Photo

From Sickbay to the Brig: which target can be chosen?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ektelioth

Ektelioth

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:44 PM

Hello,

As seen as in the last version of the FAQ, a player who is in the Brig cannot go to the Sickbay. But is there a point somewhere saying that a player in the Brig cannot be chosen as the target for this effect, even if the effect is not resolved?

My friends and myself have got some difficulties to decide because there are examples which could go both ways. First, when a player has to chose to discard X cards (from a Crisis card, for example), he can do so even if he has not the good number of cards (speaking of effects, not costs like Roslin's disadvantage). Next to that point, it is said precisely that a player in the Brig (or Sickbay) cannot be chosen as a target for an effect sending him to this same location. Do this point also apply to the Brig -> Sickbay effect, or can the targetting be done even if the effect is not completely resolved?

Thanks in advance if someone has an official answer hidden in his sleeve!

#2 Holy Outlaw

Holy Outlaw

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:34 AM

It is legal to choose either option on a "Current Player Chooses" or similar crisis card, even if you cannot fully satisfy the text of the chosen effect.  Once the effect has been selected, though, it must be fulfilled to the best of your ability.  Thus, it is illegal to choose a character in the Brig to send to Sickbay.  

#3 Ektelioth

Ektelioth

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:33 AM

So, if I understand you well, I cannot target someone who is in the Brig with an effect sending him to the Sickbay because there would be other targets on which the effect could be fully resolved, right? Is there a point somewhere in the rules or FAQ explaining this, or is it an opinion? 

Thanks for this answer, though  

#4 Holy Outlaw

Holy Outlaw

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:24 AM

Oh man, now I remember this one.  So as it turns out, this is a question that has never been resolved to all parties' satisfaction.  Personally, I combine the statements in several places in the rulebook about having to fully resolve the instructions on a crisis to interpret that until someone is moved, the crisis isn't resolved.  (I'm talking about fairly straightforward phrases like on page 11 of the rulebook where it says that event crises "have instructions that must be immediately followed.")  The president can discard fewer than three cards to a water shortage because no matter how many times he tries to discard more, he won't be able to.  On the other hand, if a (hypothetical) card said that the fleet must discard a total of ten cards, you couldn't select the empty-handed guy ten times and then say you did your best.  The FAQ, while not worded as clearly as it could be, gives three examples of characters who for various reasons cannot be moved, and in each case, it says that the character's choice would be illegal: "Q: If a player is required to choose a character to send to the “Brig” or “Sickbay,” can he choose a character that is already there?  A: No. He also cannot choose a revealed Cylon player, or “Helo” before he is on the board (due to his negative ability)."

Anyway, sorry it isn't definitive.  Maybe we really do need an FAQ on this.  (More context for this discussion can be found here: http://www.fantasyfl...=1&efidt=446088.)

#5 Ektelioth

Ektelioth

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 06:33 PM

Hey, no need to be sorry, you explained your point very clearly and I think we will follow your thinking in our next games. Before my last answer I had also been looking for examples like the hypothetical 10 cards to discard, but as there was no such thing I had to ask if your answer was based on something. Even if it is not said in bold and underlined, that seems a straight way to play, so thank you 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS