Strange Eons Expansion Symbols

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Musha Shukou

Musha Shukou

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:03 AM

In Strange Eons, I'm noticing that the expansion symbols don't appear as they do on the actual cards.  For example, the Black Goat of the Woods symbol has a white border/background so it stands out against the dark portions of the cards, like the black movement part of the mythos card.  Other symbols seem to be too large.  Also, CotDP, DH, and KiY symbols are positioned above the monster movement icons on mythos cards but in SE they are in the usual place in the lower-right corner.  Are these things able to be adjusted in SE or is there a plan to add these adjustments in SE3?

#2 Thelric

Thelric

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:21 AM

In versions prior to 3 a symbol could only be in one place on a particular card (so it couldn't move based on the selected expansion, for example). The default location is typically the location used by the oldest relevant expansion. The Arkham Modern plug-in moves this default for several card types to match the location used in (some) later expansions.

SE3 expands significantly on what can be done with expansion symbols, but there will always be a trade off between keeping expansion symbols simple and flexible and how closely they track the official cards.

Cheers,
Chris

#3 Musha Shukou

Musha Shukou

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 02:13 PM

Ok, sweet. Is this Arkham Modern plug-in in the big plug-in package on your website? Or do I get it elsewhere?

#4 Musha Shukou

Musha Shukou

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:01 PM

Ok, nm, I found it.  With this Arkham Modern plug-in, am I able to move the icon location? Or change the size of the icons?

#5 Musha Shukou

Musha Shukou

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:17 PM

Musha Shukou said:

Ok, nm, I found it.  With this Arkham Modern plug-in, am I able to move the icon location? Or change the size of the icons?

If not, how can I change the size of the icons?

#6 Thelric

Thelric

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:50 PM

One way is to use the Region Editor plug-in. Open the component in question, then choose Toolbox|Region Editor. Find the expansion symbol region key for the component type (it always ends in -expsym, for example, for items it is item-front-sheet-expsym). Edit the location and size, then press Write Setting.

(A region defines a rectangular area on a component. It consists of a series of four numbers separated by commas: the x-offset from the left edge of the card, the y-offset from the top of the card, the width, and the height.)

Cheers,
Chris

#7 Musha Shukou

Musha Shukou

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

In SE3, I'm noticing that if you add mutliple expansion symbols to a card, speicifically a location card, even just 2, instead of staying positioned in the bottom-right corner of the white area, the symbols move to the right into the colored border region.  Is there a way to fix this?  Or even to override it and move them to a position of your liking?

What about the spacing between expansion symbols? Is there a way to change that?

And is there a way to change the size of the symbols on a card?

#8 Thelric

Thelric

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

The full details of how expansion symbols are laid out can be found in the Wiki, but the basics are that you can set both a default location and a special location for particular symbols. When there are mulitple symbols, it tries to center them around the original location, but it applies a margin to each side of the component that keeps the symbols from going off the edge. This margin was a fixed value, but in recent builds it became configurable (see the Wiki). The spacing between symbols is currently chosen automatically, but it is a fraction of the width of the expansion symbol region.

If you want to modify these regions, install the Developer Tools plug-in and open the Settings Explorer when the desired component is being edited. Choose the option to show just the immediate parent settings, not all inherited settings. In the filter field, type "expsym". This should filter out everything but the regions that define where expansion symbols are displayed. Find the right setting(s) related to the card type in question and modify the region as desired.

Cheers,
Chris

#9 Musha Shukou

Musha Shukou

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

Thelric said:

If you want to modify these regions, install the Developer Tools plug-in and open the Settings Explorer when the desired component is being edited. Choose the option to show just the immediate parent settings, not all inherited settings. In the filter field, type "expsym". This should filter out everything but the regions that define where expansion symbols are displayed. Find the right setting(s) related to the card type in question and modify the region as desired.

Ok, a couple of questions about this. 1) Once I've found the right settings in the "Setting Explorer," how do I modify them? Is that something I'd do in "Setting Explorer" itself?  Or would I have to run some sort of script?  2) Whichever I need to do, could you please show me how to do it? (If I need to run some sort of script, please detail for me how to run and apply the script to the already-existing component as well as the code I would use, please).

EDIT: I found that you can double click on the value in "Setting Explorer" to edit the setting. Before I mess with this, does it change the setting for just the card I'm working on or does it change it for all cards of that type? Is there a way to restore the default values?

Also, I found the wiki pages you referenced and read through them. However, I couldn't find any tutorial that showed me how to set my own expsym regions and margins for my own expansion once I've created my own expansion symbol through Expansion|New. Could you please show me how to do this, too?

Thank you!

#10 Thelric

Thelric

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

As long as you have selected the "Private settings of current game component" as the source (at the top), it will only affect the current component. If you made changes to the Master settings table by mistake, they would only last until you restart Strange Eons anyway. (Changes to the Private settings will be saved with the component.) 

You can tell which settings you have changed from their default value, since they are shown in bold, white letters as opposed to grey. If you want to return to the default value, select the setting in the table and press Delete.

The Wiki page that describes how expansion symbols are painted tells you how you can vary the name of the setting to affect only certain combinations of expansions. Basically there is a setting with a name (key) like base-key-expsym-region, where the base-key part depends on which kind of component you want to modify. This defines the default location for expansion symbols to be drawn on card faces of that kind. If this key does not exist, then no expansion symbols are drawn (but you can add it yourself). This key also defines the region that is used when you select more than one expansion.

To move an expansion symbol, you can change the default key described above. Or, you can define an expansion-specific location. To do that you add or edit a key with the name base-key-expsym-code-region. Here, base-key is the same as above, and code is the code for the expansion you want to affect. To get a list of the codes for all of the expansions registered for Arkham Horror, you can run the following in the Quickscript window:

exps = gamedata.Expansion.getExpansionsForGame( gamedata.Game.get('AH'), false );
for( let i=0; i<exps.length; ++i ) printf( '%s: %s', exps[i].code, exps[i].UIName );

If there is already an expansion-specific region for the expansion you want to effect, edit that key. Otherwise, you'll have to add a new one. This is currently a bit awkward in the setting explorer: find a key with a similar name, double click the key name to edit it, change the name, and hit enter. This will create a new key with the name you entered, but the original key won't be affected. Now, edit the value of the new key as desired.

If the symbols escape into the margin of the card, as you described earlier, then you can modify the margin used by adding a key with the same name as the expansion symbol region key, but with -margin instead of -region at the end. As in: base-key-expsym-margin. The default margin is 6.

You can change the location of custom expansions exactly as described, just use the code for the expansion as printed by the script code above.

If you want the location to be a permanent feature of the custom expansion, so that it is the default for new components, then you could modify the plug-in for your custom expansion symbol roughly as follows:

1. Create a new project.

2. Copy your custom expansion symbol plug-in into the project.

3. Right click on the plug-in and choose Import Plug-in.

4. Locate the plug-in script file in the folder that appears and open it.

5. At the bottom of the script, add one or more lines like the following:

game.masterSettings.set( 'xxx-expsym-region', '0,0,30,30' );

using the same key names and values that you defined in the Setting Explorer

6. Right click on the folder containing all of the plug-in files (the one with the round blue icon and the plug-in symbol) and choose Make Plug-in Bundle.

7. Double click the bundle to install it; then you'll need to restart Strange Eons.

Cheers,
Chris

#11 Musha Shukou

Musha Shukou

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

Thank you for all that great info.  My next question is, when you have multiple expansion symbols listed, how do you change the size of only 1 of the symbols listed, and how do you change the spacing between expansion symbols?

Also, when I use the Setting Explorer to change the values, it doesn't save the changes. How can I save the private settings that I change for each individual card?

#12 Thelric

Thelric

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

The space between symbols is calculated automatically based on the size of the region covered by a single symbol.

If you modify the private settings of a component, those settings are saved with that component. If you want to make another component with the same settings, you can start by using the Spin Off command to duplicate the already modified component. If you want to make certain settings the default for all new components, you can do that by writing a simple plug-in. It would be an extension plug-in with a load priority lower than "GAME", so that it always loads after the main Arkham Horror plug-in. In the plug-in, you would look up the Arkham Horror game and get its master settings instance, then modify the settings of that instance as desired.

Cheers,
Chris

#13 Musha Shukou

Musha Shukou

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

Then perhaps I've found a bug, cause when I change the private settings of a component, they're not being saved.

#14 Thelric

Thelric

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:54 PM

For which kinds of component?

#15 Musha Shukou

Musha Shukou

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:40 PM

Location encounters.  So far, those are the only ones I've tried.

#16 Thelric

Thelric

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:30 AM

I can't reproduce this problem.

In the filter for the setting explorer I put:

encounter-front-expsym

So I get only the relevant keys shown. I edited the original value (283,476,30,30) by deleting the 4 (283,76,30,30) which moves the symbol near the top of the card. Saved the file, reopened the file, and the symbol is still in the modified location.

Make sure you have selected "Private Settings of Current Game Component" before editing the value. Also, be aware that, as I stated above, this only affects the specific file that you are modifying, not all cards of that type.

Cheers,
Chris

#17 Musha Shukou

Musha Shukou

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:37 AM

Well, I just downloaded today's release of SE3 (March 08) and tried it again.  It's still not saving for me.  My source is set to "Private Settings of Current Game Component," I replace the current encounter-front-expsym-region value with 263,469,22,22, and I'm using 2 expansion icons:  Innsmouth Horror, and my own custom symbol.  I then save the card and close it.  When I open the card back up, it's back to the default values.

I then tried it without my custom expansion icon; with IH and BGotW, and it worked.  So I must need to change something in my custom expansion.  I've already set the region per your instructions above.  What else do I need to set?

Edit:  Ok, once I changed the second icon back from BGotW to my custom icon, it worked.  The value change is now saved.  So I had to go through each of my cards, change the 2nd icon from custom to BGotW and back again in order for the card to save the new value.

#18 Thelric

Thelric

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:29 PM

That's strange. If it works with the standard expansions, it should work with any expansion. Did you create the expansion symbol plug-in using Expansion|New?

#19 Musha Shukou

Musha Shukou

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:33 PM

Yes, I did.  But please note my edit from above.

Musha Shukou said:

Ok, once I changed the second icon back from BGotW to my custom icon, it worked.  The value change is now saved.  So I had to go through each of my cards, change the 2nd icon from custom to BGotW and back again in order for the card to save the new value.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS