Photo

Question: Driven By Shadow entering an empty staging area.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ChinaBlade

ChinaBlade

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:04 AM

Hi Folks,

I began the Quest phase with an empty Staging Area (I assumed my Old Forest Road Active Location didn't count as being 'in the staging area').

I revealed Driven By Shadow in 'Step 2: Staging' and it gained Surge. As a result of this, I revealed an additional card from the Encounter Deck (East Bight Patrol).

Now that I have an Enemy in the Staging Area, does Driven By Shadow still get to add +1 Threat to the Patrol? Or is the total effect of DBS upon an empty staging area simply to reveal an additional card?

Many Thanks.

#2 Hastur360

Hastur360

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:17 AM

Both things happen. You flip Driven By Shadow, it's effect goes off, Each enemy and location currently  in the staging area gets +1 Threat until the end of the phase. Then it checks the empty staging area and then surges.  So when you flip the Patrol it will not get the +1 Threat as it was not currently in the staging area when the first part of Driven By Shadow took effect.

-Edited this once Widowmaker pointed out the currently. Was using the info from the living card database which does not include the word currently. So I checked my actual card.

#3 widowmaker93

widowmaker93

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:34 AM

Yeah if you read DBS you will see that it has that nifty little word "currently" in the text describing who gets the +1 threat (i.e. Each enemy and location currently in the staging area....").  Therefore when it's effect is resolved there are no enemies in the staging area so no one gets the +1 and DBS activates it's surge effect bringing in EBP. They will not get the +! threat since when the card checked for legal targets there were none "currently" in the staging area.

#4 ChinaBlade

ChinaBlade

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 04:27 AM

Many Thanks for this clear and speedy help.

I would definitely be unable to play this game without access to these forums - my list of clarifications is getting as long as the Rules themselves!

Very Best Regards.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS