Re-vamp-ed?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 jadrax

jadrax

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 02:50 PM

Is this version of the game much changed from the original version?

#2 ColtsFan76

ColtsFan76

Rules Guru

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:27 AM

I am fairly certain that it is.  I didn't play the original but it has its own entry over at BGG.  That usually indicates its more than a mere facelift.

#3 jadrax

jadrax

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 05:38 AM

Thanks!

I suppose that leads on to an obvious next question of, 'Does anyone know what has changed?'

#4 Overture

Overture

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 05:52 AM

The way that Dracula moves I think is the biggest change. Now instead of writing down his movements along with placed traps, he has a deck of location cards that he lays out in order representing his trail. Each location has only one card and once placed facedown on the trail, dracula won't be able to return to that location again until the card drops off his trail (with rare power cards twisting these rules, mostly only playable at night ) Cards drop off Dracula's trail once it reaches a certain length, representing the clues fading away, and Dracula is able to return to that location again in the future. When a Hunter enters a location that is in Dracula's trail, the appropriate card is turned face-up, allowing the hunters to puzzle out how far away Dracula is.There are other ways to reveal trail cards, and the mechanic as a whole is a nice way to stop Dracula running in circles constantly.

Next biggest change is that combat is driven by item cards that players play against each other with a dice roll determining whose item gets to strike. If your card wins, you look for the name of the card your opponant played on your item to see what damage you do. It's pretty much like the previous chart to refer to, while sliding in a nice random factor, with some weapons trumping others depending on your foe.

Also John Harker is no longer an investigator, instead replaced by the lovely Mina, but Mr.Harker can still make his presence known in an ally card that pops up from time to time.

I'm not sure if that's all the changes, but those are the ones I remember. But I do have to also say that the game pieces and board are very well made and nice to look at and that all round it remains an extremely fun game to play.

#5 evilone

evilone

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 08:56 AM

Another important way the game has changed is that there is no player elimination, which when playing a 2-3 hour game is a big bummer to be eliminated during the first 20 minutes (which was possible in the original incarnation of the game).  Player elimination is replaced by "Hunter Defeat", which causes various unfortunate things to occur for that particular Hunter (they go to the Hospital, they lose a turn, etc.), but they can easily bounce back. 

Overall, this good game of the late 80s has become a GREAT GAME of the neo-modern boardgaming era!  Truly this is a wonderful, deduction-driven, highly-thematic gaming experience.  It is a great semi-cooperative game, based played with 5 players (Dracula plus 4 Hunter players), though playing with 4, 3, or even 2 players is much fun as well.

Here are two links on BGG to summaries of the differences between the two versions:
         1. http://www.boardgame...om/thread/93832
         2.http://www.boardgame...m/thread/100144

NOTE: I disagree strongly with the conclusion in the 2nd article above (i.e. the game is too luck based and doesn't have enough strategy -- in fact it is just the opposite, IMHO), but the author summarizes the differences between the original 1987 version and this new greatly updated and modernized version.

#6 jadrax

jadrax

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 01:47 PM

Well thouse changes seem quite encouraging, I must admit me and my friends found the old version a little tedius last time we played it a couple of years ago, and I was wondering if this version had improved things. I may well pick it up.

#7 moekel

moekel

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 01:40 AM

go pick it up you will not regrett it. definately an improvemwnt over the original (imho, but someone will likely disagree)!

#8 Ruvion

Ruvion

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 06:14 AM

Have not played the original but definitely worthwhile to pickup. It scales well from 2-5 players too IMO...though it seems a lot of people prefer it with just two.

#9 The GIT!

The GIT!

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 08:52 AM

I'll support what everybody has said and say that this is a great improvement on the original game. My group has had numerous nights of entertainment with this game.

I'll also support evilone's opinion that...

evilone said:

I disagree strongly with the conclusion in the 2nd article (i.e. the game is too luck based and doesn't have enough strategy -- in fact it is just the opposite, IMHO)

#10 jadrax

jadrax

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 12:37 PM

moekel said:

go pick it up you will not regrett it. definately an improvemwnt over the original (imho, but someone will likely disagree)!

Well, the chouce is down to this, the updated Talisman or Decent.

#11 Ruvion

Ruvion

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 06:17 AM

so FoD is no longer in the running?!

#12 jadrax

jadrax

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 01:43 PM

Ruvion said:

so FoD is no longer in the running?!

FoD would be the 'This'....

#13 Ruvion

Ruvion

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 06:17 PM

a ha!

And I thought your comma was a colon...an easy mistake to make I figure

...My bad.

#14 jadrax

jadrax

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 06:16 AM

Ruvion said:

a ha!

And I thought your comma was a colon...an easy mistake to make I figure

yes, now you explain it I see how it was unclear! ;o)

#15 KONRAD

KONRAD

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:54 PM

cold blooded fun for all!

#16 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 02:32 AM

Overture said:

Also John Harker is no longer an investigator, instead replaced by the lovely Mina, but Mr.Harker can still make his presence known in an ally card that pops up from time to time.

I don't recall Harker ever being a hunter.  I remember him being a vampire chit that Dracula could get (but rarely did), representing that he had been turned.  Did GW publish two editions of this game before FFG took over?  The older version I played only had three hunters; Van Helsing, Lord Goedring (or whatever) and the doctor who's name escapes me.

In response to the OP, the game is mostly the same as the original, except for how Dracula moves (which is admittedly a big part of the game) and the addition of a fourth hunter (Mina Harker - a nice addition thematically, although the Texan guy would've been better for keeping continuity with the book).  I suppose the whole day/night track is new too.  I remember in the orginal you had to roll to decide if a fight took place in the day or at night, but in this version there's a little compass-style track that marks time of day as the game progresses.  That's an interesting one.

#17 Mr Skeletor

Mr Skeletor

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:09 PM

Steve-O said:

I don't recall Harker ever being a hunter.  I remember him being a vampire chit that Dracula could get (but rarely did), representing that he had been turned.  Did GW publish two editions of this game before FFG took over?  The older version I played only had three hunters; Van Helsing, Lord Goedring (or whatever) and the doctor who's name escapes me.

In response to the OP, the game is mostly the same as the original, except for how Dracula moves (which is admittedly a big part of the game) and the addition of a fourth hunter (Mina Harker - a nice addition thematically, although the Texan guy would've been better for keeping continuity with the book).  I suppose the whole day/night track is new too.  I remember in the orginal you had to roll to decide if a fight took place in the day or at night, but in this version there's a little compass-style track that marks time of day as the game progresses.  That's an interesting one.

Harker was in no edition. The GW edition only had the 3 male hunters, and Mina was added later as a 'expansion' - possibly from White Dwarf.

The texan guy was Quincy Morris, and can't be a hunter as he is dead at the time the game is set in. Dracula can get him as a Zombie ally.

The day night marker is change in the current edition. The resolve mechanic is another one.

#18 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 04:07 AM

Mr Skeletor said:

Harker was in no edition. The GW edition only had the 3 male hunters, and Mina was added later as a 'expansion' - possibly from White Dwarf.

I distinctly remember Harker being a token Dracula could pull out of the box when placing tokens on cities.  He was only one among a great many tokens so I rarely ever saw him when I was playing Drac but I do remember him being there.  The forums will probably mess this up, but here's a link to the BGG image of the token sheets that shows his token, down at the bottom; "Harker vampire."

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/132797

I don't remember if he had any special rules or if he just functioned like the other vampires.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS