Cheesy finish

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 spirit

spirit

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:47 AM

Has anyone else found that least quest of a scenario almost too easy? Perhaps we're missing something but I don't think we are. The game ends the moment you place enough progress tokens on it right? So what stops you simply putting everyone up to quest on the last turn? 10 progress needed? No problem. 15 progress needed? With a couple of decent allies each in a two player game no problem. you don't need to face off against the enemies if you complete it so it doesn't matter if you have anything in reserve. Anyone else finding this?

#2 HyenaSpotz

HyenaSpotz

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:49 AM

Wait, wait, let me get this straight: your heroes are surviving long enough to reach the final quest? ;)

#3 Hastur360

Hastur360

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 04:02 AM

Well I assume you are talking about  Beorn's Path 3b. So lets say you and a friend are playing and you decide lets go all in since all we have to do is put progress on the thing and we win right? There could be several things that happen during this that increases threat, not to mention whatever might already be in play or the Treachery cards that could be drawn. Even for pity's sake we say you have a cleaned out Staging Area when you flip to Beorn's Path and then go Questing. You commit everyone and the flips happen. Well first off one bad thing could happen, you may flip Ungoliant's Spawn which will reduce your will and then be sitting there to beat on the first player since you committed everyone and there are no defenders available. (sure you could have a few cards up your sleeve to deal with this.)

Or you could flip two straight The Necromancer's Reach and then you may lose some allies and even heroes if they were previously damaged which isn't improbable.

I don't think it is an easy or cheesy finish in the slightest. Could it be very easy to do? Sure it could. Could something come back to haunt you or hinder you if you go all in? Sure it could.

I just don't think it would be that easy to go all in on committing to quest. Just my two cents really.

#4 monkeylite

monkeylite

• Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 05:20 AM

Yeah, I see it as maybe a last desperate dash to freedom, like at the end of Alien or when Frodo escapes at the end of Fellowship. You can run, but when you do you'd better hope you've timed it right coz there's still a lot that can go wrong: Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid style. Cheesy enough?

#5 DerBarchen

DerBarchen

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 05:44 AM

monkeylite said:

Yeah, I see it as maybe a last desperate dash to freedom, like at the end of Alien or when Frodo escapes at the end of Fellowship. You can run, but when you do you'd better hope you've timed it right coz there's still a lot that can go wrong: Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid style. Cheesy enough?

Haha, I really like that image.

But yeah, I think this isnt that big of a problem. As people have pointed out encounter staging can always mess you up. That and you gota remember that Beorn's path is one of two random quests, its meant to be easier than the other one ;)

#6 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 06:13 AM

monkeylite said:

Butch and Sundance survived that... Now Legolas and Gimli playing a solo game....

#7 Titan

Titan

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:44 AM

I did it by using Faramir's ability to increase willpower and overwhelmed the quest in two rounds. I was trying to do exactly that in one round by committing all my heroes, but what someone mentioned earlier happened. The Necromancer's Reach showed up and nailed Gloin for good. Fortunately, with Aragorn and lots of allies in play, to cover up for the exhausted ones, there was no issue.

#8 spirit

spirit

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:58 PM

Hmmm. That's the point of putting everyone up though. If you do take a couple of casualties, it wont matter because you still gain the quest. We went forward with something like 19 willpower to a current path of 5 or 6. No matter what came up we weren't going to lose. But no I'm not just talking about beorns path. I'm talking about the other 2 scenarios as well....

lol and before you all blast me that I must be doing something wrong... I'm pretty sure we're not. We were playing a 2 player game each with a mixed deck playing 2 sphere's each so all 4 sphere's were represented. This does make the game much easier than trying to play solo with just one sphere. 

#9 Titan

Titan

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:48 AM

If you think about it, the other scenario is the same. You have to kill Ungoliant's Spawn to win. So, you can disregard a lot of other things and just bend every character you have to attack the Spawn. It may be later in the round, but it is still an all-out effort to achieve a single objective.

#10 Kitsune Rei

Kitsune Rei

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:49 AM

Sometimes it does depend what kind of deck/heroes you're playing as to which is easier- blowing through the quest, or just taking down the spawn. I think if things are going well for you either can be easy. But I think (other than solo play) if you have 2-3 people with synnergized decks, the first scenario isn't terribly hard barring some really card flips. But that makes it good for deck testing, and it'd be outright mean if the first scenario you played learning the game beat you down horribly every time ;)

And sometimes there just are golden games where things go your way.

#11 Titan

Titan

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:03 PM

I agree. I think that just about any decently thought out dual sphere deck can defeat the first quest. I've done it with spirit/tactics and leadership/lore. Aside from mono leadership and mono lore(to my surprise). 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS