Different art for Gandalf?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 servant of the secret fire

servant of the secret fire

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 02:04 PM

I saw Gandalf's search card and i think that wen you look Gandalf and Gandalf's search card is like you don't see the same person.Anyone has the same opinion or it is only my idea?

#2 Tiziano

Tiziano

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:58 AM

I don't have the two cards in hand yet, but maybe, as an illustrator, I can help a bit.

When we get assigned work we are given a title and a short description, so, for instance an art order could be:

' Fleeting as  Smoke' : Gandalf (old man dressed in gray with long beard and a wide brimmed hat) sitting under a tree smoking a pipe (this description is made up, not a real card).

We don't see our collegues' work and are told very clearly to stay away from any kind of movie reference, so the only thing sure is that Gandalf will not look like Sir Ian McKellen.

If there are 3 different cards featuring Gandalf and they get assigned to different illustrators, each of them will paint his/her own interpretation, depending on how we visualize the character. The basic will stay the same, but the details will change, just like an edition of 'The Hobbit' illustrated by the Hildebrandt brothers will have a different flavor than one illustrated by Alan Lee.  

#3 Acererak

Acererak

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:26 AM

Nice info, thanks for sharing Tiziano.

And congrats on Beravor.  What a nice illustration. One of my favorites, really. Hope you have some more coming!

Cheers

#4 Tiziano

Tiziano

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:40 PM

You are welcome, Acererak.

Thank you for your appreciation, :). Yes, I have more art in the game, hope you'll like it.

#5 servant of the secret fire

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 03:42 AM

Tiziano said:

I don't have the two cards in hand yet, but maybe, as an illustrator, I can help a bit.

When we get assigned work we are given a title and a short description, so, for instance an art order could be:

' Fleeting as  Smoke' : Gandalf (old man dressed in gray with long beard and a wide brimmed hat) sitting under a tree smoking a pipe (this description is made up, not a real card).

We don't see our collegues' work and are told very clearly to stay away from any kind of movie reference, so the only thing sure is that Gandalf will not look like Sir Ian McKellen.

If there are 3 different cards featuring Gandalf and they get assigned to different illustrators, each of them will paint his/her own interpretation, depending on how we visualize the character. The basic will stay the same, but the details will change, just like an edition of 'The Hobbit' illustrated by the Hildebrandt brothers will have a different flavor than one illustrated by Alan Lee.  

Thanks a lot for the replay.

I know that you can't use any kind of movie reference and i knew from the begining that i will not see Gandalf looks like Ian McKellen.But the art of Gandalf is different on those 2 cards thats why i was confused.A good idea could be if they assigned the art of one character on all cards to the same person but who cares the art is very beautiful and you did a great job especially with Beravor.

Sorry for my English.

#6 Tiziano

Tiziano

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 05:34 AM

servant of the secret fire said:

A good idea could be if they assigned the art of one character on all cards to the same person

True, and sometimes it is done, just like sometimes characters that are brothers are assigned to the same person, but it's not always possible.

An illustrator may be wonderful with characters but bad with horses, for instance, so s/he would not be good for a mounted Gandalf but great for a walking or standing one, or the one who has painted a character in the core set may not be available when a card with the same character comes up in a series of adventure packs (or in a round of additional cards needed in the core set), or there might be 4 different cards portraying a specific character, while the illustrator who according to the Art Director is the best fit has asked to be given three illustrations at the most (we are all free-lancers, working for multiple clients and on multiple projects at any given time).

Do not misunderstand me, your opinion and your suggestion are perfectly valid, I just meant to point out that managing this kind of project and assigning the art for it is a bit like juggling blindfolded.

Thank you very much for your appreciation and your kind words on my work, it means a lot. :)

#7 Baenre

Baenre

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 05:43 AM

Tiziano said:

That's why this games art is so wonderful at the same time.  Soem real creativity versus trying to make characters look like people form movies.

BTW: Yourself and all the artists involved with this game created some truly magnificent artwork.  I spent the first hour just looking at all the cards art it was so beautiful. 

#8 servant of the secret fire

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 09:37 AM

Tiziano said:

servant of the secret fire said:

Do not misunderstand me, your opinion and your suggestion are perfectly valid, I just meant to point out that managing this kind of project and assigning the art for it is a bit like juggling blindfolded.

Thank you very much for your appreciation and your kind words on my work, it means a lot. :)

Don't worry i can understand excactly what you say.Once again excelent job and we wait for more.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS