Best LCG for 2 players

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 SolennelBern

SolennelBern

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 03:57 AM

Hey all! Looking to get into LCG and i'm looking at the coolest, most fun, addictive LCG out there!

The ones i'm contemplating are:

- Warhammer Invasion

- Call of Cthulhu

- A game of Thrones

I'm leaning toward Warhammer Invasion because I simply love the setting.  But i'm 100% open for suggestions and would like to buy the best LCG out there for 2 players.

Thanks!

#2 Mestrahd

Mestrahd

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 06:07 AM

When I was looking for the same advice, I got alot of Game of Thrones picks. But it seems to me that game would be more interesting with 3-4 players. Warhammer seems to be designed for 2 players although some of the templating indicates you can have more. I think Cthulhu is also designed for 2 players, although I could be wrong. I, myself went with Warhammer Invasion since I don't have the players I thought necessary for AGOT.

#3 mischraum.de

mischraum.de

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:22 PM

The game with the most strategic depth is Game of Thrones. And I am talking about 2 player here. You don't need more players for AGOT. And playing AGOT with more than two players results almost in a totally different game. So 2-player AGOT is fine and the game was designed for 2 players right from the beginning.

Cthulhu is also a very good 2-player experience. I think Game of Thrones is slightly better but if you like the setting of Call of Cthulhu more than just go for it.

I'd say Warhammer is okay, I also played it for a while but the other two just seem better to me.

Travelling for LCG tournaments: Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Gen Con, Genoa, Göteborg, Liege, Salzburg
Next destination: Make a suggestion!

#4 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,255 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 05:04 AM

AGoT is awesome 2 player and up. Lots of depth and strategy.

Warhammer gets old pretty fast. We dropped it completely over a year ago.

#5 Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr

• Members
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:46 AM

Mestrahd said:

When I was looking for the same advice, I got alot of Game of Thrones picks. But it seems to me that game would be more interesting with 3-4 players.

I've started with AGoT last September, have spent an insane amount of my free time with the game since then, and I completely and utterly disagree with the above statement. Although I really like the multiplayer variant of the game, I vastly prefer the 2-player game, and so do the majority of players I've heard speak about the issue. To me, the game is simply perfect for 2 players.

#6 The_Big_Show

The_Big_Show

• Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:42 AM

My experience with AGoT is that it works best with 3-5 players. It's often too one sided in a two player game. 

Warhammer Invasion and Call of Cthulhu are both excellent games, but I'd say CoC is the best of them all.

#7 mischraum.de

mischraum.de

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:51 AM

The_Big_Show said:

My experience with AGoT is that it works best with 3-5 players. It's often too one sided in a two player game.

But doesn't that depend on who plays vs. whom?

Doesn't this show the game depends on your deck building and playing skills? 

Travelling for LCG tournaments: Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Gen Con, Genoa, Göteborg, Liege, Salzburg
Next destination: Make a suggestion!

#8 The_Big_Show

The_Big_Show

• Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:47 PM

mischraum.de said:

The_Big_Show said:

But doesn't that depend on who plays vs. whom?

Doesn't this show the game depends on your deck building and playing skills? 

I wish that was the case. In three years of playing AGoT I've never found a satisfactory 2-player game. Whoever gets off first wins 9 times out of 10. I've seen that against people with great decks and experience who should have one but because their opponent got going first they won.

#9 Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr

• Members
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:21 PM

The_Big_Show said:

I wish that was the case. In three years of playing AGoT I've never found a satisfactory 2-player game. Whoever gets off first wins 9 times out of 10. I've seen that against people with great decks and experience who should have one but because their opponent got going first they won.

Well, our experiences differ then. Certainly, a fast start is highly advantageous in this game, and games can be virtually decided in the first round, so one's deckbuilding should reflect that. There are mechanisms that can turn a game around, though, to an extent. Of course, a good player with a good deck and a lucky starting hand will probably not lose against an equally good player with an equally good deck and an unlucky starting hand. Luck of draw is necessarily a part of every card game, and I don't feel it plays an unduly big role in this one.

I've played roughly a hundred 2-player games since I got the game. There were games with and against any of the houses, with and against all kinds of deck types. Some games were short, some were long. Some were tight, some were lopsided. Some were virtually decided early on, some had a swing. Some were a tad predictable, some were full of surprises, and some were downright epic. But I can safely claim that not one of them has been anything less than satisfactory. Well, except the one that I had to concede early on because I realized I had foolishly forgotten to include one vital plot card. I still take that record anytime, although your and anybody else's mileage may vary, of course.

#10 dboeren

dboeren

• Members
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 04:25 AM

I'd vote for Call of Cthulhu.  It's designed just for 2-player, the others are not.  Plus I find the theme to be much more interesting anyway ;)

#11 evilidler

evilidler

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:11 AM

If you want easy to learn, it doesn't get easier than Warhammer:Invasion. But my favourite is Call of Cthulhu. After inspecting my cards (got everything before the Silver Twilight releases, catching up) I find that I have enough diversity among them to create many fun decks for friendly play. I try to balance things a bit so there's not one überdeck to beat them all.

Warning: The core set is never enough. Not just for addictive reasons, but it just feels a bit thin in the variation department. At least one deluxe expansion and one full cycle of decks should give you enough to play with for much longer, though.

#12 Ryan the Lion

Ryan the Lion

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:36 AM

I'd check out FFG's video tutorials for each game.  They do a good job of walking players through a turn step-by-step.  From there, you'll get to see how the major mechanics of a given game work as well as see a whole mess of different cards.  I had absolutely no interest in the Lord of the Rings LCG until I heard from my FLGS that it was selling like gangbusters.  I gave the tutorial a videos a shot and was very impressed.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS