Jump to content



Photo

Rules Q&A


  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 J-Tech

J-Tech

    Member

  • Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 11:57 AM

After my first playthrough of the game, a couple of questions popped up...

1) Can you blockade the bonus from a Barracks in a city? Or does the +2 bonus apply regardless of whether enemy units are in that square?

2) The Hanging Gardens - Is this ability triggered for every Start of Turn phase of the game? So there's no cost involved, I simply place a figure if I have one available every turn? The reason for my incredulity is that I was playing the Egyptians and managed to pull this as my starting Wonder. It just seemed a little too good...



#2 Fnoffen

Fnoffen

    Member

  • Members
  • 550 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 06:18 PM

J-Tech said:

 

After my first playthrough of the game, a couple of questions popped up...

1) Can you blockade the bonus from a Barracks in a city? Or does the +2 bonus apply regardless of whether enemy units are in that square?

 

 

As i interpret the rules any and all resources (including military bonus) would be transferred to one of your cities, making it a 4 battle bonus difference. -2 for him and +2 for you.

J-Tech said:

 

2) The Hanging Gardens - Is this ability triggered for every Start of Turn phase of the game? So there's no cost involved, I simply place a figure if I have one available every turn? The reason for my incredulity is that I was playing the Egyptians and managed to pull this as my starting Wonder. It just seemed a little too good...

 

 

The ability IS triggered EVERY start of turn. And at no cost other than the construction cost of the wonder itself. It might seem OP and all but the other players always have the option of researching a tech that let's them obsolete the hanging gardens. If obsoleted it would stop producing armies/scouts but would still give you culture when you devote to the arts in the city with the gardens. Besides, a big bunch of armies early on in the game is not THAT much use if you don't build units to match.


Pax Magnifica Bellum Gloriosum


#3 MegaBearsFan

MegaBearsFan

    Member

  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:51 AM

Fnoffen said:

The ability IS triggered EVERY start of turn. And at no cost other than the construction cost of the wonder itself. It might seem OP and all but the other players always have the option of researching a tech that let's them obsolete the hanging gardens. If obsoleted it would stop producing armies/scouts but would still give you culture when you devote to the arts in the city with the gardens. Besides, a big bunch of armies early on in the game is not THAT much use if you don't build units to match.

 

 

It is also worth noting that if you "blockade" the tile containing the Hanging Gardens with one of your own Army or Scout figures, your opponent would lost the ability of the Wonder, as described on page 27 of the rule book ("Blockades"). If your opponent does seem to be getting an overwhelming advantage from the Hanging Gardens, and you lack the tech/resources/culture card required to obsolete it, you can always try to blockade it with one of your figures. But be prepared to fight over it...



#4 muk

muk

    Member

  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:42 PM

Check both the FAQ and UFAQ. People answering question should too:
Millitary bonus is not a resource, so your scout cannot transfer it from enemy barracks, but still you block all of its benefits, including the the +2/+4 strength



#5 Fnoffen

Fnoffen

    Member

  • Members
  • 550 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 01:57 AM

Unless of course the +2/+4 bonuses counts as icons. Quoting the FAQ:

"Q. Can scouts gather icons and/or resources from squares containing buildings or wonders?
A. Yes. If you have a scout in the outskirts of an enemy city on top of a building or wonder, then you both deny your opponent the icons and/or resources in that square, and may also send them home to one of your cities"


Pax Magnifica Bellum Gloriosum


#6 Fnoffen

Fnoffen

    Member

  • Members
  • 550 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:29 AM

Strike my last response. An official answer has come my way. Military bonus is apparently an exception from the normal rules. They may still be blockaded but not stolen.

 I bow in shame.


Pax Magnifica Bellum Gloriosum





© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS