City Expansion

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#1 Galahad

Galahad

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 07:20 AM

What are your opinions on the sorts of expansions you would like to see? Does anyone have anything specific in mind?

Personally, the one expansion that would make the 4th Edition a joy to play would be an extra board for the city, just like in my old 1st Edition. I'm hoping they will think about it... I get tired questing constantly and it would be great to visit a blacksmith to upgrade weapons or the apothecary for a vitamin boost.

#2 Blueboi72

Blueboi72

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 09:51 AM

I would love to see the city expansion as well.  In particular i loved the 2nd edition version & something along the same lines would be very much appreciated (along with a new 4th Ed twist!).

Also i think an essential release would be the 'Dungeon'.  This has always proved the most popular location in my games of Talisman 2nd & 3rd editions over the years - & for me is a must!

Finally i feel that the 4th edition needs something new in the same way the 3rd edition had the likes of the 'Forest' realm.  This simply makes the edition more unique in its own way.  I know we have the 'Reaper' expansion - which is great & does add something new - but a completely new board that has never been seen before really excites in my opinion!!!

#3 Roy

Roy

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 11:01 AM

I didn;t like the city expansion because it had flaws, but once house ruled it wasn't as bad.  You would also spend way too much time there getting away from the main essence of the game.  The "super" characters concept was too powerful, and 2 of them were just too easy to obtain. 

I do hope if they re-release it they make it fix up all the issues.  I think it was better in third edition.

I would like to see the dungeon, but instead of possibly winning by rolling a six and going to CC, you could randomly get treasures that would help you win when you get there (+1 to crown of command rolls, can roll crown of commad twice and a mix of powerful and not so powerful items).

Something like Timescape would be allright, as long as they got rid of the space theme.

I would like to see some new themed expansions, like an undead theme etc.  I was expecting the Reaper to have an undead theme to it, but it more so a combination of Adventure and Expansion cards with a silly figure.

#4 jasonk

jasonk

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 03:45 AM

i would like to see something with another crown of command. a seperate place to conquer so that maybe two characters could battle eachother from their own crown of command. this would give the game more strategy and not make it so obvious that one character was on their way to the top. what'dya think.

#5 jasonk

jasonk

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 03:54 AM

...or maybe different types of talismans, that could be spent to counter an attack from the crown of command.

#6 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:50 AM

The board i like the most is the forest realm. I hope it will return one day.

I like the mountains and dungeons too !

But the only problem is the main board. It's too big !

If they made expansions with boards,then there is not enough room to put it on the table ! lol

#7 Mattr0polis

Mattr0polis

• Members
  • 820 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:27 AM

Velhart said:

If they made expansions with boards,then there is not enough room to put it on the table ! lol

This is why I hope they take a hint from 3rd Edition if they do add new boards, and make them fit nicely around the corners of the main board.

#8 Mattr0polis

Mattr0polis

• Members
  • 820 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:37 AM

I definitely love the idea of most of the old expansions for 2e and 3e returning eventually for 4.5e, along with new creations from FFG, but yeah there was definitely a lot of stuff that needs fixed/updated if they do this. Like Roy said with the City expansion, the super characters were probably too powerful and some too easy to get. And I always thought getting vitamins from the Apothecary sounded like it didn't fit the fantasy theme. Instead it reminds me of some old guy taking his pills every morning. So stuff like that needs re-balanced or maybe left out all together.

I definitely liked the 'realm' boards from 3e over the boards for 2e, so maybe that would be neat to do, and save table room.

#9 Bludgeon

Bludgeon

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:42 AM

I'm working on Dungeon homemade expansion, at least until the real one is released.

#10 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:59 PM

It is possible that they can made a smaller main board, to use  expansion boards around the main board 

But the board you get with the talisman revised is useless then.( or maybe not but then you have still a larger board

With the third edition, they know from the beginning that they would add 4 expansion boards if i am right..

And i want to see the dragon tower again ! That is so cool. Better than walk in those crypts that is always the same..

With the dragon tower, you have cards that you must draw, and it is always different .

They can easily made it, and put it in the center, for people who want a other ending by defeating the dragon king instead of a crown and climbing up a tower ! Or face the king itself who is a lich. That would be nice.

People can always choose for not using the tower, and walk in the inner region. I am sure that people will love this !

#11 ameritrasher

ameritrasher

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:06 PM

Anything with a new board works for me.

#12 Halbarad

Halbarad

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 03:53 AM

Having spoken to Jon at Talisman Island about this already, he suggested that the question of whether there will be a City or Dungeon expansion on it's way will be put to John Gooenough for the upcoming question and answer session. So hopefully we'll know soon. In the meantime it's great to hear that Bludgeon is making his own Duyngeon epxansion. I've been really impressed with his creations. Keep up the good work.

As for myself, I like the Dragon Tower expansion, that looked impressive on the old board. But as others have said, something new and in-keeping with the theme would be welcome - definately a new board based expsnsion though.

Fare thee well.

#13 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:58 AM

Maybe a graveyard or a swamp board would be nice, but first i want the old boards back ! ( The forest in third edition has a swamp space. Maybe they must make it bigger or something with nice artwork

Face the undead, or slimy creatures and mushroom men  ! 

If Bludgeon makes the dungeon board, i hope he will also make the cards from the second and third edition that you face in the dungeon. ( With new artwork off course)

I look forward too the dungeon board !

#14 dth

dth

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 01:04 AM

I'm working on some expansions for Talisman. I've got some alternatives to new boards and stuff, simply because

A. I think more boards is too "old skool" and we're in the 21st century now, time for something a bit different

B.  the 4ED board is too big :P We don't want this game to take up the same sort of floor space as Mighty Empires, now, do we? :D

That said, I've got ideas for the City, Chapel, Village, Tavern, as well as some other stuff, inc. alternative quests and alternative end game scenarios. I'm just about to finish my "Dungeon/Cavern" expansion (not quite settled on a name yet) and then its on to "Wildlands" and then "Talisman Quests". I'm hoping to do 4 new characters for each, along with some modular alternatives for each (i.e. you can use as much or as little of the new stuff, making the game as big or small as you desire).

#15 ravachol

ravachol

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:15 AM

dth said:

A. I think more boards is too "old skool" and we're in the 21st century now, time for something a bit different

yes an extention battlestar galactica ?

#16 Galahad

Galahad

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:49 AM

dth said:

Well... this is a Board Game. So, personally, boards are what I'm looking for. When I want something 21st century I play on my Xbox 360...

#17 Mattr0polis

Mattr0polis

• Members
  • 820 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:09 AM

Galahad said:

Well... this is a Board Game. So, personally, boards are what I'm looking for. When I want something 21st century I play on my Xbox 360...   

x2.

#18 Caliban

Caliban

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:10 AM

I may be in the minority but, I always enjoyed the six alternate ending cards. That way, you couldn't be sure you were just going to get the COC and had to make sure you could face a 12 Str 12 Cr Demon Lord. Leave out the Horrible Black Void and alternate endings would be high on my list of additions.

#19 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,284 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:14 AM

Caliban said:

I may be in the minority but, I always enjoyed the six alternate ending cards. That way, you couldn't be sure you were just going to get the COC and had to make sure you could face a 12 Str 12 Cr Demon Lord. Leave out the Horrible Black Void and alternate endings would be high on my list of additions.

No way!!! Horrible Black Void was the best ending! Regardless who drew it, it never failed to evoke window-shakingly loud laughter .

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#20 Caliban

Caliban

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:42 AM

Dam said:

No way!!! Horrible Black Void was the best ending! Regardless who drew it, it never failed to evoke window-shakingly loud laughter .

Heh. Ok, you have a point. The Horrible Black Void was great as long is it didn't happen to YOU...

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS