• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 The Spaniard

The Spaniard

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:45 AM

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to address some of the concerns outlined in the comments here.

The “Arkham Horror” (AH) line is among the most important in FFG’s catalog. We take your comments and concerns on this very seriously. To that end, I wanted to address some possible misconceptions on the new revised publication of the “Curse of the Dark Pharao” (CotDP).

As mentioned in the release article, the original CotDP was the first expansion for AH. When it was released more than 5 years ago, we could not dream of the impact that AH would have on the global hobby market place, and as such did not have the benefit of the vision and experience we had with the later AH expansions.

Therefore, to this day, CotDP has been the expansion that stands distinctly apart from the other AH products, as it does not share many of the same design principles and provides a diluted experience in the context of the ecosystem as a whole. This is not to say that the original CotDP was, or is, a bad product: Many people have had great fun with the expansion for years, there is absolutely nothing in the act of FFG publishing a revised edition that prevent players from enjoying CotDP to the same level they have since its release.

As we published “Innsmouth Horror” and work began on the massive “Miskatonic Horror” we needed to revisit the CotDP to think of how to integrate it with our future plans. We had two options a) Leave the expansion “as is” on the marketplace, or b) somehow improve the expansion.

The easy thing would have been to simply ignore the expansion and allow it to exist “as is” but apart from the AH ecosystem. However, our firm dedication to the AH line is such that we wanted both existing and new players to have the strongest possible experience, and CotDP had too many great ideas for us not to bring it to the same level of inclusion as the other expansions. We therefore took considerable time, effort, and expense to rebuild this expansion from the ground up, using all of our acquired knowledge from publishing the AH line for so many years.

The work on the revised CotDP has been substantial and has touched nearly every aspect of the product. Here is a rough list of the many material changes (while the game play changes are in many ways as big):

- 69 of 76 Investigator related cards are new
- 56 of 90 Ancient One or Environment cards are new
- 1 Dark Pharaoh Herald Sheet (never previously published)
- 1 Sheet of Punch board 4” x 7” (never previously published) with Ancient Whispers and Patrol Markers (new)
- Rule Sheet (completely rewritten)

While we understand that owners of the older CotDP edition may be frustrated by a revision being published, I hope you understand that what motivates FFG to publish this new edition, is our desire to make the AH experience as great as possible. After 5 years in print, publishing a CotDP revision is certainly not reactionary, and as with most product in the world, having a newer version of a product does not make your older product cease to function, and (other than the fact that something else exist) need diminish your enjoyment of your prior edition.

While we do on occasion publish “upgrade kits” (by "Print on Demand" or otherwise) where necessary, this revision is too extensive for that to be sensible. We don’t currently have plans for similar treatments of the other AH expansions.

While I understand that the publication of the revised CotDP expansion may not be a decision agreed by those who choose to feel their first CotDP edition is somehow damaged, I hope at least that this gives you more information in your assessment of such.

Best Wishes,

Christian T. Petersen
CEO
FFG

Christian T. Petersen

Fantasy Flight Games

#2 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:39 AM

There is more "new" and "updated" material than I anticipated. This increases the chances that there will be stuff from the old system that didn't make it to the new system (and doesn't detract from it in any way) that I can mix in.

Excitement all round, here! And though you have no current plans in updating other expansions, I'm interested to see if any material will make it to the Print on Demand section.

Very cool.

#3 jgt7771

jgt7771

Saving the world from cosmic evil since 2006

• Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:33 AM

I really hoped this was the case: not a mere reprint, but a remake.  "If we knew then what we know now..." is one of the best reasons to redo anything.  Hell, when you think about it, Arkham Horror is a remake itself; I don't hear a whole lot of people growling about THAT.

I put up with Dark Pharaoh until I couldn't anymore.  (That would have been not too long after Dunwich.)  It hurt to put it away, because Nyarlathotep is my favorite Ancient One from my Chaosium days, but too much of DP was hemorrhaging fun out of my games.  I'm not above taking some of the blame myself for that, but the elephant was in the room, and it needed to go.  It does make me feel better that by FFG's own words, "it wasn't just me."

Thank you so much for speaking to us, CP!  I am beyond excited to get Dark Pharaoh back in my games.  I can't wait to bring Exhibits back to my Cultists.  I hope this DP tells my cynicism to suck it!

What was that noise?

#4 Solan

Solan

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:41 AM

Thank you very much for this clarification.  I agree with Tibs; there is far more new material than I anticipated (though I ardently hope the three "AO Attacks!" Other World cards remain unchanged!). 

I appreciate you addressing the Forumites' concern on this matter,I would ask that you please address the other big concern on the Forum.  Because it was said there would be new Mythos cards for Dunwich, InnsmouthKingsport in Miskatonic Horror in the first preview, but then did not include new Mythos cards for those expansions in the list of contents later on, there is considerable concern over whether Miskatonic Horror will provide Mythos cards opening new gates in InnsmouthDunwich.  So please tell us: Will Miskatonic Horror have new Mythos cards opening gates in InnsmouthDunwich,not?    

#5 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 02:36 PM

I'm curious, given the amount of new material, if the updated CotDP could easily integrate with the existing one?  It doesn't appear as though redundant cards would pose a problem.

The Professor

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#6 volckaert.jelle

volckaert.jelle

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:47 PM

This was the answer I, and probably all of you, were waiting for!

I'll buy it for sure

#7 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,272 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:58 PM

Solan said:

(though I ardently hope the three "AO Attacks!" Other World cards remain unchanged!). 

Why not add an OW AO attack card for each AO ? I want to see Quachil Uttaus drawn, one shot, better make it count.

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#8 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,126 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 12:40 AM

Thank you for the clarification, CP :-) As others said, it's more a reboot rather than an upgrade; so, I can't wait to see it out

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#9 Jake yet again

Jake yet again

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 01:40 AM

The clarification is great. Given the sensitive nature of this expansion, please can you publish the updated rules sooner rather than later.

Lovecraft Country Horror - A completely FREE Big Box expansion for Arkham Horror, exploring the minor locations of the Cthulhu Mythos. Contains: Lovecraft Country Board, 16 Investigators, 4 Ancient Ones, 16 Skills, 32 Common Items, 24 Unique Items, 10 Spells, 16 Music of Erich Zann cards, 76 Leads, 4 Allies, 32 Monsters, 24 Injuries and Madnesses, 54 Mythos Cards, 41 Outer World Encounters, 52 Location Encounters for each Neighbourhood.

#10 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 03:19 AM

Phew :'D

This is exactly the sort of news I was hoping for, thank you.  Now I can pre-order it today.

Personally, I'm very pleased with this news about the product, I've had CotDP since the day it was released and am well aware of its flaws as much as I love it; however, in the future, you may wish to correct the oversight of allowing some of the people who recently bought the game to feel cheated, by making this sort of announcement earlier on in the development cycle (should the need arise, which hopefully it will not).

Thanks again,

Avi

#11 Razrael

Razrael

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:14 AM

When I first heard this I was a bit miffed.

But the explanation allays my fears.
Another on the to buy list 

#12 Innsmouth13

Innsmouth13

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 01:02 PM

Thanks for the post.  So if I understand correctly, those of us with the old version can either just forget about the new version play with it or grin and bear the fact that if we want the updates we need to purchase the newer version.    I am excited for it but still don't know if I will buy it.  Maybe after I get Miskatonic Horror.

You think I suffer from insanity, I don't. I ENJOY EVERY MINUTE OF IT!!

#13 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 02:54 PM

Innsmouth13 said:

Thanks for the post.  So if I understand correctly, those of us with the old version can either just forget about the new version play with itgrinbear the fact that if we want the updates we need to purchase the newer version.    I am excited for it but still don't know if I will buy it.  Maybe after I get Miskatonic Horror.

Basically our old version's will be scrapped, but that's not necessarily a bad thing,the patrols sound very fun (as does an exhibit item distribution method that will actually work).

#14 blark

blark

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:21 PM

I'm sold.  There's enough new content there that seems worth to shelve the old version of Pharaoh, which barely hit our table unless it was part of a scenario.  With the Miskatonic Horror cards aimed at this set too that seems extra worth it since that was a guaranteed buy for me.  Thanks for laying it out for us, sir.

#15 RocksLikeToast

RocksLikeToast

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 09:37 PM

very nice of FFG to comment on the situation... as it stands i still will wait to see a full list of the cards themselves to see if the cards are new or just revised older cards but the way it is described it leads me to believe it could be treated more as a CotDP 2 expansion and could be fun to retain some of the first games cards to mix in with this one...im not sure though as combining the 2 may make the game be a little pharaoh heavy but since pharaoh seems to be most's favorite thematically that might not be such a bad thing... anyways... good to see FFG respond to extinguish some of the initial fire... 

#16 Innsmouth13

Innsmouth13

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 01:48 AM

Avi_dreader said:

Innsmouth13 said:

Thanks for the post.  So if I understand correctly, those of us with the old version can either just forget about the new version play with itgrinbear the fact that if we want the updates we need to purchase the newer version.    I am excited for it but still don't know if I will buy it.  Maybe after I get Miskatonic Horror.

Basically our old version's will be scrapped, but that's not necessarily a bad thing,the patrols sound very fun (as does an exhibit item distribution method that will actually work).

OK Avi, I'll get it cause I like CotDPby rereading the Miskatonic Horror teasers I think I'll get the New one when my future wife isn't with me (She doesn't understand my love with the game cause she hasn't played it yet.  Fun fact: All the boards combined are longer then her 

You think I suffer from insanity, I don't. I ENJOY EVERY MINUTE OF IT!!

#17 playdead

playdead

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 04:41 AM

Christian-thanks so much for clarifying the situation. Makes ME feel a whole lot better about things!    From the sound of it, the new version will be a "must-have" for me. Thanks again!

#18 HyeJinx1984

HyeJinx1984

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 07:52 AM

I guess I'm gonna start going through removing all my CotDP cards... somewhat annoying since I keep them all shuffled together :P

#19 Agent of Cthulhu

Agent of Cthulhu

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:52 AM

Great news! Thanks for the update FFG!

I'll be buying then, this sounds well worth it.

How about clearing up the role of Miskatonic Horror now?

#20 Teryx

Teryx

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:53 AM

Thanks for clearing that up!  On this topic, however, has there been any word about if and/or how this new version will be incorporated into the Arkham Horror Toolkit iOS app?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS