Playing tonight, need some suggestions!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MechSpike

MechSpike

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 04:46 AM

Alright so I haven't played Arkham Horror in a while but me and a small group of friends used to play quite often. We are busting it back out tonight for a session and I'm bringing a noob friend. My problem is, I own all 5 expansions and I need to figure out a perfect combination of which ones to play. My friends and I haven't played KIY or BG yet and hardly have played Pharoah. So what is a good combination of expansions where things won't get too hectic for a noob but also add some spice to the game for us vets. Also, once the expansions are chosen what cards can I take out/leave in. For instance, if I run KH but not DH, do I leave in the Arkham encounters for DH? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

#2 TehTentacle

TehTentacle

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 05:10 AM

I'd recommend using one of the small expansions, then maybe add a few pieces from the big expansions, such as madness/injury cards, some new items and the epic battlecards. There are thousands of possibilities. You might also want to use a herald/guardian and maybe an AO  from DH or KH. Don't forget the characters!

Don't worry about the encounter cards too much, you don't really have to sort them if you don't want to, but you may want to explore more those of the small expansion, again, it's a matter of taste. With mythos cards I suggest you take all the cards from the small expansion you're going to use and then add about half of the base game's deck.

This is the way I usually go, unless I'm playing with a big exp.

#3 Razrael

Razrael

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 06:14 AM

We mix in all the mythos & gate cards.

Then play play a few of the new rules (madness/blight/epic/difficulty).

Pick characters from the full selection along with GOOs

Then any gate or mytos cards that are not for part of the original board that are drawn just get put back in the deck.

Works for us.

#4 ColtsFan76

ColtsFan76

Rules Guru

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 08:11 AM

Why not just the base game?  you are all rusty I assume and could use the chance to get back into it without adding complexity.

But as long as all of you know what's going on, the noob should do just fine.  If you are set on an expansion, why not just add King in Yellow or Black Goat?  CotDP has some awkward explanations int he text and is subject to a lot of interpretation.  So it might be best to leave that one out for him.

#5 MechSpike

MechSpike

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 08:26 AM

Well we are definitely going to use some expansion cause we really want to see what Black Goat is all about...I was thinking using one board and one card expansion or just two card expansions. Alright so Pharoah I guess would be out...KIY seems pretty fun. And I want to trim everything down first instead of just throwing cards out if they pop up. I guess what I'm wondering is, are there any specific combination of expansions you guys enjoy playing with? Like a specific two that go together well?

#6 Elric91

Elric91

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:45 AM

I played black goat through twice and never once drew a single cult membership card or a single corruption card. We did the standard way of mixing the new stuff in with the old decks, and aside from an item or two and a few location cards, nothing much new was seen.

If you want to get a feel for BG then i would recommend just starting everyone out with a cult membership card, like they had just infiltrated the cults inner circle.

The other way is to play with the black goat of the woods as your herald, but thats going to make things crazy and hard very fast, especially for the new guy, so i would recommend avoiding that.

A simple modification at start up should get some good interaction with the black goat components without getting crazy on the new guy, and should add a bit of spice for you vets.

Otherwise, if you just mix in the new cards with the old ones, you run a solid chance of feeling like you are not really playing the expansion at all, just drawing a few new items and a few new location cards.

#7 ColtsFan76

ColtsFan76

Rules Guru

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 01:23 PM

MechSpike said:

I guess what I'm wondering is, are there any specific combination of expansions you guys enjoy playing with? Like a specific two that go together well?

Here is the collective wisdom of the BGG community:

http://www.boardgame.../geeklist/37812

In summary, anything receiving a nod from 10% or more of the voters:

+ Dunwich Horror (DH) 55.60%
+ King In Yellow (KiY) 30.20%

Base Game only 30.20%
+ Black Goat of the Woods (BGoTW) 28.60%
+ Kingsport Horror (KH) 28.60%
+ CotDP + DH + KiY + KH + BGotW 23.80%
+ Curse of the Dark Pharaoh (CofDP) 22.20%
+ DH + KH 15.90%
+ DH + KiY 15.90%
+ DH + BGotW 14.30%

+ KH + BGotW 11.10%

Bold indicates an interesting result.  Most people prefer to play with each expansion individually although "all of them together" got a healthy vote.  The combos started with Dunwich and any other expansion of your choice basically.  (DH + CotDP just missed the cut-off with 9.5% of the vote).

#8 Harms

Harms

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:14 AM

I personally prefer to always use the injury/madness cards from DH no matter what other expansions I'm using. In my opinion they add so much in style and options that I don't want to live without them.

#9 mageith

mageith

• Members
  • 733 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:02 AM

MechSpike said:

Alright so I haven't played Arkham Horror in a while but me and a small group of friends used to play quite often. We are busting it back out tonight for a session and I'm bringing a noob friend. My problem is, I own all 5 expansions and I need to figure out a perfect combination of which ones to play. My friends and I haven't played KIY or BG yet and hardly have played Pharoah. So what is a good combination of expansions where things won't get too hectic for a noob but also add some spice to the game for us vets. Also, once the expansions are chosen what cards can I take out/leave in. For instance, if I run KH but not DH, do I leave in the Arkham encounters for DH? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

What did you use? How did it go? How did you do?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS