Solo Tatics Deck gets hammered by first scenario

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Reaper Steve

Reaper Steve

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 07:03 PM

So, I've played 4-5 times now, all using the core tactics deck solo against the first scenario.

Since the Passage thru Mirkwoord scenario is Difficulty 1 (the easiest), I thought it would be wise to play the same deck several times to get the hang of  it .Problem is, I keep getting crushed.

My intro game did not go well, but I made the common mistake of adding threat from engaged monsters during the Quest. Oops.

I crushed the scenario the second time. Later I figured out that was because both decks played in the perfect order.

The next two tries weren't even close. I'm getting the feeling that solo core tactics deck isn't going to cut it. I can tell it's meant for a 2-player game. For instance, solo a Horseback Archer is no better than a Veteran Axehand (since the former can't really take advantage for Ranged) but it costs 1 more resource.

Should I just accept that this deck isn't optimum for solo and move on? Or are my tactics to blame? I generally Quest Thalin and Gimli in a meager effeort to just hold back the threat while I make make real progress with Legolas (and maybe a Gondolian Blade) as he kills things. But I seem to average 1-2 threat per turn from failing the Quests. Add  another auto 1 threat at the end of the turn and that only gives me 10-12 turns to hack my way to the end. I just don't see it happening unless the threat deck is kind... there's no way if you've already beat Ungoliant's Spawn but have to cycle back through the deck with the "Don't Leave the Path!" Quest Card.

Thoughts?

Steve

#2 conykchameleon

conykchameleon

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 07:24 PM

IMO: Tactics need to team up with something else to give it the questing and/or healing that it needs. The cards in the tactics starter deck simply don't have the necessary willpower to quest succesfully. And even if you put two Blades of Gondolin on Legolas, you'll make progess initially, but you'll get to 50 threat VERY quickly. However, I think that Tactics becomes an integral part of any dual sphere deck. Gimli is an awesome tank and Legolas' power is quite awesome, and if they have someone to help them quest (for me it's Eowyn or Aragorn), it's quite powerful.

#3 keldon

keldon

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 07:29 PM

Reaper Steve said:

there's no way if you've already beat Ungoliant's Spawn but have to cycle back through the deck with the "Don't Leave the Path!" Quest Card.

Don't Leave the Path instructs you to search the encounter deck and discard for a Spider card of your choice and put it in the staging area.  It seems pretty clear to me that you're meant to pull out Ungoliant's Spawn (unless it's already out) so that you can kill it without having to wait for it to appear.

#4 pumpkin

pumpkin

• Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 07:33 PM

Tactics does struggle if you pull lots of locations, especially if you are keeping people back to attack/defend, but conversely the lore deck struggles against an enemy heavy draw,

Dual sphere decks seem to be the way to beat the scenarios at the moment.

One mistake i think you may have been making though from what you have written...

If you pull don't leave the path, you get to pull one spider card from the deck or discard pile; U-spawn is a spider, so you can pull that card straight  into play, you don't need to cycle through the deck to get it....

if you get to that stage with tactics, the win should proably be confimed, as you just need to pull U-spawn from staging and defeat her.

#5 jhaelen

jhaelen

• Members
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 10:51 PM

Reaper Steve said:

Should I just accept that this deck isn't optimum for solo and move on?

That would be my recommendation.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS