Photo

Has anyone had success with the Lore deck?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Fai

Fai

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 11:30 PM

I can beat the first scenario solo with every other deck but not this one. It starts off with 30 threat so there is a lot of combat, but the best fighter is also the best questing character and unlike Aragorn you get 1 use of him!

The deck gives lots of draw and delaying abilities but either locations or monsters eventually overwhelm it. It feels like it's missing something as there is no point in lots of draw if you are not getting useful cards (except Gandalf of course.) The first chapter pack will have Bilbo for this deck but he has terrible stats and 9 threat (2 cards a turn though may be too hard to give up.)

Is there something I am missing or should I avoid soloing with this deck?

#2 Acererak

Acererak

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 12:07 AM

Probably missing Protector of Lorien. That card has no limit in how many times can be used per round (usually overlooked). Since Lore deck has also quite a few ways to draw more cards, combine with Glorfindel and run through quests like crazy.

Forest Snare also helps a lot.

Hard deck to play solo though. But not useless at all.

#3 The_Big_Show

The_Big_Show

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:02 AM

I've not managed to solo the Lore deck either. At present it's also just feels like a support faction in multiplay as well which doesn't make it all that interesting.

#4 Acererak

Acererak

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:25 AM

Well, I just played a game with solo Lore deck against Escape from Dol Guldur and made it the furthest so far out of quite a few tries (managed to rescue poor old Denethor). Trapping the Nazgul helps a lot. So does Protector of Lorien. Allies are quite nice in this deck as well.

Better think twice before overlooking this deck! ;-)

#5 pumpkin

pumpkin

• Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:56 AM

The_Big_Show said:

I've not managed to solo the Lore deck either. At present it's also just feels like a support faction in multiplay as well which doesn't make it all that interesting.

Thats how i feel about it too, it does seem like a great support deck.

I'm determined to give it another go solo though until i have managed to work out the specifics of the deck. Each deck has its own strengths and I'd hate to think any of them aren't viable in solo play

#6 simpatikool

simpatikool

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 02:28 AM

The Lore deck is the only one I have tried so far in this game. Have not gotten far though. I would add that my failure to complete is more due to uncertainty in rule interactions than anything else.

#7 SJBenoist

SJBenoist

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:59 AM

I actually think Lore is the strongest deck.

Protector of Lorien is (IMO) broken, and no other deck can produce combos or "power cards" so reliably.  

#8 CrowOfPyke

CrowOfPyke

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:13 AM

Acererak said:

Probably missing Protector of Lorien. That card has no limit in how many times can be used per round (usually overlooked). Since Lore deck has also quite a few ways to draw more cards, combine with Glorfindel and run through quests like crazy.

Forest Snare also helps a lot.

Hard deck to play solo though. But not useless at all.

Forest Snare is good.

But I must admit that I also overlooked that Protector Of Lorien can be used more than once per turn.  Lore appears to be more about board control, and will take time to learn how to use this Sphere properly.

#9 Fai

Fai

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:29 AM

I just had my first success, Protector of Lorien was the MVP of the deck! I was trying to keep too many cards before, now using Loriens Wealth to draw I was throwing all my cards away to make huge progress on quests. I put it on Beravor so that I still had an attacking and defending character to keep the spiders away.

The diffent play styles of each deck is what amazes me about this game.

#10 pumpkin

pumpkin

• Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:56 AM

SJBenoist said:

I actually think Lore is the strongest deck.

Protector of Lorien is (IMO) broken, and no other deck can produce combos or "power cards" so reliably.  

Broken because it isn't limited to one use per round/phase?

#11 SJBenoist

SJBenoist

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:01 AM

Pretty much. 

It would not be so bad if not for Lore's ability to produce so many cards so easily.  Being able to drop 7 cards on Glorfindel and have him Quest at a Willpower of 10 every other turn is just too good (IMO).

#12 pumpkin

pumpkin

• Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:11 AM

I'm going to try the deck again, now I've seen PoL in a new light, but I wonder if this card will get updated via the FAQ to be use once per phase or something (which could tame it alot without making it an exhaust to use), but to be honest other than forest snare, without PoL this deck doesn't seem to have much going for it and that card almost seems to be critical to successful questing with the deck.

#13 jhaelen

jhaelen

• Members
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:15 AM

I actually had the easiest time playing the Lore deck. The Spirit and Tactics decks are the ones that didn't work well for me.

Spirit has too few allies, so if you get many enemies, you'll lose.

Tactics has too little willpower, so you have to rely on Legolas to get your progress tokens which means it's pure luck if you win.

I've since put together different, two-sphere decks which all work a lot better for solo play than the pre-built ones.

#14 SJBenoist

SJBenoist

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:35 AM

5 important generalizations to remember with Lore: 

• Don't try to block or kill every Enemy.
  • Focus on gathering Progress tokens as quickly as possible.
  • Use healing to offset the damage you are taking from Engagements.
  • Let Denethor stop the nastiest thing on the board, and let the rest by.  (Use Forest Snare if it is too strong for him).
  • Use Breavor to draw cards. 

#15 Apophenia

Apophenia

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:52 AM

I put Protector of Lorien on Beravor and sent her questing. If the board was clear I also sent Glorfindel to help. However if there was something I needed to kill then I kept Glorfindel in reserve. He has both a Willpower and Attack of 3 so he is very versatile. Block with Denethor and then kill the monster with Glorfindel. If there are multiple enemies don't be afraid to let some of the damage through, you have lots of ways of healing damage.

This is probably slower then putting Protector of Lorien on Glorfindel and doing super questing but you can probably deal with Enemies better.

#16 CAlexander

CAlexander

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:38 AM

pumpkin said:

The_Big_Show said:

Thats how i feel about it too, it does seem like a great support deck.

I'm determined to give it another go solo though until i have managed to work out the specifics of the deck. Each deck has its own strengths and I'd hate to think any of them aren't viable in solo play

Tactics is not at all viable in solo play. If you have a LOT of luck with Legolas you can get through the intro scenario, but that's only if you're lucky, and it doesn't stand a chance in the other scenarios (not that any of the decks have good chances against them solo). Having 0 Allies with any willpower is just brutal. Hopefully a few expansions changes that.

#17 Apophenia

Apophenia

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:45 AM

I agree with you that you have to be lucky to win with the Tactics deck, however...

CAlexander said:

Having 0 Allies with any willpower is just brutal. Hopefully a few expansions changes that.

Beorn has 1 willpower! Gandalf has 4 willpower! I totally use both of them for questing when playing Tactics. 

#18 pumpkin

pumpkin

• Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:51 AM

Got much further on my latest attempts, when using PoL to its full potential, but still haven't beat the first scenario with Lore. It's a real pain that Glorfindel is the best attacker and quester, and its always a pain only effectively being able to one or the other well each round

Its difficult to get any serious damage dealt with the deck (which to be fair isn't its forte), and despite a few forest snares coming to play (need 3 of those babies really..), due to the high threat of the starting heroes i keep finding myself being overwhelmed with enemies; Chieftain Ufthak is particularly troublesome!

I will continue to try though

#19 faith_star83

faith_star83

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:49 PM

I had an easy ride to beat the Passage through Mirkwood with the Lore deck several times...but the tactics deck! It's so weak?!

I just never had enough willpower to do any progress on the quests and thus locations kept stacking up in the staging area. The few enemies that turned up to allow Legolas to put quest-markers on the quest, were all buffered by the active locations (since you cannot ignore them with like a combined willpower of 4). Allies are few and number and have zero willpower.

I really like the mechanic though, advancing quests by killing of enemies, but it just doesn't work if you draw 2-3 locations. I always end up with the staging area cluttered up with locations, denying any quest-attempts and thus raising  the threat level to 50 with lightning speed.

#20 DrNate

DrNate

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 02:40 PM

I almost had success with the Lore Deck. Gandalf got discarded from my hand and I believe that this is the only thing that killed me off. 

My corruption was in the 40's, but I was at the second step of the quest and had ample allies in play. There were a lot of locations in play, I never drew many actual enemy cards. I did have Spawn, but he was thoroughly snared and ready to be killed when we got to the third quest.  

I piled on the willpower, exhausted almost everyone, with the intent of flying past Fork in the road, and hoping for the "Kill Ungolant's Spawn" quest...Then drew the Treachery card that does one damage to every exhausted character. In that instant I lost two heroes, about five allies, and my willpower went from 12 to 5. I ate 5 corruption, my dial reached 50 and it exploded. 

I'm sure that if I had packed my deck with more Gandalfs, I would have won, somehow. Regardless, Lore isn't a bad deck. Just not quite to my taste the way Leadership is. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS