new to LCG format need help.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 warpi9

warpi9

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:42 AM

I basically have one question, does every LCG game require every player to buy cards or can one player buy the sets?

I was looking at Game of Thrones, or Cthuhlu but I know my friends will not buy any cards.

#2 warpi9

warpi9

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:46 AM

ok so apparently no one knows.

#3 Mestrahd

Mestrahd

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:18 PM

Lol. You only gave it one day before giving up? This forum clearly is not checked as frequently by anyone.

Anyway, I would say it'd be fine if you are the only purchaser. They give you enough cards in each Core set to make starters for at least 4 players. I've bought LOTR and WI and I'm the only person pitching in and we have no trouble distributing/sharing cards.

#4 Darksbane

Darksbane

• Members
  • 620 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 01:33 PM

Yeah this forum is alittle slow. Anyway the core sets for all 4 LCGs have enough to play with at least 2 players. If you buy cards beyond the core set you should have no problem with any of the games creating 3 or 4 decks.

Cardgamedb.com - The source for Game of Thrones, Star Wars, Android: Netrunner, Lord of the Rings, Call of Cthulhu, and Warhammer: Invasion deckbuilders and spoilers. Now with 100% more FFG!

#5 warpi9

warpi9

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 01:45 AM

So basically 1 person buys (or can buy) all of the cards and makes decks for everyone???

#6 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 05:05 AM

I buy all of our cards. Friends have only bought a core set and deluxe expansion or two. I have bought every pack, and box for AGoT and own every card for it.

#7 Darksbane

Darksbane

• Members
  • 620 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:38 AM

warpi9 said:

So basically 1 person buys (or can buy) all of the cards and makes decks for everyone???

Basically, yes. Although you might have a problem if say you want to build 2 decks of the same faction/theme but otherwise you should have no problem creating at least 5 or 6 decks if you are buying all the cards.

Cardgamedb.com - The source for Game of Thrones, Star Wars, Android: Netrunner, Lord of the Rings, Call of Cthulhu, and Warhammer: Invasion deckbuilders and spoilers. Now with 100% more FFG!

#8 Ryan the Lion

Ryan the Lion

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:39 AM

A friend of mine has been steadily collecting Warhammer: Invasion for a while now and he's always more than happy to bust out his set for people to play with.  At this point he has enough cards to build decks for each faction, but runs into trouble with having enough resource/damage markers to keep mutliple games going at once.

Bottom line?  If you're going to be collecting all the cards for a given LCG with the goal of setting up a group to play regularly, you'll probably need to go a little further than the core sets and expansion packs.

#9 dboeren

dboeren

• Members
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:34 AM

warpi9 said:

I basically have one question, does every LCG game require every player to buy cards or can one player buy the sets? 

I was looking at Game of Thrones, or Cthuhlu but I know my friends will not buy any cards.

Then, haven't you already answered your own question?

It doesn't matter who buys the cards, it only matters what cards you have available to build decks from.  If one guy wants to buy them, that works.  If individual players want to buy them, that works.  If you buy them together and split the cards by faction, that works.  None of it matters though, the deck has no concept of who bought each individual card.

At some point, you may have to worry about collisions.  What if you have 3 copies of card X and multiple people want to put it in their deck?  When this comes up, you'll need a way to resolve it - or encourage people to chip in and help buy more cards to avoid the situation.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS