The Value of Necromancy?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 karat

karat

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:35 AM

I've never quite grasped how necromancy could be useful.  Since you have to pay the full costs, then you're not saving any resources.  I suppose it saves you card draws, but not having enough cards is rarely my limiting factor (what I put in to defend the quest zone usually gives me enough cards).  Also, I suppose you could put in fewer units overall and have more space for tactics.  Still, having the unit disappear at the end of the round is a pretty hefty price to pay that doesn't seem to outweigh the (minor) advantages.

Still, people do seem to like it, so I figure I'm missing something.  Why do people like necromancy?

#2 Vitamin T

Vitamin T

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:01 AM

Necromancy units with come into play effects like 'Wight Lord' can be very good as you can use their effect again if they are killed.  Necromancy can also be useful if you have something to sacrifice the unit to (like 'slave pens') as you will always have a unit that you can play from your discard pile.  In theory it could also be good if you were discarding cards for some other benefit (muck maybe).

TL

#3 Ileopsoas

Ileopsoas

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:24 AM

lobber crew its' de-va-sta-ting with necromacy!

#4 karat

karat

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:44 AM

I see.  So people are using necromancy as a way around the 3 copy of a card limitation?  That is, you can play a card more than 3 times that way.  Otherwise, it is the same advantage as I described above -- you get access to more units to play, so you can shift more units from your quest zone to your kingdom zone.

#5 Mestrahd

Mestrahd

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 04:07 AM

Is Necromancy Capital Phase only, or is it considered an action that you can pay for whenever you have the resources?

#6 Vitamin T

Vitamin T

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:12 AM

It lets you play the card like it was in your hand.  So in general yeah you can only use it during capital phase.

#7 Mestrahd

Mestrahd

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:39 AM

Ok thanks. I had seen posts of people using Necromancy to put units in KZ or QZ. I guess only the Wight Lord would really help you there if you needed to target a specific unit. Since it is Capital Phase, you clearly are not getting their power bonus.

#8 ivory_tower

ivory_tower

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:35 PM

I  made a deck using Countess Iseara, Doombull, Lobber Crew, Snotling Sabotuers and Swarm of bats. It's nasty.  With Swarm of Bats to get them into the graveyard and Countess to bring them back, it's neverending support and unit destruction.   Necromancy is definitley useful.

#9 Nate Holmes

Nate Holmes

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 11:22 AM

Recusion is a pretty powerful mechanic no matter what game you are playing.

Anything that triggers from entering play obviously increases in value if you can recur it into play mulitple times.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS