• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 badash56

badash56

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 08:09 AM

Hi guys,
I am a brand new player, and I wanted to get some opinions on my first real deck I've made. I basically play with just one other person and we build a bunch of decks separately and play when we can.
I don't have every possible card available, and only two copies of the core set at the moment. I did my best to make the best possible deck with what I had available.

The basic idea is pretty simple. Use the Agency cards to beat down characters via combat, and the Hastur cards to drive whats left insane. Seemed like a simple enough deck to start out with.

Let me know what you think:

Agency:
Hired Muscle x2
Confident Rookie x3
Agency Medic x2
Monster Hunter x2
Government Exorcist x3
Museum Security x3
Paul Lemond x2
Lightning Gun x2
Shotgun Blast x2
Small Price to Pay x2
Springfield M1903 x2
Flanking Maneuver x2

Hastur:
Swooping Byakhee x3
Victoria Glasser x2
Victoria’s Protege x3
That Thing Behind You x3
Nightstalker x3
Agoraphobia x2
Scotophobia x2
Power Drain x2

Neutral:
Prized Pistol x3

#2 Phantom287

Phantom287

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 08:48 AM

badash56 said:

Hi guys,
I am a brand new player, and I wanted to get some opinions on my first real deck I've made. I basically play with just one other person and we build a bunch of decks separately and play when we can.
I don't have every possible card available, and only two copies of the core set at the moment. I did my best to make the best possible deck with what I had available.

The basic idea is pretty simple. Use the Agency cards to beat down characters via combat, and the Hastur cards to drive whats left insane. Seemed like a simple enough deck to start out with.

Let me know what you think:

Agency:
Hired Muscle x2
Confident Rookie x3
Agency Medic x2
Monster Hunter x2
Government Exorcist x3
Museum Security x3
Paul Lemond x2
Lightning Gun x2
Shotgun Blast x2
Small Price to Pay x2
Springfield M1903 x2
Flanking Maneuver x2

Hastur:
Swooping Byakhee x3
Victoria Glasser x2
Victoria’s Protege x3
That Thing Behind You x3
Nightstalker x3
Agoraphobia x2
Scotophobia x2
Power Drain x2

Neutral:
Prized Pistol x3

Hmm, I'm not all familiar with Hastur's faction; I need to play him more often.

On Agency, might I suggest two copies of the Peeler Instead. My reasoning is that since you intend to win combat most if not all the time, than the medic's ability is largely useless unless you're dealing with another agency deck that uses a ton of wounding events whereas the Peeler costs only two resources, has two combat and gains willpower if there is at least one attachment card in play (doesn't need to be attached to him). You'll gain a character with more combat icons and with your attachment cards, he'll benefit from willpower as well.

Another suggestion is one of preference to me, in place of those two Lightning Guns, I think two Shotguns would be more appropriate. This is because, while the lightning gun adds two additional combat phases to the story the attached character is committed to, the opposing player still gets to choose who gets wounded, whereas with the shotgun, if you have the resources to spare, you could simply pay one and chose to wound a character of your choice that was commited to that story, and if all three domains have not been used, you could drain all three to wound up to three characters at the story. THis can swing the tide of a story conflict before the resolving phase even starts. This makes for a decent defense on your turn. I would suggest trying it out and seeing which one is more beneficial.

#3 deadeb

deadeb

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:41 AM

Maybe you can put into this deck:

Undercover Security and Unorthodox Psychologist instead of Hired Muscle and Museum security, Beneath The Burning Sun for more skull, Shotgun blast X3 .

#4 Phantom287

Phantom287

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 10:01 AM

deadeb said:

Maybe you can put into this deck:

Undercover Security and Unorthodox Psychologist instead of Hired Muscle and Museum security, Beneath The Burning Sun for more skull, Shotgun blast X3 .

Good ideas, but he only has two core sets, so unless he gets another he can't add more shotgun blasts.

Unorthodox Psychologists would be a better choice than Museum Security, I agree (forgot about him), but. since he's using Veronica Glasser, a villainous character, the undercover security, being heroic, would probebly present more hinderance than help. Given the choice though, I'd take undercover security over Veronica Glasser, since they seem more useful than her, but if he's going for Insanity, than he can go with either/or.

Beneath the burning sun is good to raise combat, and useful if you like using the day/night mechanic. Personally, I don't, but I'll need to experiment a bit more with day/night mechanics.

#5 deadeb

deadeb

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:48 AM

Okay i forgott that Mrs Victoria is villainous character, i don't play much with Hastur.   Beneath the Burning Sun has one purpose in this deck, the combat boost, for the Prize pistol.

badash56: Maybe you can put 2 John Henry Prize into the deck too.

#6 badash56

badash56

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:34 AM

Hi guys!  Thanks for the suggestions.  I think I will find room for Beneath the Burning Sun, I forgot I had that one. :)

I don't think I have the other suggested cards though (Unorthodox Psychologists, and John Henry Prize).  Do you know off hand what packs they are from?

Thanks again!

#7 Phantom287

Phantom287

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:17 PM

badash56 said:

Hi guys!  Thanks for the suggestions.  I think I will find room for Beneath the Burning Sun, I forgot I had that one. :)

I don't think I have the other suggested cards though (Unorthodox Psychologists, and John Henry Prize).  Do you know off hand what packs they are from?

Thanks again!

Unorthodox Psychologist is from the Thing from the Shore AP in the Spawn of the Sleeper Cycle

John Henry Price is from The Search for the Silver Key AP in the Dreamlands Cycle.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS