub-Niggurath

Shub-Niggurath

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:24 AM

If you want a good player vs player Star Wars card game then try Decipher's SWCCG (full sets are still easily available on ebay).

This is something new for Star Wars. 

#7 Mattr0polis

Mattr0polis

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:28 AM

This is great! I am not disappointed at all.

I have played every single Star Wars card game that's ever been released. Every one has been versus format, so this will finally be something new and exciting.

If you want to play a great Star Wars versus game go play Star Wars CCG from Decipher. It's out of print but there is a Player's Committee that makes new cards online that you print off for free and that are recognized in officially sanctioned play. The Decipher game was one of the greatest card games ever and I doubt it could be outdone anyways as far as Star Wars versus games.

Also, If you haven't tried out the Lord of the Rings co-op LCG, it's a blast. There's something great about building decks with your friends and then using your combos together to all win for once instead of crushing each other like EVERY SINGLE other card game.

I'm glad they're trying something new and CAN NOT WAIT to have this in my hands!

#8 Doc9

Doc9

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:38 AM

I hate the idea of this being co-op. It is supposed to be the Rebels VS. The Empire. Players should be able to take control of which side they want to play. this sucks.

#9 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:08 AM

Doc9 said:

I hate the idea of this being co-op. It is supposed to be the Rebels VS. The Empire. Players should be able to take control of which side they want to play. this sucks.

unless i missed something in the announcement, this game still IS rebels vs empire. you are building the rebel alliance with your buds to crush the empire.

i can certainly understand some of the frustration; i myself love playing the dark side in video games and prefer using a star destroyer to crush puny rebel ships instead of the other way around.

however, i also agree with some of the other commenters: if you want a head-to-head SW game, there are plenty of others out there. i think this could (can't judge positively or negatively yet) be a nice change of pace from almost every other game out there (SW or not).

and besides, if everyone wants to play the dark side, you'd have no one to play with! ;-)

#10 wminsing

wminsing

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:49 AM

I actually think the co-op angle is pretty brilliant, and truer to the movies then a versus game.  In the movies it is pretty clear the Rebels are totally outmatched in people and hardware- there is no way an Imperial vs. Rebel game should be 'balanced', the Imperial player should have a major advantage.  Other games have had to really contort the setting to achieve balanced setups.

All that said, I suspect that FFG will have some tricks up their sleeves, since playing Imperial IS a popular choice (I enjoy it too)- either a counterpart game (ie, Imperial Cooperative trying to beat down the Rebellion) with options to play the games against each other, or a new entirely different Imperial-focused game.  I suspect we're just seeing the start of the product line.

-Will

#11 spirit

spirit

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:52 AM

Every Star Wars card game so far has been Versus. I think it's time for something new and for me co-op and single play sounds great. I really enjoy the LOTR LCG and think this already sounds different enough to not just be a re-hash of the same.

Really REALLY looking forward to this. 

#12 pathunstrom

pathunstrom

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:10 AM

I'll admit, I'm a cooperative nut. I quite enjoyed The Lord of the Rings game, and the announcement had enough hints that I'm very curious about where they go with Star Wars.

#13 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:31 AM

I like the cooperative angle. As others have mentioned, nearly all previous collectible Star Wars games have pitted a Rebel / Light Side player against an Imperial / Dark Side player which, while dramatic in the good versus evil sense, doesn't foster the sense of camaraderie that the movies do. They are modeled after mid-20th century "buddy movies" where the good guys are as much friends as they are compatriots. Now, for the first time, a Star Wars card game invites me and my friends to experience that same feeling, as we put our strengh and wits together, trusting in the Force and the truth that Han sot first, to triumph over the impossible might of the Galactic Empire.

Besides, and this may be just me (in fact I'm almost sure it is), but whenever I played Dark Side in the previous games and won, it felt like a hollow victory. Something inside me always wants to cheer for the good guy, and of course it always sucks to lose, so that the only time I could get true satisfaction out of the game was when I played the Light Side and won. But that always meant that my friend had to lose. As such, I find this a welcome change of pace.

As much as I favor the Original Trilogy (in all frankness, who doesn't?), I'm curious as to whether FFG intends to eventually present Prequel Trilogy expansions. I'll be happy either way, but it would be cool to have a day-long marathon where you play through the entire saga without having to hear Word One from Jar Jar Binks.

"To play a wrong note is insignificant. To play without passion is inexcusable."
– Beethoven

#14 SeerMagic

SeerMagic

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:58 AM

I'm happy that this is co op. There as been plenty of pvp star war games. I just hope it's way different than lotr, which I liked but didn't like at the same time. I do love they are using art instead of movie stills!

#15 Tobogan

Tobogan

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:29 AM

No Imperial? Co-op? Too bad.... :(

#16 JerusalemJones

JerusalemJones

• Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:29 AM

I'm going to throw my support with the group that likes the fact that this is a co-op game. All the other great reason that other have put aside, when it comes to card game I can't get my wife to play any ccg/lcg, and she hates the LotR setting, but I bet I cang et her to play this one, which means I finally have a card game the two of us will play together (and my wife is a die-hard board gamer).

Still, I wouldn't mind if there was a seaprate versus version of the game, or if they eventually created a "dark side/Empire" base set that could be played against a Rebel deck.

#17 Marlow

Marlow

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:12 AM

I'll throw in my hat for co-op as well.

1) I like that there will be another co-op game.

2) I think CoC and GoT work so well as PvP style games because of all the different factions, where LoTR and SW really are kinda just two-sided.

I'm pretty excited about the announcement in general. Five LCGs, maybe I can get a bailout from the Feds? I'll tell them I'm too big to fail or something.

#18 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:22 AM

Tobogan said:

No Imperial? Co-op? Too bad.... :(

Yes Imperial!

But instead of subjugating worlds and promoting tyranny, you're fighting the Empire in the name of restoring freedom! And really, isn't that better for the Galaxy in the end?

"To play a wrong note is insignificant. To play without passion is inexcusable."
– Beethoven

#19 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,000 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:25 AM

I am seriously disappointed about this. LotR was a major let down and now this. I love Star Wars but this game looks very similar to LotR and that game got old very fast. I bought the core set and will probably not buy anything else for it ever. This one even copies the four spheres concept that LotR uses. Hopefully FFG will surprise me but co-op game with set amount of missions gets stagnant very quickly and therefore boring and not worth buying anymore. Too bad as I love Star WArs and my nephew is huge star wars fanatic so would have been cool to play cards with him.

#20 jgt7771

jgt7771

Saving the world from cosmic evil since 2006

• Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:33 AM

Absolutely perfect.  I'm digging the Lord of the Rings, but the source material seems to be off-putting to my...how shall I say...friends who just aren't interested in high fantasy.  It might have been easier to get them into Death Angel, but to the unwashed ignorant, it apparently comes off as a "cheesy Aliens clone".  (I know!  But if I tried explaining why it isn't, I'd have to convince them to swallow centuries of Warhammer 40k Lore.  Yeesh.)  But Star Wars?  I can get them to play Star Wars!

And once again, even if I can't or they've all moved on, I don't end up with a closet full of useless pretty picture cards.  (Ooo, like those boxes of Decipher CCG that got sacrificed to eBay for pennies on the dollar when the company got shafted by Hasbro.)  I rather like games that don't end up like broken toys when no one else wants to play them.

What was that noise?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS