• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mattr0polis

Mattr0polis

• Members
  • 818 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 07:21 AM

Hello,

Ok so this game has interested me for a while, but I waited on picking it up because it seemed awfully similar to the Battlestar Galactica board game that also just recently came out.

After playing BSG for a while, I have to say that it is probably my new favorite board game. I doubt anything will be as fun as that, but I am still always interested in learning new games.

So, how does it compare to BSG?

Also, why is the board so dang small?

#2 Zion

Zion

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 12:50 AM

Haven´t played the BSG (I read the rules only), but the biggest difference will be the overall feel of the game: in BSG you are saving a nation, in RN it is a bunch of drunk gnomes on a mulfunctioning sub. So whereas there are intrigues in BSG (the cylon player popping-up sooner or later), it´s all about fun on board the sub. And the board size also reflects it... RN is a game that fits into your pocket and you can take it to a party or in a pub (if you go out with the right people, that is).

#3 JerusalemJones

JerusalemJones

• Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 06:07 AM

Red November is much faster than BSG, and you are fighting against the ship and your own foolishness, and not against a traitor. I wouldn't really call the games similar -- RN is quick, quirky and silly, but fun. It takes maybe 30 minutes to play a game--well, a 3 player game at least, maybe slightly longer with more players. The small board size is annoying, but at the same time it doesn't need to be any bigger.

It takes a few games to get all the rules down pat -- "token" actions vs. normal actions tripped us up at first, and the rules for dying, and inebriated gnomes only draw for passing out the turn they become inebriated. But a fun "grog and pretzels" game.

#4 Torbal

Torbal

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:46 AM

The likely reason the Red November board is so small is that this is a Silver Line game, and meant to be economically priced. But  from what I've read there is a lot more game to this one than most of the others in the Silver Line category. A bigger board and spiffier components would mean a higher price.

As a side note, the wife and I will be playing two older Silver Line games tonight, Kingdoms and Magdar. Life can be good at times...

#5 Iron_Lord

Iron_Lord

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 11:00 PM

In my point of view, these two games have one striking similarity: they are quite hard to win for the "good guys". Our score with BSG is Cylons 8 and Humans 1; our score with Red November is Subs sunk 5 and Subs saved 1

#6 darkstar89sk

darkstar89sk

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 06:19 PM

I have really enjoyed both games. I think the main similarity is their is a lot of disasters you are suppose to work together to overcome. In Red November as stated in a previous post you don't have to deal with a traitor or have skill specific characters. Red November is definitely faster paced and has some better humor in it and definitely worth the price of it.

#7 spirit

spirit

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:12 AM

The games are nothing like each other at all in terms of the way they play, feel and in the way people interact. I wouldn't even put them up for comparison they are so different. I really enjoy both games but they fulfill different needs. 

#8 Skowza

Skowza

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 05:45 PM

I haven't tried this yet (cause I can't find anyone who wants to play) but it looks a lot more family-friendly, non-gamer oriented (not that theres anything wrong with that).  It also looks quite a bit less complicated than BSG... would I be better off trying to get my gamer friends to play this, or some of the non-gamers that prefer things like Citadels, Ingenious, Carcassonne etc?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS