Paying once for multiple effects

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DerBarchen

DerBarchen

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 03:56 AM

This is perhaps a little hairbrained but withot anything in the rules preventing me from doing this it seems entirely possible. I have two Protector of Loriens on the same character. I discard 1 card, can that character now get a +2 bonus to strength or willpower?

My rule-lawyer instincts would say no since PoL is an Action rather than a passive effect and hence you have to trigger each action individulay and pay for it individually but I was wondering if people had a similar thought

#2 Apophenia

Apophenia

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 05:07 AM

DerBarchen said:

This is perhaps a little hairbrained but withot anything in the rules preventing me from doing this it seems entirely possible. I have two Protector of Loriens on the same character. I discard 1 card, can that character now get a +2 bonus to strength or willpower?

My rule-lawyer instincts would say no since PoL is an Action rather than a passive effect and hence you have to trigger each action individulay and pay for it individually but I was wondering if people had a similar thought

Your rule-lawyer instincts are correct. Since it is an action it is completed fully before you can take the next action. So you discard a card to get +1 Willpower and then that card is in the discard and you can not discard that card again. 

#3 Titan

Titan

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:11 AM

A general rule I've seen for most games is that you cannot pay one cost and trigger two effects that require the same price. Usually, you must declare which effect's cost you are paying and then pay for the second separately.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS