"Find Gate" card

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Rodzilla68

Rodzilla68

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 02:30 PM

When do I use this card?  It says movement on it, so do I use it in addition to movement or instead of?  For example, if on my movement phase, I step on a gate and get sucked into the other world, can I play this card immediately and then if I pass the spell check, I get returned to the gate and then I would still have my normal Arkham encounter phase so I could potentially close a gate on the same turn I entered it??

#2 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,562 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 03:12 PM

You do not enter gates on the movement phase. You only move to them. Then, during the Arkham Encounter phase, if you're on a gate and don't have an Explored token, you enter the gate. This is a common misunderstanding.

Find Gate is used instead of normal movement. When you start your movement in the Other World, if you are not delayed, you may attempt to cast Find Gate. If you succeed, you return to Arkham (or go Lost in Time and Space if there are no valid exits). If you fail to cast the spell, you advance one space as normal.

If some effect actually does fling you into an Other World during movement phase (Nightgaunt, for example), this whole event replaces your movement and you can't use Find Gate. Essentially, to use this spell, you need to start movement in the Other World and must not be delayed at the start of said movement phase.

#3 Rodzilla68

Rodzilla68

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 04:07 PM

Tibs said:

You do not enter gates on the movement phase. You only move to them. Then, during the Arkham Encounter phase, if you're on a gate and don't have an Explored token, you enter the gate. This is a common misunderstanding.

Find Gate is used instead of normal movement. When you start your movement in the Other World, if you are not delayed, you may attempt to cast Find Gate. If you succeed, you return to Arkham (or go Lost in Time and Space if there are no valid exits). If you fail to cast the spell, you advance one space as normal.

If some effect actually does fling you into an Other World during movement phase (Nightgaunt, for example), this whole event replaces your movement and you can't use Find Gate. Essentially, to use this spell, you need to start movement in the Other World and must not be delayed at the start of said movement phase.

Thanks.  That clears things up.  Basically, that card let's you skip the right side of the Other World at the cost of 1 sanity.  :)

#4 Nameless1

Nameless1

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:01 PM

Tibs said:

Hi Tibs. I actually had cause to use Find Gate in my last game and failed. I also reasoned that it can be used instead of normal movement. However, with the failure I thought that I had lost my opportunity to move from left to right in the Otherworld. Therefore I stayed in the left.

It didn't seem right to me to move - I had afterall spent time casting the spell instead of...well moving.

#5 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,562 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 03:04 AM

The "instead of moving" part only works when the spell is successfully cast. I assume that you tried to cast the spell, which probably didn't take that long to do. When the spell didn't work, you paused for a moment in frustration, and then continued your search for another way home.

#6 Nameless1

Nameless1

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 04:23 AM

Tibs said:

The "instead of moving" part only works when the spell is successfully cast. I assume that you tried to cast the spell, which probably didn't take that long to do. When the spell didn't work, you paused for a moment in frustration, and then continued your search for another way home.

I bow to the consesus on this - if the scenario ever comes up I'll move on failing a Find Gate Cast.

Thanks Tibs.

#7 satanito

satanito

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 09:01 AM

One question that i always forget with this card: after you return to Arkham using find gate, can you close the gate in the same turn during the encounter phase?

#8 EcnoTheNeato

EcnoTheNeato

• Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 10:23 AM

Since you have an explored token, and the movement phase comes BEFORE the encounters phase: Yes. Unless something is preventing you. But what would be preventing you that doesn't specifically say so, already?

#9 Dale Hurtt

Dale Hurtt

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 11:37 AM

@Nameless1 - If it ever come up again and someone challenges you that you lose the turn's movement, the answer is in the rules.

Page 16: "If the spell check fails the spell has no effect." That applies to this idea of "instead of movement". You are not casting a spell instead of movement, you are simply attempting to cast during that phase. If it fails, nothing happens (save the SAN loss, which is explicitly stated). Further on Page 8 it states that in the Other World you have no movement points; "movement" from left half to right simply occurs. So, even if someone challenges you that you lose your movement by casting the spell, there are no movement points to lose, and the movement from left to right costs no movement. They put these statements in for a reason. (Mostly for rules lawyers like me.)

Dale

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS