Winnable with only one investigator?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 kookoobah

kookoobah

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:17 PM

Has anybody tried to play this with only one investigator and won? That would probably be truly epic.

#2 The Message

The Message

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:36 PM

Sealing would be difficult, to say the least. The most likely strategy would be to beef up and wake the GOO up, then kill him in one or two big attacks.

#3 Acebob

Acebob

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:32 PM

While that I agree that final combat is the best way to win as a single investigator, I think that a victory by seals is also possible. With GOOs with a track of 12 or more, its much easier. But if you're going up against one with a 10 or 11 track, combat is probably ideal.

#4 thorgrim

thorgrim

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:41 PM

Yeah, I've had a number of solo wins, mostly by kicking the GOO in final combat, but I have also had a couple via sealing or closing.

My most memorable was with Carolyn Fern playing base Arkham only, she drew a stash of great weapons during setup, Find Gate during her first encounter and an Elder Sign during her first Other World Encounter. I soon had the Woods sealed, got Blessed during a 3 in a row monster surge, entered the 2nd Gate with 3 clues, came out with 5, sealed Independence Square. 3 in a row monster surges again while I closed the third (and final) gate.

#5 Raging Piglet

Raging Piglet

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:01 AM

AH is more fun as a single player game if you play it with more than 1 investigator.  I find 1 investigator to be a bit frustrating.  2-3 is fun.  Any more becomes a bit of a chore.

#6 Kobu

Kobu

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:43 AM

I've gone back to playing a single investigator with mulitple expansions by skipping a number of mythos and upkeep phases. It works well.

I've only won the base game with one investigator by sealing gates.

#7 The Message

The Message

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:51 PM

Oh, I'd also recommend using the optional variant were you treat the final battle as if there were 4 investigators even if there are less (It's in the designer's houserules, wherever that is these days), just so that doesn't turn out to be an anticlimax. "Woah, did you see that guy beat up Nyarlathotep with a bat?"

#8 StarBurn

StarBurn

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:42 PM

I won by sealing, solo with the base game.

The truly ipossible feat is winning by closing in solo.

#9 thorgrim

thorgrim

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:12 PM

StarBurn said:

Not impossible, just very rare.

#10 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,585 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:07 AM

StarBurn said:

Entering the first open gate, and then getting monster surges on that gate until you come back out and close it seems like it would be more common than actually achieving six seals while solo.

#11 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,290 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:12 AM

Get De Vermiis Mysteris in 1-investigator game (esp. if a High-Lore one) in starting equipment and you got a pretty decent shot . The actual game might not even make to Arkham Encounter phase of turn 1 !

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#12 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,585 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:51 AM

What if the top cards on the deck were all six "The Next Act Begins" cards and a bunch of double-doom cards? That would be a riot.

#13 mageith

mageith

• Members
  • 733 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:10 AM

Tibs said:

Entering the first open gate, and then getting monster surges on that gate until you come back out and close it seems like it would be more common than actually achieving six seals while solo.

Less than 2% (1.67 %) chance of happening if the first gate is a major gate and you are only playing the basic game.  About once every 60 games. (Probably about the same as rift coming out without a Mythos card or more often than the Necronomicon being turned in at the Library to turn up the benefit card and definitely more often than becoming Beloved of Bast.)

#14 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,585 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 06:14 AM

That sounds right. But I still think that it's more likely to happen than to manage to seal 6 gates before too many open or the doom track is filled.

#15 xfoley8

xfoley8

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:53 PM

I cheat a bit with my solo games, just because you don't get to explore enough playing as the rules say with 1 character.  I give myself 1 upkeep phase and 2 movement/encounter phases each turn (upkeep, movement, encounter, movement, encounter), then a mythos.  I think it's extremely rare to get 6 seals in a solo game otherwise (and even then, I rarely win that way).  I play the final battle that you only need one success per doom, but then I play once-per-turn special abilities the hard way (you can only use Leo Anderson's "Leadership" ability once in the final battle with the GOO, etc.).  I'm thinking I might start playing it that I need 2 successes per doom, given that I'm essentially taking 2 turns, but if I do that I'll probably give myself a 2nd upkeep phase before the 2nd movement (my concession in trying to keep the game balanced and to play as intended is only allowing 1 upkeep at the start of a turn).  

I don't like playing with more than 1 investigator- it gives me a headache trying to keep track of who goes first per turn, remembering special abilities, making plans for each investigator, etc.  The game feels like it takes forever that way, and I usually don't have 4 or 5 hrs at a time to play.  Plus, I like concentrating on 1 character's abilities.  I usually play with a herald and a guardian, too, though I find Kingsport and Dunwich a real (and much less fun) chore with just 1 character.  My solo games have been clocking in at about 1.5 to 2 hrs each, which feels about right.  Playing with the rules as written, I used to win about 5% of the time.  Now I win roughly 50% of the time, which makes me want to play more.  The quicker games and variety of match-ups also allows me to discover better how investigators and GOOs pair up, card combinations and abilities work together, etc.- sometimes I get surprised at the outcome.  A solo game with Rex Murphy, Tulzscha, and Yig is kind of a ***** (and quick!) if you're trying to seal gates, you get a lot of cultists and open gates, and Yiggy wakes up- I couldn't round up a decent weapon in time and had my butt handed to me, when I thought Yig would be an easy win.

#16 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,585 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 01:33 AM

A lot of people play that you just draw a Mythos card every other turn. You could do that instead of counting how many upkeeps you've had, etc.

#17 mageith

mageith

• Members
  • 733 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 04:47 AM

Tibs said:

A lot of people play that you just draw a Mythos card every other turn. You could do that instead of counting how many upkeeps you've had, etc.

That would increase your chances of winning by closing, if a major gate opened on the first turn to: 14% due to a monster surge on your next turn (9/66) if the investigator went into that gate right away. If the investigator has the Find Gate spell it goes to nearly 100%.

I'd adjust all the rules to play like a 2 Investigator game (ie like playing with 2 investigators with the same stats: (Darrell and my brother Darrell)): 1 more monster or board, 1 less monster in outskirts and close 2 gates to win.

#18 StarBurn

StarBurn

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:32 AM

Sealing of the major gates is the best tactic to go and it has a higher succes rate, than just blind luck in first round, you have to draw a good spell caster (so he would actually draw seplls) then draw the find gate, and then be really lucky to have the same gate open a few times to cause surges.

#19 mageith

mageith

• Members
  • 733 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:59 AM

kookoobah said:

Has anybody tried to play this with only one investigator and won? That would probably be truly epic.

According to the recorded stats only one person has done it: tathui  with Mandy vs Shub with the Deputy.  Pretty impressive to me since Shub is my nemesis.

I tried it with the Wendy, then Daisy.   Wendy got 4 seals and Daisy with Shantak almost go 2 (both have abilities almost as good as the patrol wagon) before the terror level got them.  I was playing with only the basic game and didn't realize how many cards add 2 monsters as part of the headlines.   Wendy last 19 turns and Daisy lasted 24 turns.  Poor Daisy started with the "Good Works undone" rumor which didn't go away for too long a time.    Both were cursed at some time during the game.  Daisy for a long time.

#20 xfoley8

xfoley8

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:41 AM

Tibs said:

I would probably have a harder time remembering whether I was at the end of my 2nd or first turn than I do remembering how many movement/encounters I've had.  Just the way my brain is wired I guess- too much happens over the course of a turn to remember whether I drew a mythos last time or not.  I think this would make the game longer, too.  I'm happy with the way I'm playing it now, though I thank you for the input.  If I played it this way, I'd definitely say 2 successes per doom.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS