Photo

Why is Eowyn *so* good? Advice on getting Progress tokens without her?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 gatharion

gatharion

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:48 AM

I'm just starting to get into this game. I haven't done any deck-building yet, but it will be pretty tempting to play Eowyn every time.

She seems to be the best for actually accumulating progress tokens.

I've only played two games so far. The first one was two-player; I used the Spirit deck and my brother used the Tactics deck. With Eowyn and her special ability, we ended up usually pretty low on cards, but absolutely crushed the first scenario.

This morning I tried that scenario again solo with the Leadership deck and this time I was just creamed. I'm looking forward to tinkering with the decks and trying various things out, but Eowyn sure seems like the top choice for getting those Progress tokens.

I'm totally down with that character having a high Willpower, but with a base value that is at least double that of (almost) every other Hero seems a bit excessive. 

#2 Apophenia

Apophenia

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:51 AM

I believe Eowyn's greatest strength is the boost she gives during the first couple of turns. It is hardest to marshal enough Willpower to get success tokens on those turns because you don't have many allies to help you. Eowyn makes questing those first few turns much easier. However once your questing willpower reaches around five her utility drops. She has absolutely no versatility because only thing she is good at doing is questing. (Still you can't go wrong with 4 willpower)

Leadership gets progress tokens by using Aragorn, Celebrian's Stone, Faramir, and lots of allies. Lore has some good Willpower heroes, ways of ignoring threat strength, and the ability to predict what is coming up. Tactics has Legolas..... and practically nothing else.

#3 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:28 AM

I never felt the need to use Eowyn. Using Protector of Lorien (thrice a deck) will give a better effect in a majority of games. I play a Spirit-minor deck and there Dunhere seems a better option indeed.

#4 Mestrahd

Mestrahd

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 11:55 AM

Protector of Lorien is essentially just Eowyn's action. Having it in multiples doesn't help you either since you can't count one discard for 3 willpower. I don't really see how that is better than a straight 4 willpower...

#5 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:04 PM

Mestrahd said:

Protector of Lorien is essentially just Eowyn's action. Having it in multiples doesn't help you either since you can't count one discard for 3 willpower. I don't really see how that is better than a straight 4 willpower...

It is infinitely better since you can not only discard multiple cards whilst questing but you can (at the same round) discard more cards whilst defending. Of course it is a different thing, attachment vs hero, but I find Eowyn very overrated around these boards, at least I never missed her in my games. Perhaps she is a bit more essential in solo, as I mostly play coop. Questing isn't all in this game, surely.

#6 Dante99

Dante99

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:10 PM

The problem with Eowyn with me is that she is not good at anything else than questing. 1 attack and 1 defense don't go very far.

But she has come in handy in several of the games I have played.

#7 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:10 PM

Mestrahd said:

Oh, I think we didn't understand each other firstly. You probably thought I meant having 3 copies of Protector on a Hero whilst I meant in the deck - to maximize the chance of drawing it...

And do you know that you can discard multiple cards using Protector? Each card will give the bonus, as with Eowyn, but there each player can only discard one, here only one player can discard but as many cards as he can or wants, and not only for questing but also defending.

#8 Mighty Jim

Mighty Jim

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:35 PM

Given that questing comes first, unless you have unexpected courage, the fact that Eowyn can't really fight (must be doubly embaressing for the Witch-King of angmar to have been taken out by someone with only 1 attack) doesn't really matter. She's always the first chracter committed to a quest, and unless you're one of the people who likes to stall on questing so that they can end up with a perfect score, achieved over 78 turns, what's not to like about 4+ willpower?

#9 gatharion

gatharion

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:15 PM

Mighty Jim said:

Given that questing comes first, unless you have unexpected courage, the fact that Eowyn can't really fight (must be doubly embaressing for the Witch-King of angmar to have been taken out by someone with only 1 attack) doesn't really matter. She's always the first chracter committed to a quest, and unless you're one of the people who likes to stall on questing so that they can end up with a perfect score, achieved over 78 turns, what's not to like about 4+ willpower?

That was my take, the lack of defense and attack stats doesn't really matter, because you just commit her to the Quest each turn. Just make sure you've got some strong fighters to back her up.

#10 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 01:24 AM

Mighty Jim said:

Sure. But as I said, in a Spirit-minor deck I play Dunhere. And there's been many cases where stuff like Hummerhorns or Goblin Sniper came up and I felt very fortunate to have the Rohan Rider on my side. The Willpower of 4 wouldn't be very useful if the beastly crickets attacked.

#11 Kiwina

Kiwina

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 04:04 AM

gatharion said:

Mighty Jim said:

That was my take, the lack of defense and attack stats doesn't really matter, because you just commit her to the Quest each turn. Just make sure you've got some strong fighters to back her up.

Her 3 HP is what keeps her from being over powered.  Cards like Dol Guldur Orcs and The Necromancer's Reach are what I worry about when I play with her.

#12 pumpkin

pumpkin

• Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 04:39 AM

She is really useful in a solo deck because she allows you to get a foot hold in the game early on, while you don't have many allies etc in play. You can quest just with her and still keep on top of threat early on, leaving other heroes to defend/attack as needed. 

She is probably less useful (or probably not missed so much) in multi player.

lleimmoen, who else is in your Spirit minor deck (which other sphere and heroes), it would be interesting to see which other heroes you use to get the willpower to quest early on, or is it more of a case of treading water in those early rounds untli you can get some allies and PoL into play?

#13 ClydeCloggie

ClydeCloggie

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 04:50 AM

Questing with just Eowyn is very tempting (especially with Favour of the Lady and Celebrian's Stone on her), until you run into Dol Guldur Orcs.

Really, of all the enemies in the game I think those Orcs are the ones who have hurt me most often.

#14 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,272 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:35 AM

ClydeCloggie said:

Questing with just Eowyn is very tempting (especially with Favour of the Lady and Celebrian's Stone on her), until you run into Dol Guldur Orcs.

Really, of all the enemies in the game I think those Orcs are the ones who have hurt me most often.

Only committing Eowyn and drawing Black Forest Bats also results in hairpulling .

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#15 avgzxc

avgzxc

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:38 AM

Any sort of very heavy tactics deck(s) means very weak willpower overall. Nothing will fix this better than 4 willpower Eowyn and her faithful band of Northern Trackers..

#16 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:52 AM

pumpkin said:

She is really useful in a solo deck because she allows you to get a foot hold in the game early on, while you don't have many allies etc in play. You can quest just with her and still keep on top of threat early on, leaving other heroes to defend/attack as needed. 

She is probably less useful (or probably not missed so much) in multi player.

lleimmoen, who else is in your Spirit minor deck (which other sphere and heroes), it would be interesting to see which other heroes you use to get the willpower to quest early on, or is it more of a case of treading water in those early rounds untli you can get some allies and PoL into play?

Thanks for the interest. I play Dunhere with Aragorn and Theodred. So unless I get the Stone, the Willpower isn't that great. Most of my games are coop though with a Lore-Tactics (including Glorfindel who helps some deal). I think you are surelly right about the difference between the solo and coop play. I think it is very significant now.

PS: When I play solo, the first rounds are indeed tough with questing although Aragorn can both quest and fight. It is usually Faramir or Northern Tracker who get things going.

#17 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:57 AM

ClydeCloggie said:

Oh, I hate the suckers. There were games when I drew all three copies within four rounds of the game...

Out of interest, who do you guys usually group Eowyn with? It seems to me that a Lore deck is quite needed since her partial frailty with all the questing may be a big issue.

#18 pumpkin

pumpkin

• Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:25 AM

I am trying out a Denethor, Dunhere, Eowyn deck that is performing very well at the moment and has pretty low starting threat too

#19 ClydeCloggie

ClydeCloggie

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:05 AM

pumpkin said:

I am trying out a Denethor, Dunhere, Eowyn deck that is performing very well at the moment and has pretty low starting threat too

I went Dunhere / Aragorn which meant starting threat of 29. Basically against Anduin the first round would be hairy: you have to quest well to avoid a Threat rise, and then play either Gandalf or Galadhrim's Greetings second turn to avoid running into the Troll too early. My wins against that scenario invariably came after being able to pull off the aforementioned.

#20 avgzxc

avgzxc

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 03:08 AM

When I want to play Gimli/Thalin and Legolas I always end up using Eowyn as a 3rd hero.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS