Most hated encounter cards?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mestrahd

Mestrahd

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:29 AM

I've only been playing scenario one so far, but I would have to say I absolutely hate Dol Guldur Orcs. Their when revealed hurts and their shadow ALWAYS comes up when I let a guy through. A close second would be King Spider. Exhausting an additional guy when you weren't planning for it hurts.

#2 Apophenia

Apophenia

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:38 AM

The Brown Lands is on the list. You commit some people anticipating getting a little progress and bam +5 Threat Strength. Eat your threat and like it!

Also Despair as a Shadow card. Ignores your bloody defense and you watch in horror as your Hero dies. 

#3 CrowOfPyke

CrowOfPyke

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:50 AM

Dol Goldur Orcs and Hummerhorns are my current least favorite Encounter cards.

#4 jhaelen

jhaelen

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:20 AM

Apophenia said:

Also Despair as a Shadow card. Ignores your bloody defense and you watch in horror as your Hero dies. 

Yup, Despair is a killer! Another shadow effect that often caused problems for me is the one where you have to return an ally card to your hand.

I also don't enjoy getting caught in a web. Among the enemies the worgs are really annoying since they keep running back to the staging area.

#5 Titan

Titan

• Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:30 PM

Haven't any of you guys met the Hill Troll? If not, you are in for a treat. 

I agree with Hummerhorns, though. I had it in the staging area today, just waiting. It took a desperate maneuver, exhausting Gleowine, drawing and playing Wealth of Lorien, drawing Gandalf and playing him via Sneak Attack and then hitting with his damage to erase Hummerhorns. Otherwise, I would have lost my second hero. 

Honorable mention goes to The Necromancer's Reach.

#6 jhaelen

jhaelen

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:18 PM

Titan said:

Haven't any of you guys met the Hill Troll? If not, you are in for a treat. 

Well, Ungoliant's Spawn, the Hill Troll, and the Nazgul are threats you cannot avoid, you _must_ deal with them. This means you've planned for encountering them probably as early as when you've built your deck and chose your heroes. Hating them is futile

For me to hate a card it must be something that I could have avoided had I only been more lucky with my card draws.

#7 Titan

Titan

• Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:20 AM

Well, it takes a bit of luck, but Ungoliant's Spawn can actually be avoided. I come to it from the opposite point of view. Most cards that may or may not show up, don't bother me as much. It's the one royal pain in the rear end that can't be avoided that frustrates me. But as you say, it is easier to prepare for them.  

#8 faith_star83

faith_star83

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:01 AM

I absolutely hate Caught in a Web! That card is putting a way too strong limitation on my heroes, especially when drawn early in the game it seriously puts you behind. In solo-mode it's almost equal to a loss when drawn in the set-up phase of scenario 3!

#9 jhaelen

jhaelen

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:16 PM

faith_star83 said:

In solo-mode it's almost equal to a loss when drawn in the set-up phase of scenario 3!

True dat. However, it means the game is over real quick . That usually doesn't bother me as much as a game that is lost in stage three.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS