• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ferendra

Ferendra

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 12:47 AM

Hi folks,

in the example on page 19 the undefended Forest Spider has an attack strength of 2.

How so ? 

Should it not be 3 due to the card effect :

Forced: After Forest Spider engages a player, it gets +1 ATK until the end of the round

Thanks in advance and greetings from Germany

Ferendra

#2 Paul Grogan

Paul Grogan

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 02:45 AM

The spider only gets the +1 on the same turn as it engages / was engaged.  On future turns, it is only 2 attack.

#3 TheProfessor

TheProfessor

• Members
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 03:00 AM

And (I think) the Forest Spider only gets its +1 when it engages you, not when you engage it.  Sort of an ambush kind of thing.  (At least that's how I read the language on the card.)

#4 fabest

fabest

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 03:54 AM

TheProfessor said:

And (I think) the Forest Spider only gets its +1 when it engages you, not when you engage it.  Sort of an ambush kind of thing.  (At least that's how I read the language on the card.)

That's not correct. An enemy engages you and you engage an enemy no matter who decides to engage the other. It's in the rulebook.

#5 TheProfessor

TheProfessor

• Members
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 05:42 AM

Hmm... the rulebook, you say?  Well if you want to play by the rules, then I see that you are right and I was wrong.

#6 Ferendra

Ferendra

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 06:21 AM

Hi there ,

thanks so far. But.... :-) it is the first turn that the spider engages the hero/player as the example is

representing an ongoing turn.

I (still) can not find a rule which impies that  there is no attackstrength modifier (+1) for the undefended attack.

Greetings

Ferendra

#7 pumpkin

pumpkin

• Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 07:30 AM

Although the example follows on from the previous example (where Kris has just been engaged by Ungoliant's spawn and forest spider), i think each example is to be taken in its own right.

In the actual combat example, it doesn't state anywhere that the forest spider has just engaged Kris during the previous engagement check and therefore it shouldn't be assumed that that is the case.

The fact that the attack is undefended is irrelevant; the forest spiders +1 is only appleid in the combat round after the forest spider engages, and the example is simply of a later round of combat, which has assumed the forest spider didn't engage in the previous engagement check.

If the forest spider had engaged in the previous engagement check then the +1 would be applied regardless of whether the attack was defended against or not.

Hope this helps

#8 Ferendra

Ferendra

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 07:46 AM

Thanks Pumpkin,

"i think each example is to be taken in its own right."

This might be the solution to "my" problem.

Have a nice Day

Ferendra

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS