3+ command card hand?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Thuddeus

Thuddeus

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 05:59 PM

I'm sure this is in the rules somewhere. I played an epic scenario that called for 3+ command cards for each player. What does the "+" mean? I assume that it means there is some way to increase my command card hand as the game progresses. What triggers the increase? In M44s Market Garden overlord scenario increased command card hands are triggered by kills. Is it the same here? Thanks.

BTW, my daughter and I played The Caliphate's Enforcer. Her dwarves were too much for my goblins and spider. She won 7-5. Tomorrow, the rematch.

#2 caradoc

caradoc

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 06:16 PM

3+ usually refers to the fact that your hand of command cards is influenced by the level of your commander on the War Council.  The base number (with no commander) is 3 cards - and this number increases if you have a level 1, 2 or 3 commander (or higher) on your council. 

The increased number of cards you get reflect having a more competant leader/tactician present - and you get the full hand of cards (3 or more depending on the level of your commander) from the beginning of the game to the end.

Cheers,

Giles.

Edit: And congrats to your daughter!   My wife consistantly thrashes me!

#3 Thuddeus

Thuddeus

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 05:09 AM

Thanks, Giles. I thought War Council level might have something to do with it, but since both players are supposed to have WC level 6, I didn't understand why the command hand didn't just say 6. But now it makes sense.

We never play using War Councils so we aren't familiar with the rules. We randomly decided to use 5 card hands, which worked just fine - for my daughter.

#4 caradoc

caradoc

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:44 AM

Ha!

With a War Council level of six you are able to split those six levels between your War Council members (Commander, Warrior, Rogue, Wizard, Priest, Creature).  This of course dictates what Lore cards make up the deck and how powerful a spell is when cast by your Councilor.

Lore adds some fun twists to the game - certainly worth playing with in my view!  But if you don't want to use it I'd do what you did - 5 Command Cards per player (minus 1 if they have a creature perhaps - because the penalty for having one is built into the level they take up on the war council rather than the balance of units on the board).

But that shouldn't have too much of an impact whatever you decide.

Hope you guys are having fun!  I can't wait to play this with my son if he's interested when he's older (fingers crossed  ) - currently it's one of my favourite games!

Cheers,

Giles.

#5 awayputurwpn

awayputurwpn

• Members
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 02:34 AM

Ditto to that....my son is 7 months but already it seems he's interested in my BattleLore miniatures...and Star Wars miniatures...and spoons, and broken glass, and pieces of lint, but here's hoping that he will refine his tastes as he grows :)

#6 Thuddeus

Thuddeus

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:15 AM

caradoc said:

Ha!

With a War Council level of six you are able to split those six levels between your War Council members (Commander, Warrior, Rogue, Wizard, Priest, Creature).  This of course dictates what Lore cards make up the deck and how powerful a spell is when cast by your Councilor.

Lore adds some fun twists to the game - certainly worth playing with in my view!  But if you don't want to use it I'd do what you did - 5 Command Cards per player (minus 1 if they have a creature perhaps - because the penalty for having one is built into the level they take up on the war council rather than the balance of units on the board).

But that shouldn't have too much of an impact whatever you decide.

Hope you guys are having fun!  I can't wait to play this with my son if he's interested when he's older (fingers crossed  ) - currently it's one of my favourite games!

Cheers,

Giles.

We use Lore and the Medieval Lore Deck. We just find the council thing a little fiddly. I love the Lore cards, especially when I get to save 16 lore and spring the Assault card. A card like that, late in the game, can wipe the smile right off your opponent's face. It wipes the smile off my face every time it gets sprung on me!

When my girls were small they ate my minis. Later they used them as dolls. Now we stage plastic combat. Your time will come.

#7 toddrew

toddrew

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 04:31 AM

Thuddeus said:

We use Lore and the Medieval Lore Deck. We just find the council thing a little fiddly.

Just  a suggestion for a "modified war council" for Medieval Lore games would be to go with 2-4 levels to apply to the commander and creature handler to go along with the rest of the Medieval Lore rules.  Good way to work creatures into the games while still using Medieval Lore - if that's something one is looking to do :)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS