Rogue Trader music!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Svarte Hanske

Svarte Hanske

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:27 PM

I've been looking for possible music to play while gaming RT, and for now I found that MUSE "Black Holes and Revelations" album from 2006 is pretty good for this. 

The music video of "Knights of Cydonia" is an insane collection of western + kung fu + future tech. And the title "Black Holes and Revelations" makes me think about chaos, the processional of the damned and similar.

Also trying out Smashing Pumpkins "Machina/ the machines of God", since it is kind of creepy here and there.

Post your RT music! :)

#2 Errant

Errant

• Members
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:46 PM

If someone tried to play music like that as background in a game I'd have to gouge out their eyes.

#3 Svarte Hanske

Svarte Hanske

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:46 PM

Okay, does your friends wear armour when they meet you? Would you like to talk about your aggressive behaviour? 

Instead of coming with threats I would rather see you post music that you could conceivably listen too in a RT-game without gouging out eyes OR music that inspires you, making you think about interesting concepts in RT.

#4 Iku Rex

Iku Rex

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 12:50 AM

Vaguely similar thread:

www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp 

#5 Lynata

Lynata

• Members
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 05:33 AM

Samsara Project

/thread :P

#6 Dark Caesar

Dark Caesar

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 03:23 AM

Grand Funk Railroad - I'm your Captain

although I would think a game like RT would need music that has no words in it or it would be too distracting during the game

#7 TheMadGM

TheMadGM

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 03:34 AM

two steps from hell - to glory

This has practically been the theme song to my game. 40k may be dark, but my players are epic trailblazers, by God.

#8 vastrix

vastrix

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 05:35 PM

Monster Magnet - "Goliath and the Vampires"

Anything Rhapsody of Fire

There was a band called Dragonfire I think...I forget the name exactly.

Video Game remixes! Castlevania! Final Fantasy! Dynasty Warriors! 

#9 Zakalwe

Zakalwe

• Members
  • 531 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:31 PM

For Rogue Trader, Wagner's Ridge of the Valkires seems a great place to start for space battles, orbital insertions/bombardments, and armoured columns moving across plains. It may be a cliche, but it is cliche for a reason.

A recent and very good release that lends itself to sci fi gaming is the Tron soundtrack by Daft Punk.

For something a bit off-beat (and scary as all get out) check out the monster industrial soundtrack to the crazy Japanese movie 'Tetsuo the Iron Man'.

A UK DJ called Luke Slater used to put out some great ambient Techno under the name 'Planetary Assault Systems' which is very atmospheric and great for exploration in the unknown.

And can I say 'Darth Vader' here?  If so then 'Darth Vader's Theme' for inspecting the troops, or during a grand entrance.

#10 Etaren

Etaren

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:10 AM

I use Lustmord - www.lustmord.com/ and the soundtrack from Gears of War and Gears of War 2. Lustmord is good for the creepy, scary, silent moments and the Gears of War soundtrack(s) is perfect for ground combat, space combat or just hectic situations.

Using it together with www.stefanisberg.com/mutant/Mixer_eng.html (Sound mixer), great tool!

#11 Svarte Hanske

Svarte Hanske

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:16 AM

Oh lord, that Lustmord is freaky stuff! Love it! :D

#12 Wet Pirate

Wet Pirate

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:55 AM

I like ambient dark or black metal, like Alerseeleen, Arcturus (match perfect to me), Jesu, maybe Corvus Corax (eletronic mixed with medieval compositions), to the baroque setting of The Emperium i like Jordi Savall, real baroque, the soundtrack of The Mission film, can be nice for a religious and sad climax, like the film.

Arcturus - The Chaos Path on Youtube

#13 Lyinar

Lyinar

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 02:48 AM

I'm of the opinion  that the Battlestar Galactica remake's soundtrack has a suitably 40k feel to it for background music during a gaming session, and it's less distracting than songs which have lyrics.

#14 Blue-Latex

Blue-Latex

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:22 PM

I use a lot of Murcof or Krzysztof Penderecki. Latter is especially good for warp travels or for building eerie atmosphere. Both can be found on Youtube.

#15 Arnu

Arnu

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 02:40 PM

If you want some epic music then the sound tracks from Babylon 5 would go nicely.  Also with sound track 2001 a space odessey could be very at atmospheric.

If you want something chaotic then Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds From Her to Etermity would be a great piece of music.

If you are dealing with the Ecclesiarchy then Gregorian Chants would set the mood perfectly.

There is a piece of music used for the theme tune for the BBC radio comedy Old Harry's Game that would work nicely if you needed something sinister.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS