Photo

First game, my impressions and a couple of questions.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Titan

Titan

• Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 10:44 AM

Well, I just finished the passage through Mirkwood scenario using the leadership deck. I won with a threat score of 41 and one dead hero, Gloin. Here are some of my first impressions:

1) I was extremely lucky: Ungoliant's Spawn and Uthak both came out as as shadow cards and I did not have to face them. Also, only one location came out during regular encounter draws, all others also came out as shadow cards. On the flip side, I did not draw Gandalf and Sneak Attack only showed up in the last round. 

2) Aragorn is an excellent card: his ability to quest, refresh and then attack/defend is incredible. He is a huge reason for the victory.

3) Drawing and playing lots of allies may be the best way to win, period. 

4) Dor Guldur Beastmaster is one giant pain in the rear end. Two of them, don't even get me started.

5) Faramir's ability to exhaust and increase all character's willpower is extremely useful in general questing  and perhaps the best, quickest way to defeat the Beorn's Path scenario. 

6) The Necromancer's Reach really nailed poor Gloin.

7) Can't wait to play again, although it's all downhill from here.

A couple of questions, though: If Uthak was only in the game as a shadow card do his victory points count? I'm guessing yes, since his card did leave play, however, he was never actually defeated.

Second question refers to Valiant Sacrifice: I played after shadow cards were dealt and before combat was begun guessing that it's effect had to be in play before  an ally leaves play. Is this the correct timing? Or should I have played it after combat? 

Thanks for reading and for answering.

#2 Bohemond

Bohemond

• Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 10:49 AM

1) You do not get victory points for shadow cards.

2) Valiant Sacrifice is a Response, so you can play play it after the appropriate trigger, in this case, an ally leaving play.

#3 Titan

Titan

• Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 11:00 AM

Darn! Overlooked the response part of it. Played it wrong, then. I hope it doesn't taint the victory too much. Thanks for the answer!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS