So, you wanna play a Nurgler?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Lord Ork

Lord Ork

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:57 PM

Although I see mostly game masters by here, this is a question for players.

If you had to do your first BC character to play a game. How many of you would take a Nurgle follower?

I can imagine lots of Khornates (fighting is cool), some Tzeenchers (power is cool), some Slaaneshites (sensuality is cool). But, who would like to play his first game with a purulent infectious boy?

I think if I played several games, I would take a follower of Nurgle just to try something weird, but it would be possibly my last preference.

#2 Stormast

Stormast

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:11 PM

I wouldn't say it comes last for me.

First thing is Alpha Legionnaire, though. Too awesome to pass by.

Then...Well as you said Tzeentch. Being random is cool.

Then I'd try Nurgle. A nurglist doctor. Doctor Frank Einstein, I presume ;)

Slanesh and Khorne feel a bit too "obvious" to me. Though they're cool, too.

#3 MKX

MKX

• Members
  • 914 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:38 PM

Could be something akin to a "Typhoid Mary", just wandering around doing your own stuff, millions die of the horrible fevers and pox around you.

To some extent, it sounds almost like you can go the whole focused to one god, chaos undivided or bits of two or three taking what you want from them. Think we've already got someone signing up to be the slaanesh follower, being the GM I'm thinking about giving him some Super-AIDS... the gift that can keep on giving :D

#4 Karmadef

Karmadef

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 12:25 AM

You can't see the appeal of playing yhe unstopable inevitaabilty of death? The guy you just shot with a lascannon and is barley scratched? Who you can't get within 10 feet of without being overcome by some sort of horrible disease? And thats just if your going for a combat monster type.

#5 Lord Ork

Lord Ork

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 01:49 AM

I think that character would be cool as an enemy, but playing a rotting infectious body certainly have not much appeal for me, even if it is an unstoppable warrior.

Anyway, few are answering my question: for any of you would a nurgler be your first option? I really have this curiosity.

#6 Stormast

Stormast

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:14 AM

It really depends on the group, I'd have to say.

For example, the Alpha Legionnaire can't be played in any context. The Tzeentch guy can be cool, but I'd rather play it with people I know and who know me, so that they don't get too pissed if I sextuple-cross them ;)

If those requirements are not met, Doctor Frank Einstein could be my PC of choice.

#7 Karmadef

Karmadef

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:16 AM

Yes a nurgle worshiper would be my first choice, I have a soft spot for the rotting man from TT anyway. Endurance above all else interests me more than pride, perfection and power. Non-CSM version would definatley be someone weakened by disease in the past turning to the Plauge Father to grant him strength from it rather than weakness. If possible.

#8 bmaynard

bmaynard

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:39 AM

(sung to the tune of the Dreidel song)

I give my self to chaos
and the herald of dismay.
For in the name of Nurgle
I will spread disease and slay.

Nurgle! Nurgle! Nurgle!
In his Garden I will play.
Nurgle! Nurgle! Nurgle!
He's the Lord of all Decay.

I ride for Stinky.

And to repost my character idea from the "Which chaos power are you itching to pledge yourself to" thread:

Meanwhile... On a planet near the border of Imperial Space

Calvern - The mildly gassy

Follower of Nurgie, He who Plants.
Also referred to as the Beanfather, lord of the flatulent.

#9 Bilateralrope

Bilateralrope

• Members
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:44 AM

Nurgle loves me, this I know.

Because the voices tell me so.

A nurgle follower could be quite fun to play. Always happy, enjoying himself, a bit of a hippy, and willing to give gifts to anyone who he thinks could use them. Even if giving the gift means a bit of self sacrifice, such as giving a loaded gun to someone who just emptied their gun shooting at him.

#10 Argus Van Het

Argus Van Het

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 03:11 AM

I would really love to be able to paste text here...

Anyway, go to games workshop and look for Fabius Vile. Nurgle is not all about death, putrefaction and rotting.

As for me, it would depend on what the rest of the group would prefer to make themselves.

#11 bmaynard

bmaynard

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 03:45 AM

Are you talking about Fabius Bile?

This guy:

He's actually undivided.

Now, if you've found someone named Fabius Vile, that sounds interesting and I'd love to check him out.

#12 Sean Miller

Sean Miller

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 06:47 AM

a nurgle fallower to me would e more easy going and philisophical then outright evil to me sort of like a chaotic medium

#13 AkumaKorgar

AkumaKorgar

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:03 PM

I'm an Iron Warrior at heart, and Nurgle worshippers make great Iron Warriors. Nobody holds a bunker better than Plague Marines, and Warriors with a Mark of Nurgle are good at clearing trenches. Not to mention the whole plague warfare aspect of sieges...

#14 Ravager

Ravager

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:01 PM

Why not play as a follower of Nurgle?  The obvious advantage of being nearly impervious to damage is needed considering it wont be to long before someone wearing power armor comes and kicks in your door.  Aside from that Nurgle is a good option since the perks you can get are more unique than with say Khorne or Tzeentch.  On top of that Papa Nurgle doesn't tend to have his followers killing each other every time you turn around.  Come on can you really trust Tzeentch to not screw you over?  Eventually one of your fellow Khornate 'buddies' is going to come for your head, and being a Slaaneshi you have an insane chance of dying from any number of STDs or from an overdose of cocaine.  Im a cultist after all, we sort of die in the hundreds of thousands.  So if I have a choice I am going to go with the guy that has at least a little interest in my health... so to speak.

#15 msears

msears

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:07 AM

What, you don't want a perpetually running nose?

#16 Kerrik

Kerrik

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 12:37 PM

A willing plague carrier for the Vile Savants would be epic.

Unscathed by disease and infection, but causing untold death and damage to everyone and everything around you, at all times..

Also, you would basically be a walking zombie factory.

#17 Decessor

Decessor

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 12:33 AM

A follower of nurgle isn't necessarily a pus-ridden walking corpse, at least not from day one. I think people forget that nurgle worshippers can have variances in attitude and their exact method of following nurgle, just like the worshippers of the other chaos powers. A grim mercenary who just wants to get through the nightmare of existence. A young, cheerful psyker who won't be caught by those evil men in the black ship.

I'm getting to play a crusade-era Alpha Legionnaire tactical marine (with 1.5k xp spent on the Dark Heresy scum class) so getting that concept played out.

For black crusade, I'm thinking a charismatic heretic who may or may not be a space marine. Probably chaos undivided but...

Preaching to crowds about doom and destruction but there is hope! The god and father figure will save us all! Offer worship and be strong in your faith!

#18 Hardrainfalling

Hardrainfalling

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:56 PM

nurgle will be my first choice i love the humour of papa nurgle combined with extreme ichyness ,  experimenting with new plagues and diseases and using them to spread the word and infection across the galaxy :)

#19 Polaria

Polaria

• Members
  • 734 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 06:02 AM

Stormast said:

Then...Well as you said Tzeentch. Being random is cool.

Then I'd try Nurgle. A nurglist doctor. Doctor Frank Einstein, I presume ;)

Slanesh and Khorne feel a bit too "obvious" to me. Though they're cool, too.

I don't think any of the Chaos gods is "obvious" if you don't insist on making them so... I'll give a few examples:

Imperial Cleric who wanted to be perfect in his worship of the Imperial Creed... Except perfection is pretty damn hard to achieve, especially in faith as multi-faceted as Imperial Creed is. But hey, don't worry, we in Slaanesh cult know ALL about perfection... We can make it happen ;)

Adept of Administratum who is very competitive, always trying to be the best in his office, winning everyone else in speed and accuracy of his work. When he can't quite seem to get above his peers he asks Slaanesh for help to perfect his working methods... or, starts to ask hep from Khorne in methodically wiping out the competition.

Oh there are so many wonderfull ways to be corrupted... No need to go with the stereotypical "Khorne Psychopath Pirate", "Slaaneshi Drug-Addicted Nymphomaniac", "Tzeetch Meddling Sorcerer" and "Nurgle Deathguard Zombie" concepts...

#20 Bilateralrope

Bilateralrope

• Members
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:08 AM

Polaria said:

Imperial Cleric who wanted to be perfect in his worship of the Imperial Creed... Except perfection is pretty damn hard to achieve, especially in faith as multi-faceted as Imperial Creed is. But hey, don't worry, we in Slaanesh cult know ALL about perfection... We can make it happen ;)

Or you have some devout person who carves statues of various holy figures. But they don't come out right, so he seeks help. Since Slaanesh covers perfection, he gets pulled into that. As his renown increases, he gets asked to build them in more high profile places. Which is helpful because, since Slaanesh is also the god of excess, he is wanting to make them bigger.

Next thing you know, he's trying to carve a planet into the shape of The Emperors head.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS