Just a Few Quck Questions for an Epic Game

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 WC4J

WC4J

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 02:58 AM

Just want to start and say Civlization the Board Game is amazing. The rules are quite clear, I was able to figure most of it out within 1 reading of the rules and a test play. I have only a few rule questions that I didn't quite understand, maybe you can help. Thanks.

1)   Battles: From what I understand, everyone must play all their units in their hand size in a battle. If this is true, what exactly happens if both players, for some reason, simply choose not to attack each other (simply opening up new fronts). Would it just be a tie and the defender gets the victory?

2)  Battles: Can you play a unit on top of one of your dead units in a battle? For example, if my mounted unit is killed by a mounted unit, and he receives 2 wounds, can I then play an infantry on top of my dead mounted unit to kill the wounded mounted unit?

3) Tech Tree: Can you really play any techs you would like as long as there are legal spots in the pyramid? So you could theoretically completely skip the railroad, steam power, and end up getting Atomic theory in Level 4?

4) Culture: Are culture events just the cards that you get from moving up the culture track? So when a card says "Cancel any culture event", does that mean you can nullify/cancel another player's card?

Thank you!

#2 Abyad

Abyad

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:56 AM

1)   Battles: From what I understand, everyone must play all their units in their hand size in a battle. If this is true, what exactly happens if both players, for some reason, simply choose not to attack each other (simply opening up new fronts). Would it just be a tie and the defender gets the victory?

If this happens, it's no different from other battles. Each player just counts the strength of their units and if one of them has a combat bonus he adds this also. The one with the highest amount wins, if it's a tie the defender wins.

2)  Battles: Can you play a unit on top of one of your dead units in a battle? For example, if my mounted unit is killed by a mounted unit, and he receives 2 wounds, can I then play an infantry on top of my dead mounted unit to kill the wounded mounted unit?

You have to remove any killed unit, so this opens up the front again.

3) Tech Tree: Can you really play any techs you would like as long as there are legal spots in the pyramid? So you could theoretically completely skip the railroad, steam power, and end up getting Atomic theory in Level 4?

Yes.

4) Culture: Are culture events just the cards that you get from moving up the culture track? So when a card says "Cancel any culture event", does that mean you can nullify/cancel another player's card?

Yes, but only when you're being targeted, you can't cancel a culture event if you are not the target. The intent is that you can't mess with an event if it's not affecting you.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS