Big box board expansion hate?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 bitva

bitva

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 08:24 AM

I've seen a good number of posts against the release of big box board expansion after Innsmouth is put out. The main reason seems to be that there's not enough space to play with 5 boards and it becomes impractical. Another issue I've seen is card stack dilution, although that argument could used for any expansion, not just board expansions.

But if a board expansion is released, do you feel so compelled to use it with all other available boards that you'd rather not have it at all than simply leave a board out, or just use the base board and the new board alone?

I'm in the camp that would rather there continue to be board expansions, even if I can't use them all at once. I think I would tire quickly of having only card expansions coming out. Where do you sit on this issue?

Ignorance if futile. Resistance is bliss.

#2 ColtsFan76

ColtsFan76

Rules Guru

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 10:05 AM

I would prefer they stop after Innsmouth.  Moreso than just haveing yet another board to deal with, i think the ideas for new boards are getting a bit stale. 

I would rather they take the line in a new direction. instead of being shoe-horned in with what they have done so far.

#3 Mykayel

Mykayel

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 11:07 AM

I hate to sound like an idiot but...THEiER MAKING AN INNSMOUTH EXPANSION???? AWESOME! A Shadow Over Innsmouth is one of my favorite Lovecraft stories.

Anyway, I was wondering why they didn't make that, looks like they read my mind. :P As for the reason this topic even exists:
I'd also prefer they keep making board expansions because they add even more diversity to the game. Nobody tells you to actualy use two or more board expansions at once. The same goes with the card decks, you should only use ONE expansion over the base game at a time, otherwise they cancel each other out. I for one can't wait until Innsmouth is released.

#4 StarBurn

StarBurn

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 01:01 PM

It's an annoyance to people like me, who somehow feel that they are not getting all the game could offer without using all the boards/cards/investigators etc.

#5 ColtsFan76

ColtsFan76

Rules Guru

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 03:56 PM

StarBurn said:

It's an annoyance to people like me, who somehow feel that they are not getting all the game could offer without using all the boards/cards/investigators etc.

And while this isn't fair to teh rest, it is also an annoyance to people like me, who somehow feel compelled to buy every expansion.  So cooling the big boxes after Innsmouth would really help my budget. 

#6 PearlJamaholic

PearlJamaholic

• Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 08:11 PM

where else could they go after innsmouth though? dunwich, kingsport, and innsmouth are pretty much all the towns outside of arkham. unless they start making up their own towns. card expansions though could go awhile. since it seems they all focus on an ancient one, maybe a yog based one next??

#7 Mykayel

Mykayel

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 02:32 AM

I'd be intrested to see an Expansion based on "At The Mountains Of Madness" or maybe on "Pickman's Model". Two of my favorite Lovecraft stories, but you do know that doing At The Mountains Of Madness will probably result in another board (that I can see some people here hate the ideea off) with the ancinet city a top of the mountain, the cave where they find the Elder Ones etc.

#8 PearlJamaholic

PearlJamaholic

• Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:05 AM

from a story point of view how would you get to the mountains of madness? taken the time period of game youd have to take a boat and that would take weeks, by then everything in arkham would be finished, youd have to sit out like 3 turns at least....

they could make a whole new basegame using other regions, if you take mountains of madness being in antartica, shadown out of time in australia and the city of r'lyeh being in the south pacific near australia, they could make a worldly arkham horror of sorts. instead of gates you visit these areas that exist on this plane.

#9 Huitzil

Huitzil

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 12:50 AM

PearlJamaholic said:

they could make a whole new basegame using other regions, if you take mountains of madness being in antartica, shadown out of time in australia and the city of r'lyeh being in the south pacific near australia, they could make a worldly arkham horror of sorts. instead of gates you visit these areas that exist on this plane.

Okay, really liking that idea! I was looking over an Antarctica Expansion that someone had made over on BoardGameGeek, and the geographical themes look really good. You'd need to chuck in an Egyptian one for good measure, it could work well with the Dark Pharaoh cards for a bit of crossver!

Alternatively, as I'm sure I'm repeating that someone else said somewhere else (sorry for lack of credit), they could do a board (or cards) based on another dimension, they'd have to be careful not to make it stupidly hard, but you could get some major clue token and unique item opportunities I think, and maybe cheap monster trophies!

I understand the people who want to put all the expansions together, that was my desire at first, but despite having a table large enough it does water everything down and make it  a mite daunting. I think I'm going to have to separate the expansions back out that I've already worked in and then play them as the 'touring exhibit' sort of option for different themed games. In which case, continuing employment income allowing, they can make as many expansions of any type as they want!

xx

#10 Kobu

Kobu

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:29 AM

Three expansion boards are all I could fit on my door, so I'm fine with stopping after IH.

I would like to see an expansion expansions to tie things together better.

#11 MightyAtom13

MightyAtom13

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:45 AM

I would love a Dream Quest of Unkown Kadath expansion. Not sure how it would work...

#12 spirit

spirit

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:30 PM

Mykayel said:

I'd be intrested to see an Expansion based on "At The Mountains Of Madness" or maybe on "Pickman's Model". Two of my favorite Lovecraft stories, but you do know that doing At The Mountains Of Madness will probably result in another board (that I can see some people here hate the ideea off) with the ancinet city a top of the mountain, the cave where they find the Elder Ones etc.

Actually this is exactly what I was thinking. They could also go into specific scenarios with them then. They could also change the method of play I guess. Have a chase mode or a hunt mode. Start off in one place with the GOO chasing you down and you need to make it to the other end of the board or you're hunting for the Werewolf and have to track it down. Different game mechanics but using the base game equipment. There's all sorts of possibilities still left open to them. Both with simple card expansions and board expansions.

#13 Halveric

Halveric

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:43 PM

Innsmouth board expansion?  Awesome!  I hadn't heard that yet.

I'm torn as to whether or not I would like more board expansions.  On one hand, having the expansion will would round out the three major towns outside of Arkham. It will allow for a larger game and more complexity, which is perfect for larger groups, or for those simply looking for a challenge. However, it's already quite a lot to manage with Kingsport and Dunwich. Not only that, but now I'll have to buy a larger dining table to fit it!  I'll reserve judgement until I can get a better sense of what they might do for these larger board expansions. . .

#14 jgt7771

jgt7771

Saving the world from cosmic evil since 2006

• Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 05:17 AM

I crave Innsmouth...ever since I popped out all the Base Game monster chits and wailed, "What?  No Deep Ones?  Nuts!"  And after three Forum Sites, it's pretty obvious that most of us have wanted an Innsmouth for a long time.  (Which is why FFG did Dunwich and Kingsport first.  $$$)  So not only would Innsmouth wrap up the Big Four of Lovecraft Country, but it would probably fulfill the lion's share of fan desire out there.  I would probably be fine if FFG quit with the Board Expansions at that point.

That said, I wouldn't mind if there were more, because I don't play with more than one Board Expansion at a time (not usually).  I find mixing and matching single Board and Card Expansions (the same way most mix and match Ancient Ones and Heralds) provides a great deal of "replayability"...as if Arkham Horror needs more of that.

What was that noise?

#15 Lindsey

Lindsey

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:15 PM

Some parts of the game would be easy enough to expand without messing things up -- More characters and GOOs, for example.  And certainly there should be some deep ones.  But in general I'd be more interested in seeing completely separate games which share the theme and some of the mechanics.

#16 bitva

bitva

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:04 PM

Although I said I would not like board expansions to stop, and despite not having read the literature, I certainly do not want them to make things up just to ake expansions. I want them to be true to the source material at all times.

Ignorance if futile. Resistance is bliss.

#17 PearlJamaholic

PearlJamaholic

• Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:46 PM

bitva said:

Although I said I would not like board expansions to stop, and despite not having read the literature, I certainly do not want them to make things up just to ake expansions. I want them to be true to the source material at all times.

well source material is pretty wide-open since there are like a million authors that have written mythos stuff. yig and ithaqua arent even lovecraft creations, and unless im mistaken the bloated woman and bloody tongue arent lovecrafts either. granted lovecraft did borrow from other writers, so i guess anything they wrote should be valid too.

#18 mylantus

mylantus

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 04:49 PM

I'd really like to see a new version of the game set in 1880's London, a "Cthulhu by Gaslight" type game.  Expansions could feature Paris, Berlin, mayby a Translyvania/Slavic type province.  We'd have Jack the Ripper, Sherlock Holmes, many new possibilities.  So many more ancient locations in Europe.  Maybe instead of other worlds you could take a train to certain locations, taking 3 turns instead of 2 to gain clues there.  Of course, the whole gate thing would have to be rethought then, but a shake up in the mechanics might be nice.

#19 Hand of Osiris

Hand of Osiris

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 12:38 PM

I do not buy the argument for "not another board expansion due to my kitchen table being too small".  No one forces you to play all the expansions at once, or you could buy a separate foldout card table for $100 (less at garage sale).

What I would REALLY like to see is an update on the original cards such that they are designed to synergize with the other expansions.  I would also like to see a full rewrite of the original rules to include the other rules.

And a few other tidbits that forum members have been either complaining about or have offered up to improve the game itself.

Ala what Warmachine did with their "Prime: Remix" core book.

Arhkam Horror hits solid doubles as a game.  If something is done, we can turn those doubles into homeruns (even if it means buying the base game again)

#20 2evill

2evill

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 03:38 PM

MightyAtom13 said:

I would love a Dream Quest of Unkown Kadath expansion. Not sure how it would work...

Ooh... extended dreamlands with it's own board the size of the original! Mwahahahahaaa!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS