[Rule question] Multiple ranged attacks in the same turn against same enemy

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sorty

sorty

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:19 AM

When it's my turn to declare attacks, I choose to attack a monster engaged with me, but I don't kill it.

Then, another player, on the same turn, when he is declaring his counter-attacks, declare and resolve an attack from distance against my enemy with a ranged character (like Legolas) and kill it.

Can we do this?

In other words, can two or more players attack the same monster in the same turn, with multiple separate attacks, if they have ranged characters?

Thematically it seems ok, and the Ranged keyword seems to grant this behavoiur as an exception to what is written at page 20:

Quote:
After a player’s first attack has resolved, he can declare another attack against any eligible enemy target that he has not yet attacked this round. Each player can declare an attack (with any number of eligible attackers he controls) against each enemy with which he is engaged once each round. Once all of a player’s attacks resolve, play proceeds clockwise from the first player until all players have resolved all of their attacks.

This is what the rules say about the Ranged keyword:
Quote:
A character with the ranged keyword can be declared by its controller as an attacker against enemies that are engaged with other players. A character can declare
ranged attacks against these targets while its owner is declaring attacks,
or it can participate in attacks that are declared by other players.

#2 Apophenia

Apophenia

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:27 AM

That looks correct. The way it is written implies that you can either declare your own attack against other player's Enemies with your ranged characters or have your ranged characters assist another player when that player attacks. I would say it is an exclusive or though so you can't both assist and declare your own attack against the same enemy. That will prevent you from attacking the same enemy with the same character multiple times in the same turn.  

#3 faith_star83

faith_star83

• Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:20 PM

I rellay like ranged characters (especially Legolas!), they seem quite versatile and powerful, especially in multiplayer.

Basically, any given enemy can be attacked only once by each player. But different players can attack the same enemy (each on his turn if not ranged).

The ranged characters get to attack out-of-turn, basically assisting the other player's attack. If you equip your ranger with Unexpected Courage you can even attack on your own turn and assist your friend's attack!

sorty said:

When it's my turn to declare attacks, I choose to attack a monster engaged with me, but I don't kill it.

Then, another player, on the same turn, when he is declaring his counter-attacks, declare and resolve an attack from distance against my enemy with a ranged character (like Legolas) and kill it.

Can we do this?

In other words, can two or more players attack the same monster in the same turn, with multiple separate attacks, if they have ranged characters?

Thematically it seems ok, and the Ranged keyword seems to grant this behavoiur as an exception to what is written at page 20:

Quote:
After a player’s first attack has resolved, he can declare another attack against any eligible enemy target that he has not yet attacked this round. Each player can declare an attack (with any number of eligible attackers he controls) against each enemy with which he is engaged once each round. Once all of a player’s attacks resolve, play proceeds clockwise from the first player until all players have resolved all of their attacks.

This is what the rules say about the Ranged keyword:
Quote:
A character with the ranged keyword can be declared by its controller as an attacker against enemies that are engaged with other players. A character can declare
ranged attacks against these targets while its owner is declaring attacks,
or it can participate in attacks that are declared by other players.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS