Monster-Slayer Wanted!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 flamethrower49

flamethrower49

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 08:25 AM

Just another day in Arkham:  Jim, Kate, Rita and DIana were going about their business.  Kate had just visited the Newspaper and obtained a retainer.  The next turn, Rita was looking to get into a gate that was guarded by a Gug she couldn't take.  Kate cast Lure Monster to get it out of the way and bring it to the Newspaper, and promptly evaded it to get away.  The next Mythos card was Help Wanted at the Newspaper - presumably, because there was a Gug in the printing room.  Jim responded to the ad, killing the Gug in the process.  He lost that retainer as fast as possible - I guess it was only a temp job.  $4 for killing a Gug isn't bad, though.  Kate kept her retainer for a while, before Doyle Jeffries realized she was still on the payroll. 

The next Mythos card after that was the Neighborhood Sale.  We noted that it was a bad time to hold a garage sale - there was a Flying Polyp patrolling the skies, and the classified couldn't have gotten printed in time. 

Two unrelated rules questions:

1.  When a Mythos card says that all monsters in a neighborhood return to the cup, does that count spawn monsters like the Riots and the children of Aboth?  Of course they never return to the cup, but I do believe they are taken off the board.  This is correct, correct?

2.  Warding of the Yellow Sign states that no monsters may appear from a gate on that location.  Monster Surge rules state that no gate that monsters come out of may have more than the host gate.  So if the gate with the warding on it has the monster surge, does Warding of the Yellow Sign effectively prevent the monster surge?  Again, I think so, but let me know.

#2 ColtsFan76

ColtsFan76

Rules Guru

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:32 AM

flamethrower49 said:

Just another day in Arkham:  Jim, Kate, Rita and DIana were going about their business.  Kate had just visited the Newspaper and obtained a retainer.  The next turn, Rita was looking to get into a gate that was guarded by a Gug she couldn't take.  Kate cast Lure Monster to get it out of the way and bring it to the Newspaper, and promptly evaded it to get away.  The next Mythos card was Help Wanted at the Newspaper - presumably, because there was a Gug in the printing room.  Jim responded to the ad, killing the Gug in the process.  He lost that retainer as fast as possible - I guess it was only a temp job.  $4 for killing a Gug isn't bad, though.  Kate kept her retainer for a while, before Doyle Jeffries realized she was still on the payroll. 

The next Mythos card after that was the Neighborhood Sale.  We noted that it was a bad time to hold a garage sale - there was a Flying Polyp patrolling the skies, and the classified couldn't have gotten printed in time. 

Two unrelated rules questions:

1.  When a Mythos card says that all monsters in a neighborhood return to the cup, does that count spawn monsters like the Riots and the children of Aboth?  Of course they never return to the cup, but I do believe they are taken off the board.  This is correct, correct?

2.  Warding of the Yellow Sign states that no monsters may appear from a gate on that location.  Monster Surge rules state that no gate that monsters come out of may have more than the host gate.  So if the gate with the warding on it has the monster surge, does Warding of the Yellow Sign effectively prevent the monster surge?  Again, I think so, but let me know.

1. Spawn monsters are usually not affected by the "normal" monster mechanics. So they would ignore this text.

2. The "no more than the surging gate" rule is only for distribution purposes.  It would not affect the actual surge though.  So if the WotYS was on a surging gate, distribute the monsters* as you normally would .  Any that would end up at the WotYS would then not materialize.  A similar approach has to be taken when gates are open in Dunwich, Arkham is at or near the limits, and a surging gate occurs in Arkham.

* = And i am saying "distribute" as a means to illustrate.  The "math" would have to be worked out before any monsters are drawn from the cup.

#3 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,579 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:35 AM

Right, Spawn monsters are unaffected by effects such as "all monsters in neighborhood X are returned to the cup." This is actually official, though I don't care to dig up my citation; sorry.

This is why I hated High School essays.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS