Gears of War Boardgame

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Gareson

Gareson

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:15 AM

Anyone know if the Gears of War game is still in the works?  As an avid Gears player, and FFG player, this was a match made in heaven for me...but no word lately except for some box covers that show up here and there on the net.  Please tell me this game is still in development!

#2 Dreamshadow

Dreamshadow

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:40 AM

Yes, I'd like to know more too.  The Descent / Doom engine would work well for it.

#3 failed2k

failed2k

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 06:18 PM

I second this idea to the max

#4 Jayrome007

Jayrome007

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:55 AM

I'm not sure if you've seen this or not yet, but they just announced (2/20/09) your beloved Gears of War Boardgame is coming out in the 4th Quarter of 2009. The big question now is will this just be another Doom: The Boardgame clone? If so, count me out.

Jason Walden
Board Game Producer
Fantasy Flight Games
jwalden@fantasyflightgames.com

#5 flervk

flervk

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 01:29 AM

Jayrome007 said:

I'm not sure if you've seen this or not yet, but they just announced (2/20/09) your beloved Gears of War Boardgame is coming out in the 4th Quarter of 2009. The big question now is will this just be another Doom: The Boardgame clone? If so, count me out.

yep, I agree.

I'm not a big fan of computer version, but board game may be nice.

if they implement totally new concept, that is.

#6 HauRuck

HauRuck

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 06:59 PM

Were I to design the game I'd probably borrow a few things from Doom/Descent but looking at one of the key/core concepts in Gears of War any kind of direct evolution of those games would not in anyway capture the feel of Gears of War... So I would highly doubt they are doing that.  The concept of cover (in otherwise open terrain) is key to the game so I imagine more larger square shaped boards with lots of obstacles (movable tiles) vs. more corridor based boards and mechanics...

Given FFG's history and the value of the Gears of War IP I seriously doubt they will let us down on this one...

#7 WarWhore

WarWhore

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 09:51 AM

I am hopeful that FFG will come up with a concept/design that retains a high replay value. I can easily see:

• Descent's interlocking tile system being used/modified, especially since GoW combat relies heavily on line-of-sight.
  • An addition of something like a Z-axis, to incorporate high-ground and pinning down of players/enemies.
  • Trophies/Points/Recognition for curb-stomps, finishing moves, team-mate resucitations, etc
  • Regular FFG league play
  • 4-6 man co-op squirmishes/campaigns
  • Variants of GoW multiplayer; Horde, Wingman, etc. including PvP scenarios/maps

Dang... I am excited for this game.

#8 Osaka

Osaka

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 02:55 AM

I have a certain amount of sympathy for the game designers...  There are times when they acquire a license, and there's no humanly possible way they can live up to people's expectations of them.  Not to say they haven't pulled through consistently so far...  Just that they don't have an easy road ahead of them.

I tend to agree with the earlier posters...  A Doom BG clone would not work here.  I'd be much happier seeing something that's a bit more of a tactical game...  Since cover and LoS are such key elements in the video game, it'd be good to see them be important and interesting elements in the boardgame as well.

Ultimately, though, we'll just have to wait and see!  Who knows, maybe they'll have a playable demo ready for Gencon?

#9 gonrhade

gonrhade

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:44 AM

i think it is verry easy to make a gow game . a big fanbase is there.

but the price class ist different, a 3d map and cool looking figures (cool if the minis have wepons on it that the player has) . the halo boardgame was and is awfull with this wepon cards.

but ffg has a ghost with token and cards :(. so i hope for a good game that is far far away from doom.

move, action and one comand and event card.  like the old space hulk. the great point is like the vg campain  and mp action.

mp with 8 players would be cool like the video game, here were such dice like space hulk 2  gold. + color dice with greater chances.

and please take all von gow 1+2  but sad gow sound like space hulk and that seems to come too.

#10 ClockworkHorror

ClockworkHorror

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:11 AM

Something Doomish/Descentish would indeed be interesting.

But there's always the possibility of them doing it a la Mutant Chronicles. A non-collectible miniatures game. The toy factor for the game is huge... imagine having a prepainted Brumak or Centaur tank. A squad of Cogs or Locust. I think that would be bloody sweet.

#11 Jakews

Jakews

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:06 AM

I think something Descent like would be nice. Perhaps an objective based Doom like game would be really cool.

#12 PBnJ

PBnJ

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 12:56 AM

So it looks like a 50/50 split between Descent/doom like game and non-Descent/ doom like.  So For me I could go for either one. 

But if make the game non -doom like but with minis.  I would be cool if ffg would make a bonus download for stats and rule for the GoW minis to be played on the doom board game. ( that's if the minis are the same size ofcourse).

#13 Jakews

Jakews

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:41 PM

Actually, I would really like to see Gears of War take form of a miniature Skirmish game on a board for two players each controlling a side. I would buy this sooner than a re-release of Space Hulk from Games Workshop simply because Fantasy Flight made it and hopefully the product will be slightly cheaper. I’ve been anticipating this release for a long time. Fantasy Flight, when are you going to release some teasers so we know what to expect? I hope really soon. The wait is killing me!

PBnJ said:

So it looks like a 50/50 split between Descent/doom like game and non-Descent/ doom like.  So For me I could go for either one. 

But if make the game non -doom like but with minis.  I would be cool if ffg would make a bonus download for stats and rule for the GoW minis to be played on the doom board game. ( that's if the minis are the same size ofcourse).

#14 OldUrmel

OldUrmel

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:46 AM

How about a game like Tannhäuser ?!? No one mentions it here ?!

I would prefer something rather new (no Doom and Descent)

So why not make it a squad game like Space Hulk ? And Avalon Hill also got some 3D games like Star Wars The queens gambit. Although not a really good game it got a really nice idea with the three boards. Why not use it for Gears. While the heroes have to go underground like in the game there could be another board where humans battle locust rather with armies than single models ...

#15 OldUrmel

OldUrmel

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:48 AM

I however fear that FantasyFlight will waste some of the story ... it would have been the best to wait for Gears3 ... just think of the end of the second part ...

that way I also could save some money... There are so many hot games coming ... (Middle Earth Quest, Chaos in the Old World ...)

#16 Jakews

Jakews

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 02:16 AM

I've never played Tannauser. Would it's style of play lend itself well to Gears of War. I'd imagine so, but I was thinking something more Space Hulk like. Only time will tell what the final product is like.

#17 antiflood

antiflood

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:24 AM

Who has an info about GEARS OF WAR: THE BOARD GAME ??? ? ??? ???????? ?????. ??????.

#18 Jakews

Jakews

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 04:10 PM

I haven't heard anything lately yet either. It'd be cool to hear about this, but FF has a lot of other great stuff going on too now.

antiflood said:

Who has an info about GEARS OF WAR: THE BOARD GAME ??? ? ??? ???????? ?????. ??????.

#19 antiflood

antiflood

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:22 AM

Yeah. The silence is very sad

#20 moktook

moktook

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 12:56 PM

I hope they don't  try to make it feel too much like the game. I'll definitly be buying it if I can play as Cole Train! 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS