faith_star83

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 02:55 PM

Forest Snare
Type: Attachment Sphere: Lore
Cost: 3
Item. Trap.
Attach to an enemy engaged with a player.
Attached enemy cannot attack.

(Thanks a lot to cardgamedb.com)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

So when I played my lore deck I made great use of the forest snare. Awesome card. But what happens to Shadow Cards?

The rules say to deal the shadow cards "at the beginning of the combat phase" (p.18) to each enemy that is engaged. Then the rules go on to "Resolving Enemy Attacks".

1. Choose an enemy. The first player chooses which attack (among the enemies to which he is engaged) to resolve first.

2. Declare defender.

3. Resolve shadow effect.

4. Determine combat damage.

Ok, so my problem was that I don't know which (if any) of these combat steps an enemy that cannot attack goes through. Is just step 4 skipped? That would mean I still have to declare a defender...but since the enemy cannot attack that doesn't make much sense. But if we skip through all the combat steps, what happens to the shadow card dealt at the beginning of the phase?

The way I played was, that I dealt shadow cards and revealed them and played the shadow effect anyway. But I don't think that's right. Following the rules probably the enemy just keeps the shadow cards and once / if he gets rid of the trap they all trigger at the third combat step. Is that how we should play this? On top of things I drew Ungloianth's Spawn as a Shadow card for the Snared Enemy (while playing the Passage Through Mirkwood quest). That's basically why I decided to play the shadow effects and discard the shadow cards anyway.

Anybody had a similar problem already?

#2 Bohemond

Bohemond

• Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 03:20 PM

The monster never attacks, so it doesn't go through any of these steps.  You never select it, you never chose if you want to defend, and, most importantly, the monster does not get a shadow card.

#3 faith_star83

faith_star83

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 03:30 PM

I agree this would be the best solution, but the rules aren't very clear on this (cf first two paragraphs on p18). But I guess common sense dictates us to play it the way you suggest. Thanks or the insight.

Btw, love Forest Snare. It basically defeats an enemy for three. Since he is engaged, his Threat Strength doesn't count anymore, but he'll also not attack anyway! Trapped in the forest for good Gotta love them rangers!

#4 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 03:34 PM

faith_star83 said:

I agree this would be the best solution, but the rules aren't very clear on this (cf first two paragraphs on p18). But I guess common sense dictates us to play it the way you suggest. Thanks or the insight.

Btw, love Forest Snare. It basically defeats an enemy for three. Since he is engaged, his Threat Strength doesn't count anymore, but he'll also not attack anyway! Trapped in the forest for good Gotta love them rangers!

Forest Snare helped me and a friend not get brutally murdered during the Anduin scenario.

#5 Bohemond

Bohemond

• Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 03:36 PM

Only down side of forest snare is that, in general, the enemy gets to attack once before you can use it.  but, yes, it is a solid card.

#6 jhaelen

jhaelen

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:40 AM

faith_star83 said:

I've been wondering about that as well. I think technically you draw one Shadow card for each monster but the card is then discarded without being revealed.

#7 Acererak

Acererak

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:54 AM

jhaelen said:

faith_star83 said:

I've been wondering about that as well. I think technically you draw one Shadow card for each monster but the card is then discarded without being revealed.

I agree.

The Shadow card gets drawn since this is done before any step of combat start.

It surely won´t get played since that step is in the middle of the attack which that enemy couldn´t start.

My guess it´s just discard it at the end of the phase with no effect.

#8 CrowOfPyke

CrowOfPyke

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 07:00 AM

Acererak said:

jhaelen said:

faith_star83 said:

I agree.

The Shadow card gets drawn since this is done before any step of combat start.

I disagree.  Drawing an Encounter card for its Shadow Effect is part of "Resolving Enemy Attacks".  But the enemy cannot attack thanks to Forest Snare.  Therefore there is no "Resolving Enemy Attacks", which means no Encounter card is drawn for its Shadow Effect.

#9 monkeylite

monkeylite

• Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 07:15 AM

CrowOfPyke said:

I disagree.  Drawing an Encounter card for its Shadow Effect is part of "Resolving Enemy Attacks".  But the enemy cannot attack thanks to Forest Snare.  Therefore there is no "Resolving Enemy Attacks", which means no Encounter card is drawn for its Shadow Effect.

'Deal 1 shadow card to each enemy' (p.31) is the very first thing of the combat phase before any talk of resolving enemy attacks.

#10 PWBrian

PWBrian

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 07:24 AM

monkeylite said:

CrowOfPyke said:

'Deal 1 shadow card to each enemy' (p.31) is the very first thing of the combat phase before any talk of resolving enemy attacks.

Yes, but resolving the shadow card is part of the attack.  So, it seems like it would either be pointless to attach a shadow card, or it would be a means of removing cards from the encounter deck.

#11 monkeylite

monkeylite

• Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 07:28 AM

PWBrian said:

Yes, but resolving the shadow card is part of the attack.  So, it seems like it would either be pointless to attach a shadow card, or it would be a means of removing cards from the encounter deck.

Sure, I think it would be mostly pointless.

#12 Brad Harrington

Brad Harrington

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:44 AM

From Rulebook on Page 18:

At the beginning of the combat phase, the players deal 1 Shadow card to each engaged enemy.

This occurs before you choose an enemies attack to resolve. The only time the shadow card gets flipped face up is during step 3 of Resolving Enemy Attacks, so if the enemy cannot attack (Forest Snare or Feint) it will never get turned face up and resolve.

From the Rulebook on page 20:

Shadow cards remain on the enemy to which they were dealt throughout the combat phase. If that enemy leaves play, discard its shadow card from play. At the end of the combat phase, discard all shadow cards that were dealt this round.

Nothing specific here about face-up or face-down. If there is a shadow card on the table at the end of the combat phase it gets discarded.

#13 Casamyr

Casamyr

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:53 AM

With the ruling At the start of the combat phase, players deal 1 shadow card to each engaged enemy is the key. This will be a tough one  to interpret until an offical errata comes out. Since a critter is engaged with a hero, by the letter of the rules it must be dealt a card.

However the rules also state that text on cards trumps any written rules in the book. By that rationale I'd argue that enemies with Snare or Feint on them do not get shadow cards since they are no longer in the combat

#14 Acererak

Acererak

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:17 AM

Casamyr said:

With the ruling At the start of the combat phase, players deal 1 shadow card to each engaged enemy is the key. This will be a tough one  to interpret until an offical errata comes out. Since a critter is engaged with a hero, by the letter of the rules it must be dealt a card.

However the rules also state that text on cards trumps any written rules in the book. By that rationale I'd argue that enemies with Snare or Feint on them do not get shadow cards since they are no longer in the combat

It doesn´t say they are not in the combat. It says they cannot attack. There is a big difference.

Mainly the one that let YOU attack them. ;-)

#15 Iron-on Ghost

Iron-on Ghost

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:11 PM

PWBrian said:

monkeylite said:

CrowOfPyke said:

well you can't play event cards until you have initiated the first step of the attack anyway. So no matter what that card is being dealt.

"Players may play event cards and take
actions at the end of each step." (Pg. 18 of the LotR LCG Rulebook)

See link for further discussion on this issue because it is not card specific it is more of a question on general rules obscurity.

www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp

#16 faith_star83

faith_star83

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:40 PM

I think Brad Harrington makes a good call here! Upon reading everything again I'd also say the correct way to proceed is to:

1. Deal Shadow card

2. Skip Attack steps

3. Attack enemies

4. Discard all Shadow cards

Timing for Feint are a different issue, but since Forest Snare is an attachment it can only be played in the Planning Phase anyway.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS