Jump to content



Photo

seven scions. Help, please.


  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gran_orco

gran_orco

    Member

  • Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:24 PM

First of all, sorry for my english

I have many questions regarding Seven Scions expansion (I do not understand next to nothing). Please, help me with offcial answers:

  1. If the undefeated track is being used by scions, aren't there undefeated monsters? I mean, if I escape from a challenge I can not use the undefeated track token because it is been used by scions.
  2. Are events played as normal in addition to choosing a scion counter, or must we ignore the event text?
  3. Can I have an awaken scion and another scion counter?
  4. Can I try to awake a scion without its scion counter, or must I have its counter to awake him?
  5. There are no "sunburst red adventure icons in the board", so no red jewel adventures can be refreshed. So, why this sentence?: "It may be impossible to awaken more until the adventure jewels are replenished, as only a red adventure jewel with a red adventure counter on it may be used to awaken a Scion."

 

STORM PHASE:

It seems to me that storm events are very easy, so I am pretty sure that we are doing anything wrong...

  1. Could you give me an example of how must we fight with a storm challenge, both competitive and cooperative version? If I can attack in each phase of the round, and my companions can attack, too, the storm challenge do not reach melee phase because he dies before! (We take ONE card, and then we fight at the sime time with the same card. It is confusing).
  2. If a hero attacks, but he fails his roll, can he claim the reward?
  3. Do we obtain an experience counter for winning a storm challenge? (I think no)

ENDGAME:

  1. "Each player can activate X items". Does it mean that we can use X items (weapons, artifacts, runes...), or that we can use X "activate to use" items.
  2. Could you give a short example of a cooperative endgame. It was very easy to us to win the stormlords (we choose the lowest value and the lowest damage value; one attack per round and two defenses...)
  3. Can we attack with our heroes (lowest value) in one phase and with our scions in another phase? Or can scions only attack when they are replacing our combat values?. If not, can another normal allies attack? (We did not have any allies, but it was too easy for us. Dragons in the base game are much, much stronger)

 

Thank you very much.

 



#2 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:48 PM

I've played this expansion in my last Runebound game. We also raised some of these questions.

gran_orco said:

 

 

  1. If the undefeated track is being used by scions, aren't there undefeated monsters? I mean, if I escape from a challenge I can not use the undefeated track token because it is been used by scions.
  2. Are events played as normal in addition to choosing a scion counter, or must we ignore the event text?
  3. Can I have an awaken scion and another scion counter?
  4. Can I try to awake a scion without its scion counter, or must I have its counter to awake him?
  5. There are no "sunburst red adventure icons in the board", so no red jewel adventures can be refreshed. So, why this sentence?: "It may be impossible to awaken more until the adventure jewels are replenished, as only a red adventure jewel with a red adventure counter on it may be used to awaken a Scion."

1. There is no undefeated encounter track in this expansion and if you escape a Challenge the card should be discarded. I'm convinced of it because other expansions that don't use the undefeated encounter track instruct to do so. Seven Scions rulesheet forgets to mention it.

2. Rulesheet says: Once all of the players have taken a scion counter, the Event card is discarded, and the active player draws a new adventure card. It fails to mention "discarded without effect", but I assume it is intended that way. This is not valid for Events drawn during the Storm Step.

3. I think you can. Rules don't explicitly say otherwise.

4. No, you needn't have his/her scion counter. You only have to be on a red jewel during the Adventure Step and fulfill the conditions on the chosen Scion card.

5. You're right. I think they wrote something wrong. Perhaps they got used to big box expansions where you replenish all adventure counters instead of sunburst jewels only.

gran_orco said:

STORM PHASE:

 

It seems to me that storm events are very easy, so I am pretty sure that we are doing anything wrong...

  1. Could you give me an example of how must we fight with a storm challenge, both competitive and cooperative version? If I can attack in each phase of the round, and my companions can attack, too, the storm challenge do not reach melee phase because he dies before! (We take ONE card, and then we fight at the sime time with the same card. It is confusing).
  2. If a hero attacks, but he fails his roll, can he claim the reward?
  3. Do we obtain an experience counter for winning a storm challenge? (I think no)

1. Consider that cooperative and competitive versions are applied only to the Endgame Phase and Hero vs. Hero combat. You didn't anything wrong with the Storm Challenge as far as you explained. Storm Challenges are usually drawn after a Hero faced a previous challenge (the Storm Step is resolved just before Market and Experience Steps) and sometimes it would be harsh if that Hero had to defeat alone Two Challenges. Nevertheless, the Storm Challenges are ridiculously easy if they're faced by all Heroes together; a nice tweak could be to multiply the Wounds of the Challenge per no. of players. This compensates also for the opportunity to attack in ALL phases with each Hero.

2. Do you mean "can a Hero claim the reward even if he attacked but did no damage to the Storm Challenge"? I would say yes. Rules say: Only Heroes who have made an attack roll or inflicted damage in the round of combat during which the Storm Challenge is defeated may claim the reward. This is reward triggering condition: you have to make an attack roll or inflict damage to the Storm Challenge in the round it is defeated to claim reward. You can do damage even without an attack roll (i.e. with a Before combat ability) and rules says that BC is considered during 1st round for reward purposes. It looks like they were aware that the Challenge could be defeated very easily and some Heroes don't have the time to make an attack roll (= no reward).

3. No, Experience counter is related to jewels on map board.

gran_orco said:

ENDGAME:

 

  1. "Each player can activate X items". Does it mean that we can use X items (weapons, artifacts, runes...), or that we can use X "activate to use" items.
  2. Could you give a short example of a cooperative endgame. It was very easy to us to win the stormlords (we choose the lowest value and the lowest damage value; one attack per round and two defenses...)
  3. Can we attack with our heroes (lowest value) in one phase and with our scions in another phase? Or can scions only attack when they are replacing our combat values?. If not, can another normal allies attack? (We did not have any allies, but it was too easy for us. Dragons in the base game are much, much stronger)

 

 

1. "Activate" implicitly refers to "Activate to use" item; others items are never activated. I think this is intended for items that can replenish Wounds and Fatigue.

2. I didn't play the cooperative version but I think the competitive Version is quite good. We were 3 players and each one had to face the 3 Stormlords in random order, with no refresh Phase. Two of us succeeded, but one was VERY lucky (scored a 15 on a roll that would have meant death for his Runemaster Baras and probably for his Character too).

3. In cooperative version it seems that you cannot use the Scions (or other Allies) to attack in the Hero's place. Also when a Scion is replacing the combat values, he's not really attacking. The Hero takes the damage in case of a failed roll.

This said, I agree with you that Cooperative Version and Storm Challenges are very obscure. This expansion could be nice but shows some evident problems. Not the best Adventure Variant around.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS