has anyone hear anything from anybody?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 TheKingOfBlades

TheKingOfBlades

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 07:45 AM

It's been nearly six months since the last release and I'm hoping to hear some news soon but has anyone heard anything about future plans for this game?

#2 srcabeza

srcabeza

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:26 AM

Not a lot of news, really, but:

www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/677155/in-flight-report-wild-speculation

look at #5. Maybe we should just wait for GenCon.

#3 TheKingOfBlades

TheKingOfBlades

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 10:22 AM

Yeah I'm really hoping something good will be said about battlelore at gencon. Hopefully someone will ask a few battlelore questions at an ffg seminar and then let the rest of the fans know about it here on the forums. Or I'm hoping ffg posts videos of their seminars online. The anticipation is too much to handle sometimes. But if ffg doesn't mention battlelore's future I don't know what I'll do because I'm not starting over with a whole new board game battle system now.

I know I can play with all the current battlelore releases for a long time to come but it's just not the same thing as having a game that continues to grow. A game does have to end sometime but I don't think battlelore is any where close to the end.

#4 Caboose

Caboose

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:30 AM

Been saying that..keep asking them about Battlelore.  Namely in public.   Make FFG commit to something.   They've had the game for quite some time now.   And what will happen with the base core game set.   Without that, there really isn't much that will happen...since w/o new gamers/blood, expansions sales will go down as more and more people lose interest. 

On a somewhat "related" note, Thaadd is no longer in customer service.  Was one of the more better customer reps (and pro Battlelore too).   :(

Cab

Wishful thinking - hopefully BoW will die a tragic death...never really was that great.

#5 TheKingOfBlades

TheKingOfBlades

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:12 AM

There should be a couple of die hard battlelore fans in those seminars at gen con. Hopefully they will ask the questions that all battlelore fans want to know about.

I agree with you about westeros. The game attempted to fix battlelore's "problems" and ended up creating many more of their own problems unique to battles of westeros.

#6 Caboose

Caboose

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:25 PM

TheKingOfBlades said:

There should be a couple of die hard battlelore fans in those seminars at gen con. Hopefully they will ask the questions that all battlelore fans want to know about.

I agree with you about westeros. The game attempted to fix battlelore's "problems" and ended up creating many more of their own problems unique to battles of westeros.

Well there weren't too many BL problems..problem was they had people that knew NEXT to NOTHING about BL doing it!   Nor I bet did they consult with Mr. Borg about anything either (pretty sad when they put him out as the FAQ answer person for a while and now nothing!  Even worse was telling him after he released his rumors of upcoming items to be quiet!  Never a good thing to tell the author/inventor of the game to do that!).

If I could make it to Origins, I would be there asking the hard questions.  None of those SOFTBALL type questions.  But I bet, with the lack of news + support + no games at Origins for BL, the news probably won't be good.  

Cab

And of course there is another news item for BoW..had to put my usual post about lack of support for BL in the comments.   I'm bound to irritate someone I hope with some authority to do something.    Pretty sad Thaadd is leaving and now I know for sure, there will be no BL demos ever...:(

#7 TheKingOfBlades

TheKingOfBlades

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:23 PM

@caboose

Oh I wasn't trying to say that I thought battlelore had a lot of problems. I put problems in quotes so as to say that this is what ffg thinks.

For me battlelore has only one problem and that is some of the unit/weapon cards can be a little unclear. But besides that it's one of the best games I've ever played.

#8 IraShaine1972

IraShaine1972

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 04:56 AM

Really there are numerous games that get less and less support.  It seems FFG focuses more on pushing new releases and as the catalog grows more and more games get neglected.  I think they have actually done far more support for BL than most games.

Here is a list:

Descent (one item in about 2 years)

Tide of Iron (one item in a year)

War of the Ring (not even a core set reprint in 2 years)

Twilight Impirium (finally got an expansion in 3 years)

Those are just the ones I like the most.  Could probably pick apart the entire catalog for what does and does not get regular support.

Current heavily supported lines are the RPGs and LCGs that most likely sell well and require the least amount of funds to produce.  Anything based on HPL seems to do well.  Seems more and more anything that is more along the lines of big box with alot of parts and whatnot is being less pushed.  I am sure there will continue to be BL releases but probably more along the lines of one or two a year at this point and that will be alot more than a great number of FFG games are getting.

#9 TheKingOfBlades

TheKingOfBlades

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:30 AM

IraShaine1972 said:

Really there are numerous games that get less and less support.  It seems FFG focuses more on pushing new releases and as the catalog grows more and more games get neglected.  I think they have actually done far more support for BL than most games.

Here is a list:

Those are just the ones I like the most.  Could probably pick apart the entire catalog for what does and does not get regular support.

Current heavily supported lines are the RPGs and LCGs that most likely sell well and require the least amount of funds to produce.  Anything based on HPL seems to do well.  Seems more and more anything that is more along the lines of big box with alot of parts and whatnot is being less pushed.  I am sure there will continue to be BL releases but probably more along the lines of one or two a year at this point and that will be alot more than a great number of FFG games are getting.

True but Battlelore is a board game system and those require a greater number of expansions. Dust tactics is in that same category (it's a board game system) and if that game only got 1 expansion a year it would die.

Descent already has a ton of content and expansions and I'm not sure how much more they could add to it and still keep it fun.

Tide of Iron they could do a lot with and haven't so I'm not gonna argue there.

War of the Ring isn't a FFG game so they have no control over its expansions but I'm not sure about reprints

Twilight Imperium is an epic game of battle, trade, and diplomacy. The base game with the first expansion already provided a ton of game. Wargames like this tend not to get too many expansions so I was surprised when it got it's second expansion. Plus this is not a game that you can regularly pull out for a weekend game because it takes to long and it's best with a larger group so it doesn't see as much play as a game like battlelore.

And It would be fine by me if battlelore only got 2 or 3 expansions a year. But as of right now battlelore has only received one this year and that was way back in February and it's now the end of July and there hasn't even been an announcement yet or any word about the game's future for that matter.

#10 IraShaine1972

IraShaine1972

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:09 AM

TheKingOfBlades said:

IraShaine1972 said:

Here is a list:

True but Battlelore is a board game system and those require a greater number of expansions. Dust tactics is in that same category (it's a board game system) and if that game only got 1 expansion a year it would die.

Descent already has a ton of content and expansions and I'm not sure how much more they could add to it and still keep it fun.

Tide of Iron they could do a lot with and haven't so I'm not gonna argue there.

War of the Ring isn't a FFG game so they have no control over its expansions but I'm not sure about reprints

Twilight Imperium is an epic game of battle, trade, and diplomacy. The base game with the first expansion already provided a ton of game. Wargames like this tend not to get too many expansions so I was surprised when it got it's second expansion. Plus this is not a game that you can regularly pull out for a weekend game because it takes to long and it's best with a larger group so it doesn't see as much play as a game like battlelore.

And It would be fine by me if battlelore only got 2 or 3 expansions a year. But as of right now battlelore has only received one this year and that was way back in February and it's now the end of July and there hasn't even been an announcement yet or any word about the game's future for that matter.

I dont really understand the "its going to die" or its being killed off mentality.  Dust tactics is just coming up on its first year anniversary.  BL had alot of content added its first couple of years and as it stands now has alot of content.  I would be surprised if DT keeps up this pace and if it does it will only be because it is selling well.  You cant really blame FFG if BL has a smaller following and thus lower sales.  However I do think that FFG is creating a bloated catalog and we will see less and less content added to games as they get older.

Dont get me wrong I love the entire Command and Colors system and own or have at least played everything that has been put out using that system.  I dont complain at all when something new comes out for one and not the other and I even include Battles of Westeros although there are alterations to the system it retains enough of the core elements of the CaC engine to pretty much fit the bill.  As I see it now it is a good enough game system to be the base for games being put out by 3 different companies. 

I think any of these systems can be expanded to infinity.  I am sure that it is a sales thing.  FFG will be willing to put more money into games that have larger followings and continue to produce more new games in order to generate those splash type sales. 

I guess my point is I dont think BL is dead or doomed for that matter.  It just doesnt generate enough sales to warrant frequent expansions at this point and one thing we know for sure is that it is expensive to produce.  If you want to compare it to Westeros there probably wont be another expansion for it this year making the grand total of 2.  There probably will be at least one more item for BL making a grand total of.....2.

Sounds like even ground to me.  Although thats just a guess.

There is a pretty good selection of stuff for BL now.  More would be awsome and I am sure there will be but aparently not at the pace the fans would like.

#11 TheKingOfBlades

TheKingOfBlades

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:47 AM

@IraShaine1972

The thing that has battlelore fans upset is the lack of anything. No new expansions announced, No word from anybody not even Richard Borg is allowed to talk about his game, and not even an FAQ.

And Battles of Westeros has had 2 expansions released this year and it just had an announcement for a third expansion. Battlelore has had one expansion this year and if a second one was coming out this year ffg probably would have announced it already.

And yeah there's a good selection of stuff now but the game's been out for five years. I want to see this game receive support for years to come because there's still lots that can be done with it. I'd be happy to get two expansions a year. That would be perfectly fine with me (as long as the expansions are decently sized). But we have yet to hear from ffg that this game will continue to grow.

#12 Caboose

Caboose

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:08 AM

TheKingOfBlades said:

And yeah there's a good selection of stuff now but the game's been out for five years. I want to see this game receive support for years to come because there's still lots that can be done with it. I'd be happy to get two expansions a year. That would be perfectly fine with me (as long as the expansions are decently sized). But we have yet to hear from ffg that this game will continue to grow.

The last line is the key - we have yet to hear ANYTHING from FFG about Battlelore.  Or sure, the usual "BS" stuff of we have great things planned..but if one does NOT support the game at ONE Of the biggest gaming cons (Origins - i.e. no games for it), makes a "BS" copy of the battlelore game called Westlos and keeps supporting it, I doubt FFG will say much of anything.  

Like I said above, if I could go to Origins, I would be there front and center and making sure they ANSWER (none of that "We'll get back to you on that" BS line..they've had enough time!).

I know Richard has some great things for this game, based on talking with him (as well as others).  Sadly it seems FFG doesn't want anything to do with it!! :(

#13 Boromir_and_kermit

Boromir_and_kermit

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:19 AM

Their silence on the whole matter is VERY frustrating.

#14 Caboose

Caboose

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:08 AM

Even more frustrating - Just wrote another e-mail to customer support.  Get a generated e-mail from Thaadd (who no longer works there, as of last week).  Pretty sad that they can't even update a generated letter w/ an employee who actually works there.

#15 IraShaine1972

IraShaine1972

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:41 AM

Well if everybody keeps pushing hard I am sure more things will come.  Frankly I think FFG lets alot of games diminish in support while continuing to put out one new game after another.  I suppose that was my point.  I like alot of FFG games that could continue to be widely expanded not just Battlelore.  Some games havn't seen support in alot longer than Battlelore.

#16 DragonWhimsy

DragonWhimsy

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 09:14 AM

Part of me wants to see Caboose's reaction if they relaunch Battelore and use the BoW ruleset for it.

Yeah that's petty, but so is wishing the game I enjoy will die just because you have some mistaken belief that it has anything to do with the lack of expansions for your game.

It's simple. Either they're about to retool the entire game line or they're done with it. Either way that decision was reached by the sales of the BL expansions FFG has released. It has nothing to do with BoW.

And yes, every time you stir up BL controversy in the comments for a BoW announcement it summons me to this forum to annoy you Caboose. Personally I think you just missed me.

On the other hand I'm not actually petty and I do hope that the rest of you will get the expansions you want for BL. Gamers should stick together no matter what game they play. Right Caboose?

"Do you know the difference between an error and a mistake, Ensign? Anyone can make an error, but that error doesn't become a mistake until you refuse to correct it." -Grand Admiral Thrawn

#17 TheKingOfBlades

TheKingOfBlades

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 05:32 PM

@dragonwhimsy

I'm not sure you quite understand caboose's frustration. I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say caboose has been with battlelore since the beginning and caboose you can correct me if I'm wrong. So that's five years off supporting a game. Don't you think it would be pretty frustrating to see another game that has nothing to do with battlelore (except for sharing the colors green, blue, and red) while having a battlelore game on the front of every single one of it's products get expansion after expansion while we sit and wait to hear any news about the game that we really enjoy?

And if the game does get retooled I'm not so sure that it has anything to do with sales but has more to do wit Mr. Peterson's idea of what battlelore should be.

I hope this message doesn't sound mean or jerky because I don't mean it that way I'm just trying to explain the battlelore fans side of things

#18 Boromir_and_kermit

Boromir_and_kermit

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:26 AM

Yep, Caboose is one of us that has been around from the very start of the game.

I share his frustration and think that although I can see Dragon's point of view, to think that BOW has had no impact on Battlelore's release schedule simply cannot be true when it is the same design team that works on both games. Add this to the fact that BOW could not exist without the Battlelore license (in its current iteration - its on the box) and it looks like BOW is looking to add some magical elements now...

FFG need to just come out and tell everyone what the hell is going on. The constant waiting and wondering (how they hell does it take this long to sort out another base game?! ridiculous) just breeds negativity. Come clean and please tell us what is going on! You have no idea how much good faith a little information can garner.

#19 pot the ferret

pot the ferret

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 04:57 AM

Thinking about it logically in a business sense (mind you - things rarely play out in a logical fashion . . .)

They won't do anything until the stock of french sets are low and then based on the sales data- go from there. I'm assuming the profit margin should be pretty good even with (possibly) poor sales since they're not making anything and just re-packaging.

from there (probaby around Sept) they would probably release an over-priced hard back rulebook and adventure book covering the core set and all expansions (for all the owners of the french sets and for anyone who wants one reference book as oppossed to sixteen). I think they would package it with some sort of  promo figure and extra scenarios.

From there (Xmas or new year's) , second edition battlelore with two completely different races (with probably half the figures as the original core set) or possibly the death of battlelore and in it's place a completely new Richard Borg command and colors boardgame.

but I don't see them letting it go since according to their statistics, Battlelore ranks #10 out of all their products.

#20 pot the ferret

pot the ferret

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:50 AM

also, the reason why they're keeping mum about what's upcoming is probably because they don't want to hurt the sales of the french sets

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS