Photo

Drawing Treachery during Setup/Objective/Etc.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Karui_Kage

Karui_Kage

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:25 PM

If you draw a Treachery card during:

- Setup of Scenario 2, where you add some cards to the staging area

- Setup of Scenario 3, when you are adding an encounter to each objective

etc.

What happens?

So far we've been playing as if the Treachery was ignored and another card is drawn in its place (so Scenario 2 *always* has the right number of cards in the staging area at the start, and each objective *always* has an encounter on it) but I'm not really sure. Does it say somewhere in the rules that I've missed?

#2 Artumnis

Artumnis

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:56 PM

Treachery cards aren´t ignored. Treachery are resolved and then discarded. You don´t replace that card.

- Setup of Scenario 3, when you are adding an encounter to each objective

rules, page 24

Treachery: The treachery’s effects resolve, or are
canceled. (Treachery cards are immediately triggered
when they are revealed.)

#3 Karui_Kage

Karui_Kage

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 05:12 AM

Oh, wow, that certainly can make things a *lot* easier then. We thought they wouldn't go off because most of the Treachery cards really don't hurt you during Setup, like ones that deal damage to exhausted characters, or make you lose progress tokens. I guess some of the attachment type ones can still be a pain... but the odds are certainly better this way. Hmm, what about the card that increases your corruption for each character not on a quest? Would that just be ignored since questing hasn't happened, or would you take 3 corruption each (for the 3 heroes you have 'not on a quest')?

#4 Mestrahd

Mestrahd

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 05:36 AM

Do Treachery cards get resolved when they are dealt as shadow cards? I've been ignoring them since they do not typically have a shadow line.

#5 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 01:51 PM

Only shadow text counts for cards drawn as shadow cards. Rulebook page 18 "3. Resolve shadow effect. The active player flips that enemy’s shadow card faceup and resolves any shadow effect that card might have."

#6 Kitsune Rei

Kitsune Rei

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 04:23 PM

I'm actually glad when I see Treachery cards that would have otherwise messed us up go into the discard as harmless shadow cards :)

#7 fabest

fabest

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 10:36 PM

Another question about Treachery  cards during set-ups :

- Can you respond to them ? In the core set, Eleanor can cancel a Treachery card and replace it with another card from the encounter deck. Can she does this during the set-up phase, which is not part of the game phases ?

#8 Emrad

Emrad

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 10:45 PM

Eleanor can indeed respond to a Treachery during setup ; nothing mentions in her text that her ability should be used only during Quest phase.

She'll be exhaust during the first turn obviously.

#9 jhaelen

jhaelen

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 10:46 PM

fabest said:

- Can you respond to them ? In the core set, Eleanor can cancel a Treachery card and replace it with another card from the encounter deck. Can she does this during the set-up phase, which is not part of the game phases ?

No. You cannot use any (re)actions during setup.

#10 Emrad

Emrad

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 11:17 PM

I don't remember reading such a thing in the rulebook.

So you should just reveal the Treachery that makes you discard all events (pretty much every card in some decks) at the beginning of the game, and accept your fate with humilty? :P

#11 Troymk1

Troymk1

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 01:52 AM

jhaelen said:

fabest said:

No. You cannot use any (re)actions during setup.

I think you will find that her ability is a response and therefore quite legal. However note that the card she cancels is replaced!

#12 Wingbirdx

Wingbirdx

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:35 AM

It's setup that means that the game has not started how could she use her ablitly?

#13 pumpkin

pumpkin

• Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 06:03 AM

Yep, set up isn't a phase and the game (and flow charts in the rear of the book) has no option to have player actions occur during set up.

As for this being really bad if the "throw away event cards" card comes up, well, yes it is, but a lot of the treachery cards have no effect if turned in the set up phase, so it is swings and round abouts really.

#14 Entropy42

Entropy42

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 06:06 AM

Her ability isn't a player action.  Its a response, and so it can occur outside of action windows (otherwise you couldn't even use it in response to something being revealed).  Your heroes are already selected by the time you do set up.  If the treachery cards can harm them, I don't see why they shouldn't also be able to respond.

#15 pumpkin

pumpkin

• Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 06:11 AM

Entropy42 said:

Her ability isn't a player action.  Its a response, and so it can occur outside of action windows (otherwise you couldn't even use it in response to something being revealed).  Your heroes are already selected by the time you do set up.  If the treachery cards can harm them, I don't see why they shouldn't also be able to respond.

ah, good point. i hadnt checked the card. One for the FAQ i guess but certainly as far as the rules go so far, there is nothing to prevent responses fro  ocurring during set up, so its a legal move.

#16 jhaelen

jhaelen

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 01:26 AM

pumpkin said:

One for the FAQ i guess
Yup!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS