Storyline / Scenario speculations

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 faith_star83

faith_star83

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:12 PM

I know some people might not like speculation, but I think it's quite interesting to hear other people's thoughts and speculations. It's also great to have some atmosphere while waiting for the last (10?) days until the release of the core set!

So I wonder what you guys think might come after the Shadows of Mirkwood cycle? We already have the wish list thread where everybody posted what they hope to see, but in this thread I would like to try and elaborate what storylines there might be to provide for another cycle (considering timeline and story progressing). I am no expert on Tolkien lore and Middle-Earth so I hope for some insights from more knowledgable people.

Ok, let's start. My first thought was, that considering the Shadows of Mirkwood cycle deals with the Hunt for Gollum, there might as well be a cycle about Gandalf and his search for the One Ring (someone already mentioned this in the wish list thread) since it would fall in the time between the Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. Maybe we will even see Gandalf as a Hero? Kind of a change of perspective...(Is it even possible in a LCG to have the same character be printed as ally and hero? Or will we never see Gandalf as a Hero because he's an ally in the core set?).

Let me know what you think.

#2 ClydeCloggie

ClydeCloggie

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:33 PM

I will assume that future expansions will continue where the last one ended. So after the sixth adventure pack, we'll be back in Thranduil's Halls in Mirkwood.

From there, the heroes could go east and north towards Dale, the Lonely Mountain, and even further into the Grey Mountains. That could mean Dragons.

South is the way towards Gondor and Ithilien, where we could face the build-up of Sauron's forces, maybe with some spying quests into Mordor. We may have to pay Shelob a visit, although I personally think that's unlikely as the designers may want to move away from Spiders for the next cycle. Gondor itself is still fairly safe at this time, though, so it's hard to see where the big threats will be coming from if the action doesn't move towards Mordor.

To the south-west we have Isengard and Fangorn...Saruman and the Ents.

To the west, we could go over the Misty Mountains (via Moria or Redhorn Pass) towards Rivendell and on to The Shire, but it would mean going through Mirkwood once again. Of course, the designers could choose to leave this bit out of the narrative and start from Lorien...

Actually, that's my bet: a cycle starting from Lorien, moving west over or under the Misty Mountains, to Rivendell. And obviously such an itinerary would not ignore Moria...I'm thinking we might see the Balrog, Durin's Bane, within a year or so.

#3 faith_star83

faith_star83

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:38 AM

wow...thanks for the very detailled explorations!

I also don't think that we will see much of spiders and forest in the next adventure pack cycle, but I have the impression that its too early for moria. Actually, I am not sure and - as mentioned - am not too familiar with details of the storyline, but did anybody venture into these mines before the fellowship went there? wasn't gimli still thinking his cousin was living there and gandalf didn't remember the password?

Anyway, Mines of Moria would be predestined as the first deluxe expansion. Considering that the current cycle seems to feature a lot of elves and rohirim we might see some gondor or dwarf action!

I really wonder if we might still get a gandalf hero version, though ;-)

#4 servant of the secret fire

servant of the secret fire

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:33 AM

faith_star83 said:

wow...thanks for the very detailled explorations!

I also don't think that we will see much of spiders and forest in the next adventure pack cycle, but I have the impression that its too early for moria. Actually, I am not sure and - as mentioned - am not too familiar with details of the storyline, but did anybody venture into these mines before the fellowship went there? wasn't gimli still thinking his cousin was living there and gandalf didn't remember the password?

Anyway, Mines of Moria would be predestined as the first deluxe expansion. Considering that the current cycle seems to feature a lot of elves and rohirim we might see some gondor or dwarf action!

I really wonder if we might still get a gandalf hero version, though ;-)

Ok a quick journey threw Kazad-Dum.

In the year 1980 of the third age Dwarves dug too much and deep and they unleashed the Balrog who killed DurinVI (THE KING).In the next year Nain Durins son tried to take back Kazad-Dum but he lost and Dwarves fled from their home.

After those events for 500 years  Balrog lurked alone and later Sauron directed orcs and trolls from Mordor to Moria.After that we have the battle of dwarves and orcs in year 2994 at the east gate of  Moria.Dwarves were victorious but they could not reclaim Moria cause Balrog was still there.

Except those events we have Gandalf's journey to Moria somewhere between the years 2841-2941 and also Aragorn did a secret journey to Moria but i don't remember the year now.

#5 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:19 PM

I'd like some hot withered heath action, and Moria, and Ithilien.  And the area surrounding Bree. And Gundabad.

#6 The_Big_Show

The_Big_Show

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:59 AM

I'd love to have Moria as an expansion. That would be so cool. But I'd also want to see other areas of Middle Earth covered such as Cardolan, Angmar, Mordor itself (that should be the toughest story to complete), Dagolad and the Dead Marshes. I'm sure we'll get them but just making hopeful suggestions that all areas of Middle Earth will see some love from FFG,

#7 Frank6

Frank6

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:15 AM

ClydeCloggie said:

To the west, we could go over the Misty Mountains (via Moria or Redhorn Pass) towards Rivendell and on to The Shire, but it would mean going through Mirkwood once again. Of course, the designers could choose to leave this bit out of the narrative and start from Lorien...

Actually, that's my bet: a cycle starting from Lorien, moving west over or under the Misty Mountains, to Rivendell. And obviously such an itinerary would not ignore Moria...I'm thinking we might see the Balrog, Durin's Bane, within a year or so. 

+ 1

#8 Watcher

Watcher

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 06:53 AM

The_Big_Show said:

I'd love to have Moria as an expansion. That would be so cool. But I'd also want to see other areas of Middle Earth covered such as Cardolan, Angmar, Mordor itself (that should be the toughest story to complete), Dagolad and the Dead Marshes. I'm sure we'll get them but just making hopeful suggestions that all areas of Middle Earth will see some love from FFG,

Yes, I bet Moria will be an entire expansion set, as will Mordor (which I see being a couple years down the line).

Jeez Louise, there are so many cool ideas and possibilities I don't know what we'll see! Or what I'd like to see first!

#9 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,774 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 10:17 PM

as ive said in another post, i hope dale, erebor, misty mountains, will be there

also there Angmar with the witch king, you could have in the Barrow Wieghts, the old  forest with Old man willow and Tom Bombadil

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS