Jump to content



Photo

Question: Hummerhorns - Shadow effect.


  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ChinaBlade

ChinaBlade

    Member

  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 11:15 AM

Hi All,

This is a question regarding the Hummerhorns Shadow effect.
If the Shadow effect of this card eliminates the defender from its associated enemy – is that enemy’s attack now considered undefended, and does the Shadow effect now deal 2 damage instead of 1? I wouldn’t think so, because at the moment when the Shadow effect is revealed, the attack is being defended.
However, the card text states “Deal 1 damage to each character…” (which kills the defender) followed by (2 damage instead if this attack is undefended) – which is now the case.
If the card text were to read “…if this attack was undefended” then I would be clear on the matter and deal only the 1 damage.
 

Cheers.

 



#2 Apophenia

Apophenia

    Member

  • Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 11:30 AM

ChinaBlade said:

 

Hi All,

This is a question regarding the Hummerhorns Shadow effect.
If the Shadow effect of this card eliminates the defender from its associated enemy – is that enemy’s attack now considered undefended, and does the Shadow effect now deal 2 damage instead of 1? I wouldn’t think so, because at the moment when the Shadow effect is revealed, the attack is being defended.
However, the card text states “Deal 1 damage to each character…” (which kills the defender) followed by (2 damage instead if this attack is undefended) – which is now the case.
If the card text were to read “…if this attack was undefended” then I would be clear on the matter and deal only the 1 damage.
 

Cheers.

 

 

The way I play it is that the Shadow effect checks to see if it is defended. If it is then it deals one damage to all your characters and if it isn't then it deals two. You don't go back an reevaluate if it was defended or not just because the effect killed the defender.

However after the Shadow effect is resolved the attack is now undefended and you need to choose your 'lucky' hero to absorb all the damage. 

 



#3 ChinaBlade

ChinaBlade

    Member

  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 11:42 AM

Thank you for this clarification - this is the way I have been playing it.

In one game, even just the +1 damage manage to wipe out 4 of my characters! Granted, my group was in very bad shape - but this card can be brutal!

Cheers.

 



#4 Apophenia

Apophenia

    Member

  • Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 11:44 AM

ChinaBlade said:

Thank you for this clarification - this is the way I have been playing it.

In one game, even just the +1 damage manage to wipe out 4 of my characters! Granted, my group was in very bad shape - but this card can be brutal!

Cheers.

Yup, you can't escape from the Hummerhorns. You have to deal with them whether it comes up as a Enemy or a Shadow effect. That is one of the reasons I like Spirit. Hasty Stroke is sometimes a lifesaving card. 



#5 Mestrahd

Mestrahd

    Member

  • Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 12:14 PM

Does the Hummerhorns primary effect take place if you optionally engage them? The way it's worded seems like when you fail an engagement check.



#6 Apophenia

Apophenia

    Member

  • Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 12:21 PM

Mestrahd said:

Does the Hummerhorns primary effect take place if you optionally engage them? The way it's worded seems like when you fail an engagement check.

Yes. "In all cases, the player is considered to have engaged the enemy and the enemy is considered to have engaged the player."  page 16.

 

Hummerhorns suck, I suggest calling upon the aid of a great wizard to deal with them.



#7 Acererak

Acererak

    Member

  • Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 12:37 PM

Apophenia said:

Hummerhorns suck, I suggest calling upon the aid of a great wizard to deal with them.

Or from the Rohirrim Dunhere, if he happens to be around.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS