Engaging

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 daveman006

daveman006

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:55 PM

Sorry I am a total newb at this game just got it today.  If an enemy is engaged and the quest phase comes, is that creature still considered to be in the staging area as far as calcualating threat?  I couldn't find anything in the rules about this so... I am asking the forum

#2 Artumnis

Artumnis

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:06 PM

No, only from cards in the staging area.

Step 3: Quest Resolution
Finally, the players compare the combined willpower
strength of all committed characters against the
combined threat strength of all cards in the staging
area.

#3 Entropy42

Entropy42

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:18 AM

Wow.  I was totally playing this wrong.  No wonder it was impossible to ever win Willpower checks with the Tactics deck.

On that note, for players looking for added difficulty, disengage all enemies at the end of each round.

#4 Titan

Titan

• Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:03 AM

Tactics deck is extremely low on willpower. Even with engaged enemies, you'll find it hard to win quests. And if you start getting a lot of locations, you will be in serious trouble. 

#5 Entropy42

Entropy42

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:45 AM

Titan said:

Tactics deck is extremely low on willpower. Even with engaged enemies, you'll find it hard to win quests. And if you start getting a lot of locations, you will be in serious trouble. 

Yep, this is exactly what I found.  I got to 5 Threat Strength worth of Locations on the board, plus I had an active location, and it was game over.  I could only do 4 Willpower a turn, so I was guaranteed at least 1 threat a turn, and never could make location progress without monsters for Legolas to kill.  Kind of disappointing that one of the preconstructed decks has almost no chance of winning the "easy" prepackaged scenario.

#6 pumpkin

pumpkin

• Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:49 AM

Entropy42 said:

Titan said:

Yep, this is exactly what I found.  I got to 5 Threat Strength worth of Locations on the board, plus I had an active location, and it was game over.  I could only do 4 Willpower a turn, so I was guaranteed at least 1 threat a turn, and never could make location progress without monsters for Legolas to kill.  Kind of disappointing that one of the preconstructed decks has almost no chance of winning the "easy" prepackaged scenario.

It works well if you pull plenty of enemies from the encounter deck! Guess that is a bit of a given with a sphere called tactics. I'm sure other decks would not fair well if you got an enemy heavy draw (Lore springs to mind), conversely.

I think in solo play a dual sphere deck will be the way to go, and mono decks (especially tactics and lore) will only see much play in multiplayer games.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS