I've never ever touched a miniature before in my life. Was never into miniature games, but Dust has really grabbed my attention with its simple mechanics and gorgeous figures. And so I've decided to venture into painting my set, something I've never done before. I've decided to do this not only because they (hopefully) will look better, but also because I'm quite annoyed at how hard it is to separate each squadron before playing, and even quickly telling them apart during a match. With individual colour schemes, hopefully it will make it easier and more fun to identify each different unit.
Anyway, where do I start? Paints, gotta have those. Unfortunately there aren't hardly any hobby stores around where I live, so all I could get my hands on were a few enamel paints, along with some I borrowed from a friend. The guy guaranteed me they were no different from acrylic paints, other than being soluble in thinner:
Since I'm no fool, I decided to start with the cover elements, leaving the figures for after I'd got some experience and learned from my first mistakes. VERY smart idea! I started with the tank traps, since the base color I wanted was the gray plastic itself. I quickly mixed a wash with black and some thinner and smeared across the tank traps. It flowed much less than I expected and it looked like the whole thing would turn black, so I quickly took a cloth and lightly wiped the wash away, which worked quite well since the wash remained in the recesses, but left the raised surfaces their original light gray. After that dried a bit I painted the base with a couple different browns for a muddy look, and finished off by doing some drybrushing with light gray. I was amazed at how effective the drybrushing was, all the cracks and jagged edges really popped out! Anyway, this was the final result, of which I was actually quite proud:
Then I moved to the ammo crates, and there things started falling appart. It immediately became obvious those things were NOT pre-primed, and the paint had a hard time sticking. This required several hands, and the result was far from smooth. The allied crates turned out all right, with a light green colour which should look good once I add some weathering. The axis crates, however..... First of all I picked the wrong colour, a dark blue that just didn't work as expected. To make matters worse I actually mixed the wrong colour (a gloss blue) on the caps, so it really looked horrible. As the final nail on the coffin, I tried applying a black wash to it and it didn't flow at all. It just stained the whole thing.
I was so disatisfied with the axis crates that decided to take the "tabula rasa" approach and start over by wiping the whole thing with thinner. Since I didn't know how well that would work, I only did it to one crate as a test. I think I'll try a dark gray instead.
Since I was clearly doing something wrong with the washes, I decided to take the flak cannon I wouldn't ever use from my Loth and do some tests with it. The wash dissolved in thinner clearly isn't working. I went back to the shop and bought an acrylic black, and later on I'll try to do a water-based wash.
And so, I decided to tackle my soldiers. While the wash situation is still not resolved, I'm already confident enough to do the base colours (realizing that you actually have to stir the paint was a huge breakthrough, as it took me a while to notice half the thing was congealed on the bottom o fthe can!). I chose the Recon Boys, deciding to use the base primer's green for the coats, which should make the job a bit easier. Painting inside all those nooks and crannies was a huge pain, I'm sure my brush is way to big, cause I can't imagine how some of you guys get the sort of detail you do. I'll have to search for somethig thinner. Anyway, no real disasters occured, and I think this was a decent start. I'm not happy with the pants colour, I thought it was a light gray but it looks white, not sure which colour to use. Once I get a smaller brush I'll try adding a darker brown to the boots and some details to the coat and backpack.
I'm just REALLy scared of when the time comes to dunk these in the dark wash....
Edited by Loophole Master, 03 July 2013 - 12:48 PM.