Dunhere question

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 scottindeed

scottindeed

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 11:09 PM

Dunhere's card says he can attack enemies in the Staging area and gets +1 Attack Strength if he attacks alone.  Does this mean that other characters can't attack at all when he does this (even normally against enemies that you are engaged with).  Or just that he has to attack the enemy in the staging area alone.

#2 Acererak

Acererak

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 11:16 PM

The later. It seems to be written this way with other Heroes/Allies/Cards allowed to attack enemies in the staging area in the future. At the moment, he always attacks alone into the staging area.

#3 scottindeed

scottindeed

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 11:28 PM

Thanks I figured it was probably that, but I just had a nagging thought whilst playing the other day.  Time to try out my Aragorn/Theodred/Dunhere deck!

#4 vermillian

vermillian

• Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 02:07 AM

Does him attacking alone give him the +1 attack, or him attacking the staging area alone give him the +1 attack?

#5 EvilEdwin

EvilEdwin

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 02:15 AM

He gets the +1 when he attacks an enemy in the staging area, which he can only do alone.

#6 DerBarchen

DerBarchen

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:39 AM

I assumed they were seperate effects. Ie. He can attack enemies in the staging area And he gets +1 when attacking alone. So the anwser to your question would be that he gets +1 when attacking alone, regardless of where the target is. I assume this is a mechanic to regulate cards released later that may or may not be able to attack cards in the staging area too.

#7 HyenaSpotz

HyenaSpotz

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:56 AM

DerBarchen said:

I assumed they were seperate effects. Ie. He can attack enemies in the staging area And he gets +1 when attacking alone. So the anwser to your question would be that he gets +1 when attacking alone, regardless of where the target is. I assume this is a mechanic to regulate cards released later that may or may not be able to attack cards in the staging area too.

They do not appear to be separate effects.

"Dúnhere can target enemies in the staging area when he attacks alone. When doing so, he gets +1 [Attack]."

The "so" in "when doing so" appears to imply "target enemies in the staging area when he attacks alone." 

#8 Hastur360

Hastur360

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 04:10 AM

I agree with HyenaSpotz they are not seperate effects.

#9 Ismar

Ismar

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 05:59 AM

Another Dunhere question.

When attacking enemies in the staging area, do they get there defense subtracted from the attack total, or is it straight damage?

We've been playing it straight damage, but I'm not sure if that's correct.

Thanks,

Don

#10 DerBarchen

DerBarchen

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 06:05 AM

Hastur360 said:

I agree with HyenaSpotz they are not seperate effects.

Ah yesh! I read that wrong o.O HyenaSpotz is completely correct!

#11 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 06:09 AM

Ismar said:

When attacking enemies in the staging area, do they get there defense subtracted from the attack total, or is it straight damage?

Thanks,

Don

Treat it like a normal attack in regard to dealing damage.

#12 wraith428

wraith428

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:53 AM

How does the ranged ability work with Dunhere.  Can characters with the ranged ability aid him?

Wraith428

#13 HyenaSpotz

HyenaSpotz

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:00 AM

wraith428 said:

How does the ranged ability work with Dunhere.  Can characters with the ranged ability aid him?

No, they cannot. As per the rules for the Ranged keyword on page 24 (emphasis mine):

"A character with the ranged keyword can be declared by its controller as an attacker against enemies that are engaged with other players."

The enemy that Dúnhere attacks is still in the Staging Area and not actually engaged with any player, so the Ranged keyword has no bearing on the attack.

#14 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:31 AM

HyenaSpotz said:

wraith428 said:

No, they cannot. As per the rules for the Ranged keyword on page 24 (emphasis mine):

"A character with the ranged keyword can be declared by its controller as an attacker against enemies that are engaged with other players."

The enemy that Dúnhere attacks is still in the Staging Area and not actually engaged with any player, so the Ranged keyword has no bearing on the attack.

And then there's that whole Dunhere has to attack alone thing.

#15 HyenaSpotz

HyenaSpotz

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:55 AM

qwertyuiop said:

And then there's that whole Dunhere has to attack alone thing.

Hush, you! :P

#16 Kitsune Rei

Kitsune Rei

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:55 AM

qwertyuiop said:

Ismar said:

Thanks,

Don

Treat it like a normal attack in regard to dealing damage.

I would think it'd say something more like Dunhere "deals damage equal to his attack" if they intended it to be straight damage negating shields. I've always played it with shields applying. Which yes does suck sometimes for him at times, I know there's at least one monster with a 3 shield.

#17 vermillian

vermillian

• Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:52 PM

No actually what is that "when doing so"... what's the 'so' that its referring to? The English language is vague in this regard, so the 'so' here is not obvious. Technically such 'so' appearances should refer to the most recent condition described: attacking alone.

#18 pumpkin

pumpkin

• Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:14 PM

vermillian said:

No actually what is that "when doing so"... what's the 'so' that its referring to? The English language is vague in this regard, so the 'so' here is not obvious. Technically such 'so' appearances should refer to the most recent condition described: attacking alone.

I don't think it is vague at all. You are right that the "when so" is applied to the most recent condition, but the previous sentence only contains a single condition.

As others have already stated, they are only a single effect, "Dúnhere can target enemies in the staging area when he attacks alone"

Dunhere cannot attack enemies in the staging area unless he attacks alone, and therefore there are not two conditions only one. He never has an opportunity to attack enemies in the staging area with other people. Just because he can attack alone enemies that are not in the staging area, you cannot extrapolate that the +1 applies to all instances of him attacking alone, because the sentence isnt constructed in a way that supports that theory.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS