Servo_harness: how many attacks?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 grissom

grissom

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:45 AM

It works as in Dark Heresy where any Mechadendrite (ballistic/melee)  count as an additional attack?

If not, why a Servo-Harness consist in two servo-arms???? 

#2 Akil

Akil

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:28 PM

as much effectivly as any character +1 as a reaction. =D
meaning, Furious Assault 1+1 as reaction if hitting, Lightning attack 3 +1 offhand +1 as reaction, now Dual Strike could be interesting, as you bash up the target with all applicable melee attacks you have. As a Techmarine with a Servo Harness I would assume 3, 2 Arms 1 Axe, quite gruesome. If you consider, give him "Multiple Arms" then he would gain all benefits as per the Multiple Arms trait rules p. 133. Wich is imho the best solution.

#3 Autarkis02

Autarkis02

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:56 PM

My thoughts on it was so that you could independently use each when you're actually using them for mechanical work.  Lifting the side of a rhino with one, and prying open an armor plate with the other.  The explanation of why they have so much "Weaponry" is that it's not actually weaponry; instead it has equipment that can act as weaponry.  It's supposed to be an amazing tool for the super-mechanics of the Space Marines to take care of their equipment.  It just so happens they're useful for beating things cause they're also heavy arms.

As far as the actual rules, you can make as any attacks as you normally could, plus use your reaction to make an attack with one limb.  Even if you had 30 arms, you still get your one swing of the axe, plus any extras for talents.

That's my understanding.

Also, I was pretty sure in Dark Heresy that you could use your reaction to make one attack with a mechadendrite.  So unless you get multiple reactions that can be used for anything, you still only fire 1 shot or take 1 swing.

#4 qcipher

qcipher

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:52 AM

The main issue one of my players (the Techmarine) had was that he can get the Servo Harness, but not Dual Weapon or Swift attack, and I have no idea if they can buy the Multiple Arms trait.  So it seems it doesn't have much more combat viability as a regular servo arm.  That just leaves becoming a Deathwatch Champion maybe, or Elite advances, which as the GM I'm not so keen on providing without a pretty good reason.

For some reason two of the players are trying to out Assault the Assault Marine (Techmarine and Librarian).  They can mainly do it so far because the Assault marine typically rolls so bad.

#5 Autarkis02

Autarkis02

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 02:22 AM

As far as "not much more combat viability," it has the extra limbs which elite advances can use, and it also gives him an addition flamethrower and a plasma pistol.  At the DM's discretion it can have several other useful tools, the book says the flamer and plasma are the minimum requirements.  It's not supposed to replace the assault marine, but add more versatility and tech stuff to the techmarine.  But techmarines aren't Doc Octopus.

#6 Victris

Victris

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:38 AM

Im in an argument at the moment with one of my players over this very issue. The servo arm is an incredibly nasty melee weapon on a character that is not supossed to be the main melee DPS. It also isnt a dedicated melee weapon it is is a tool that can be used to SMASH!!! This is my ruling :- The Techy gets one standard attack as do all characters this can be a normal attack or the servo arm. A character cannot take the same half action twice so therefore will not get a second attack that round.

If The character has any swift attack tallent they may attack twice as a full action with ONE weapon(with the servo arm if so desired).

If the character has 2 weapon fighting they may attack as full action with two DIFFERENT weapons. The rules talk about hands in this case but im prepared to let that count the servo arm(dont forget the negatives for this and that swift attack still effects one weapon).

These two talents are the only way a character can use the multiple attacks action. And therefore gain 2/3 attacks in a round.

So thats it. One attack with arm or weapon. Dont feel hard done by cos the Techy's are the only specialaty that gets an attack as a reaction that will one shot most reasonable bad guys!! Thats a pretty good ability in my book.

Dont forget all you GM's out there a reaction can only be made in resonse to a provocation. The character must be attacked before he can react!!!!

Thats how im gonna play it and i think thats fair to all my players. If anyone can challenge this with a book ruling ive missed or treats the situation differently please speak up.

The Emperor Protects

#7 Autarkis02

Autarkis02

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:06 AM

The solution I've found that I like best for that is to keep it like the RAW.  The balance between that and swift attack doesn't come into play when wading through ork grunts, but when fighting Nobs.  I give orks unnatural strength/toughness (at least the Nobs).  So when a Nob is swinging around a big two handed chain axe, all of a sudden a tradeoff in melee for a chance to parry becomes a big thing.  The assault marine isn't slowed down and still evades, where the techmarine either hurts or gets clocked by a raging Nob.  So far I've enjoyed how that works, its just a matter of where each is useful.  Assault marines shine more as whatever they fight gets bigger.

#8 Terraneaux

Terraneaux

• Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:34 PM

qcipher said:

The main issue one of my players (the Techmarine) had was that he can get the Servo Harness, but not Dual Weapon or Swift attack, and I have no idea if they can buy the Multiple Arms trait.  So it seems it doesn't have much more combat viability as a regular servo arm.

Dual Weapon Wielder is in the general Space Marine advances with the errata.

#9 Stormast

Stormast

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:02 PM

...At rank 7.

At that moment, you have much more in mind than just gaining an extra attack, although it's cool.

And much before that, you have the Deathwatch Champion Advanced Specialty which allows a Techmarine to get a whole lot of nice melee Talents.

#10 Victris

Victris

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:02 PM

Any tech worth his salt will be going for Forge Master surely.

Ive been using the rules as I posted and it works really well. All my players are happy and the game is balanced with each PC fulfiling the role we feel they should be fulfiling. The tech has actually been finding dodges and parrys far more useful than attacking with his reaction. I think when he becomes able to use a servo harness I might allow the 2 weapon or swift attack talent as a n elite advance. Im honestley trying to guide him towards a ranged role with the added responsibility of being the groups repair guy. Its amazing how much fighting Tyranids reduces a Marines armour points.

The only problem I have now is that he wants a servo harness fitted with a breaching auger and a set of bulkhead shears!!!!! You dont want him having two weapon attack talents with those weapons cos there would be no point in any other players showing up. :)

#11 Stormast

Stormast

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:25 PM

Forge Master really isn't vital for a Tech. Although thematically it's cool, the only real benefit is that you get to pay around 400 xp for a "fun but really not game-changing" ability.

Then again i'm only speaking from a gameplay perspective ;) Of course my Tech will want to be Forge Master, but that's mechanically weak compared to Champion, especially for a Tech. The Tech is one of the specialties that benefits the most from getting DW Champion: you get all those nasty melee Talents you lacked of, making you a genuine melee monster (you could even think about topping AMs with your crazy toughness and armor now...).

#12 technomarkus

technomarkus

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:45 AM

The work around I used (which does not require elite advances or GM permission) that you can start with at lv 1 is to be either a dark angel or space wolf, then take the Ritual Duel fighter Chapter deed (on page 77 of rites of battle) for 300 XP.   If you do you will gain Swift Attack.  If you choose Space wolf you will also get the counter attack talent, that way you dont have to waste a reaction as an attack you can parry and counter attack all at lv 1.

#13 schreier

schreier

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:20 AM

How agile are servo-arms?  I haven't seen it specifically addressed .... I know not fine manipulation obviously, but could you effectively "monkey bar" using rafters or something?  Could you climb up a steel girder?

#14 technomarkus

technomarkus

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:39 PM

Yes they aid in climbing and you could use them for the climb skill (75 strength check) if you wanted.   You can pick up a hum-V as a free action with one, so dexterity should not be a problem.

#15 Cujo999

Cujo999

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:45 PM

A player would have to give me a really good reason as to why a Techmarine would be fighting in a Ritual Dual Fight that is traditionally fought unarmed,and even then I would probably tell them no. 

#16 technomarkus

technomarkus

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:48 PM

The ritual duel has nothing to do with class it has to do with your background.    Dark angels and Sapce Wolves fight.  It is a ritualistic duel fought either unarmed or with swords, and no matter who wins the duel itself is considered a good omen for everyone.    If you read the history it makes perfect sense.  Also note that a tech marine is not a tech priest.  Soldiery and brotherhood comes first.  Tech is second, at least at the start of his career when this deed applies.

#17 Cujo999

Cujo999

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:36 PM

Correct,the Ritual Duel Fight represents the character's background,not his class.  Techmarines spend years on Mars learning about the secrets of the Machine Spirits,so it makes little sense for the defining moment of the character's prelude into the Deathwatch to be a Ritual Duel. 

The duel is fought when the two sides first meet in a region or warzone.  It makes little sense for either side's commanding officer to select a Techmarine for the duel,and the oppossing side would likely object to the selection of a combatant that could easily lose their cool and squish the other with their Servo Arm before anyone can intervene.  Not to mention that the CO is going to risk injuring a rare resource such as a Techmarine in the duel when he likely has a plethora of willing Tactical and Assault Marines to choose from.  Also,while Techmarines are bound by blood to their Chapter,they are bound in mind and spirit to the Mechanicus Omnissiah,and they are treated with suspicion by their Chapters when they return from Mars.  If you don't trust someone,then why would you choose them to uphold your chapter's honor when you have plenty of other,better qualified,individuals to choose from?

#18 aussieyobbo

aussieyobbo

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:39 PM

space wolf techmarine, replacing arm with a breaching auger (even with erattta damage) as signature wargear (master) +20 TO HIT, add chain sword in of hand for parrying and use of conter attack, and flesh render (from eratta) and you have one extremely nasty hard to damage marine. add deathwatch champion to gain access to swift and lightning attack (well overpriced 7500xp for class and talents) but makes a messy combatant

#19 herichimo

herichimo

• Members
  • 935 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:33 AM

aussieyobbo said:

space wolf techmarine, replacing arm with a breaching auger (even with erattta damage) as signature wargear (master) +20 TO HIT, add chain sword in of hand for parrying and use of conter attack, and flesh render (from eratta) and you have one extremely nasty hard to damage marine. add deathwatch champion to gain access to swift and lightning attack (well overpriced 7500xp for class and talents) but makes a messy combatant

WARNING: Necro posting for shameless plugging detected.

While what you've posted is possibly legal, I'd prefer it if you wouldn't promote munchkining here as the intent of this game (and any rpg for that matter) is roleplaying. Not min/maxing.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS